Local Comic Man Rant

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tampalicious, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Ok, this is so much bulls#!7 I had to come here and vent.

My local comic man out here in Hercules, Ca has kept me comin back since I was in high school in 96. Great guy, knows my family, used to chop it up alot about work, etc. However, this past year or so, the service has just been downgrading.
    It started off, he'd let me choose my covers. Around LSOTW, he started favoring some little kid, just "all cover A's he wants". So apparently, some little ass kid takes priority over a 15 year regular customer. And might I add I ONLY buy TF G1-ish comics. (no movie stuff, no animated, shit like that).
    OK. I got used to it as best I could. Cover Bs were Occasionaly better , like the Ironhide mini.
    I started gettin pissed off when I missed out on the better Ongoing covers. Rationalizing that the story was the main thing, I kept on comin.
    Ok, so now I went to get 27-29 a couple weeks ago. "I made a mistake" he says. Forgot to order 28. Ignoring my anger like Clark Griswold, I calmly purchased 27 and told him, I'd be back for the rest next time. "I have it ordered" he says.
    So I go in there today expecting, well shit at this point hoping, that 28-30 would be available, excited for some good ol Chaos.
    This ***** takes out issue fuckin 29, cover friggin B with the stumpy ass Jazz cover.
    "No transformers came in"
    "Really?..." I ask, and bore my eyes into his soul (I've seen him laugh and mock customers behind their backs in the past), knowing damn well you guys said they were released today.
    I'm just gonna say it. I am fuckin pissed. I'm stuck on issue 27, and its like . WTF man, I want to know what the fuck happens to Streaker, Drift an Rodimus.
    It's like withdrawals and I'm gettin tired of it.
    I'm not sure I want to put up with this crap anymore, it was really great knowing he had things saved for me, but apparently my money isnt good enough for him to treat me with respect anymore, so....
    I'm either goin with ebay, or straight switching to trades.
    Now I have to wait another fuckin week and hope this guy has my shit. If he doesn't, I'm gonna tell him it's been real, but please cancel my folder.
    This is horse shit.
    Please don't post spoilers.
    I wasn't sure this was to go in the comic book section or not

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Just download them already, man. You won't even need to pay.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Or you can buy the trades and read everything in one nice book. You know... support the publishers, artists and such.

4. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    This is what i do

5. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

You must be going to the smallest comic shop ever. What's the owner order... like 2 copies of TF each month. What is some random customer walks in and wants to buy a copy or give the title a try?

6. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    oh by the way:
    [​IMG]

7. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just buy them online man then get the TPB when they come out. Local comic book retailers are seriously going to be non existant in 20 years unless they find some way to beat digital comics.

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or use a mail-order service. I've been with mine for six years now, and it's the greatest thing. IDW books are 35% off cover, every month. Marvel and DC are 40% off. Lots of times, #1's and other special books are 50%, even 75% off. This month they're offering More Than Meets the Eye #1 and Robots in Disguise #1 for $1.99 each. Last Stand of the Wreckers HC for $19.49.

Listen to this: some time back I ordered an indie comic. It got canceled. The amount I paid got credited back to me. Then, last week, I got an email from them. The comic was going to ship after all. Did I want it reinstated to my order? You bet!

They know customer service. I suspect you could request the A covers and get them every month.

As long as I'm shillin', here: Discount Comic Book Service - save up to 35% on comic books, statues, hardcovers and retail products

You can even have your books bagged and boarded for you, if you want!

9. Syn3sthesia

Syn3sthesia Well-Known Member

All this anger for one issue! Check your blood pressure.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Switch comic stores

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Well you'd probably go nuts after reading the crap that was Chaos anyway ;) 

12. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Drop that loser. Go with DCBS or Mail Order Comics.

13. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Do every thing that is mentioned in this thread. A lot of good advice given already bout downloading, switching shops, online, etc.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your rant was very entertaining. Please keep giving him your money and keep us updated. :) 

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't be this guy.

Be this guy instead, if you have to.

It could be he's trying to defer to the kid to give the kid a good comic book experience, to keep him interested in the medium so it'll have new blood down the line. Sounds like he did the same with you when you were in high school.

Just like toy collecting, the kids are the future of the fandom, and don't have the resources or opportunities to get stuff that the adults do, so I think it reasonable that they should have first dibs on a lot of stuff.

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    The other day I added Perspecitve to my pull list. Maybe you should too. It's a rather enjoyable read.

17. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

this. ;) 

18. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I'd normally agree, but the ongoing is pretty damn awful. Anyone paying the full cover price is getting ripped off.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool story and all, but I don't think this is the kind of thing to worked up about enough to post a profanity-laden rant online. There's no sense getting that pissed off about this when you have so many potential options to remedy the situation - switching comic shops, trade-waiting, buying comics online, stealing comics online (don't do this), etc. You're a customer and not under any kind of 'contract' with them, so if they can't provide you with the service you want and expect, dump them. I had an issue with an LCS when I lived in Atlanta and I didn't get wound up about it, I just calmly told them to close my subscription file and that I wouldn't be doing business with them in the future.

If you do decide to give this store another chance, remind them (calmly and without the profanity) of how long you've been a customer, let them know that you have other options for acquiring comics and are willing to explore those options unless the service improves. If it doesn't, ditch them.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I have them in stock, always order plenty of both covers, have lots of Transformer toys in the shop and I'm not too far away....

Comic Ink
    7980 Amador Valley Blvd
    Dublin, CA
    (925) 829-5572