Lockdown's creator disliked his AOE portrayal

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Yeah, those were the NEST videos I was talking about - forgot that was their title.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Killing him off was the biggest issue. It felt like they were attempting to make something threatening that wasn't Megatron for a change so if they didn't kill off Lockdown there would be a danger out there that could return to cause trouble later on. A bit like how Loki doesn't appear in every Marvel movie but he's a threat that doesn't completely go away. With Lockdown being a one and done villain it in a weird way makes it feel like he wasn't really a threat after all.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Pretty Much my thoughts on this.

also I'm sure most would agree AOE Drift was still better than McCarthy's vision for Drift ever was. But neither are the MTMTE version that's for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Ironically, Loki has faked his death twice with a 100% success ratio. Even Thanos doesn't know he's alive.

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Fair enough, but how is that different from any other Transformer in the movie verse? It's amazing the movie transformers' war has last as long as it has considering how easy it is to kill them off.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

His creators want him back.

• Like Like x 5
  7. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

When I saw this thread and the date I was surprised this even came up again.

The thing is you shouldn't talk to Wyatt about it because he acts like a dick to people who like AoE Lockdown.

8. PPProductions

PPProductions Autobrat

Wait, people don't like Derrick J. Wyatt? He's the nicest bloke.

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Yeah, leading up to the movie Derrick wasn't hot about his design, he said IIRC that it was bland, that Bay and company were shitting on everything from the original design he helped make. At first I kinda agreed, there was little in common at first. Once the movie came out, I made an entire thread on how Lockdown is a terrific derivation and tribute to Animated Lockdown, and how it's great that the Animated original character got so much spotlight and maybe could get people into Animated. When asked about Lockdown after the movie came out, Derrick was more "meh" about things. I don't remember any word from him since.

He's got a right to his opinion, especially about the character he helped create. He's an artist with years of experience and has crafted so many great designs with blood, sweat and tears during his career, so he has different taste than me. He loves the original cartoon and other classic stuff (he even hates Scooby Doo on Zombie Island because he feels like it was made to trash the original show, and hates when the monster is real anyway), that's his choice. He doesn't totally hate the movies, though (at least in terms of their designs). He loved Blackout, Barricade, Frenzy, Scalpel, Long Haul, Hound (who he called Bay Bulkhead, and prior to AOE even expressed interest in a Bay Bulkhead) and even gave props to Optimus' first design because he said it looked faithful overall.

I loved Lockdown, I thought he was terrific, and easily the best adaptation of a Transformers character we've had in the movies in terms of faithfulness and evolution. But don't knock the guy because he didn't like the design. I disagree with him and I'm certainly more progressive than he is in some aspects of the franchises we both like (I LOVE Zombie Island and later Mystery Incorporated even though he criticized the real monsters in there from his own show). I've interacted with him semi frequently on Formspring, Ask.FM, and Twitter for the past six years or so (he was a great participant on the Transformers RP and I'm still laughing at his shit to this day), I love the guy. I wish he had been more receptive to AOE Lockdown but I can see why he didn't like him. Let him be.

Here's a funny story from Wyatt back on the Formspring RP.

Fowler's RP'er told everyone "Hey everyone, bots and humans alike! The wife's outta town this weekend, so I'm holding a big Fourth of July barbecue at my place. BYOB!"

Wyatt responded, "Oh, thanks man. Can't make it though. Because I'm going to be having a good time at home this weekend. You know, WITH YOUR WIFE!"

Later, Wyatt asked Fowler, "What kind of pie does your wife like?" Fowler responded, "I hope you choke on a cherry allergy."

• Like Like x 6
  10. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Legacy):
    Exactly which is why I brought up the Willy Wonka example. It basically all comes down to personal opinion. Wyatt's opinion shouldn't effect our opinions and opinions shouldn't effect his.

I did state that I considered it hypocritical due to how different characters were portrayed in Animated , though I understand that not all of them were his choice and more of Hasbro's, but even then I still accepted his opinion and didn't mind it despite my stance on it.

11. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Because it wasn't Lockdown.

Don't get me wrong, AOE Lockdown was cool - he was slick, smooth, even kind of charming. The way he talks about what he's seen throughout the galaxy gives off the impression of a cold and calculated war machine.

But that is not fucking Lockdown, and you will never convince me otherwise.

Lockdown in Animated wasn't some unthinking, unfeeling robot. He was brutal. He was petty. He was capable of getting SUPER FUCKING ANGRY to the point where he'd disregard his mission for vengeance. Granted, it rarely happened, but he WAS someone who got angry.

I never got ANY of that from AOE Lockdown. He felt like another generic movie villain who's only there so Optimus has someone to kill. What's interesting is that their interpretation of Lockdown wasn't a bad one - it's different for sure, but had they gone all the way with it, we would have gotten a really neat take on the character. Sadly we didn't.

Also, fuck anyone who says that AOE Lockdown looked cooler. The ENTIRE point of Lockdown is that he's ragged, asymmetrical, something more akin to Frankenstein than that Vitruvian Bot bullshit we got in AOE.

• Like Like x 1
  12. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we're talking about Bay in general with his movies, that's BS. Say whatever you can about Transformers. He has credibility for movies like The Rock, Pain & Gain and 13 Hours.

Also let the Drift argument die, we don't need people bringing this up again and again.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Okay, here's a few things.
    One: Derrick wasn't always this bitter. It's the one-two punch of how divisive Ben 10: Omniverse was and Teen Titans fans misblaming him for Teen Titans Go! when he had basically nothing to do with TTG! that soured him so much. He used to basically be one of the most fun guys in the fandom, and still goofs around with people every now and then.
    Two: Lockdown's characterization was rather accurate, but design-wise they took out everything that made him Lockdown (except when he had the hook). He was going to have a green and black color scheme and a space poncho (but still wouldn't resemble Animated Lockdown) and a more accurate vehicle mode, but they ditched that because as the wiki puts it, "Lamborghini presumably wanted their new car advertised."
    Three: Derrick never really liked the movies much to begin with. Either that or he just didn't like the sequels.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Spin-Out

I'd make a crack about Last Airbender, but apparently Shyamalan wanted to make it much more accurate to the show and it was the executives who screwed it up.

15. electronic456

News Credits:
    You didn't like the Rock? Okie-dokie then... That's a shocker.
    Also Pain & Gain is not an action movie mind you..... It's a black comedy. And great, we're bringing Shymalan into this to?
    I like the man and I'm pretty supportive for him since he stumbled with the Last Airbender and After Earth. He's pretty awesome on Twitter but this shouldn't bring a comparison to who he is as a director. Bay as a director is pretty fast paced and maybe that might be too much for a person but it can be rewarding somehow.

Shymalan is vastly different kind of director compared to Bay. Bay's general objective is to make people enjoy themselves at the movies while Shymalan is all about suspense and intrigue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. electronic456

News Credits:
    Shyamalan has been healing with ever since with the Visit and I'm looking forward to Split.

17. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    What's his excuse for The Happening and After Earth?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no, it was his call to make Aang's name be pronounced 'Uung' in the first place, among many, many other poor choices that never needed to be made.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Spin-Out

I heard it was kind of a mix of both. He made bad choices, the execs made bad choices, it was a mess.

Of course, you could argue one of the exec's bad choices was actually hiring Shyamalan to direct it...

20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I think he had a hand in writing the film too.