LoEG GN: black dossier

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Dec 10, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    any of you guys picked it up yet? i was looking fwd to this but high expectation has me disappointed.

flashback, the 2nd league of extraordinary mini series, i found the ending anti climactic (not to mention predictable - they were using derivative properties after all), despite a great start with the inclusion of that mars adventurer yank guy and the focus on hyde, the ending felt like the concept was running out of steam. but with the prose story with reference to their their french counterpart i was expecting black dossier to be more...immediate?

anyways, black dossier starts off with

SPOILER

only 2 protagonist and fast forward to mid 20th century. the couple seem familiar but something seems off (one of the stories within a story gives a clue, featuring orlando and a life preserving pool) and deep smack in ian fleming territory. the world has changed much since we saw it in the previous mini series and britain, apparently for the worse.

to cut the story short, the protagonists are on the run after pilfering the black dossier from vauxhall and MI5 is on their ass. things are pretty tight up til the middle part, but then moore decides to break the fourth wall to end it, which is the main reason for my discontent.

still, between the main story and the backstory theres a lot of stuff to absorb (out of which only the woosters was recognizable to me), all is not lost, i will have a lot of material to ponder while sit on my porcelain throne.

2. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I liked the previous volumes better, but this had some interesting stuff in it. I suspect that's because I 'Got' more of the refs in the earlier volumes. I suspect I would have 'got' more of the shoutouts if I were British. As is, the original volumes pulled stuff from Literature that's considering 'Classical' literature these days, which is stuff that's probably a bit more widely studied these days.

Thank goodness for the Annotated League pages. They actually explain the age thing before hand, it's in the 'story' at the end of Volume 2.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    now dont get me wrong, i also love getting/not getting the reference, thats half the fun in reading these, when you find something obscure and you start to read into it.

i just hoped that he wouldve resolved the story in a more...traditional/conventional manner. because thats whats been great abt the representations here, in that these properties are dragged down to earth, they feel more real than what were accustomed since theyre not glossed over.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad I read these spoilers before buying this. I enjoyed the last two LoEG stories but I think blatantly breaking the fourth wall, on a series where that device hasn't been used previously, is one of the worst plot devices and cop-out resolutions possible (besides author-insertion). Definitely going to pass this up.