Customs: LOC combiner idea

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by dsn1014, May 12, 2009.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

So I need some painting practice, so I want to start on the small transformers for practice. For some fun I want to plan a gestalt with them too. I'm basing this on what I can pick up in the shops right now without bankrupting myself.

Longview has a nice shape and I imagine it may make a nice torso piece.

LOC Onslaught strikes me as a fine set of lower legs considering the canon articulation. A piece of plasticard across the gap that has the face showing up would do the trick.

I'm interested in hearing feedback on a couple of things.

1. Any thoughts on which LOC to use for the arms? Should I just use Onslaught?

2. To make Onslaught workable on both sides, the shoulder cannon needs to be swapped for the sake of symettry. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing this? I'm considering just trying to trim it out and swap it around if its doeable.

3. Connection pieces?

4. Anything that pops into your head.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bio you ask? Of freaking course! This is an in scale BW era cybertronian gestalt. My hope is it will match up nicely to the Classics deluxes size wise, maybe even be a bit bulkier. The role he'll play is as a Guardian type robot. During the Great Downgrade not all Decepticon war criminals were caught or downgraded. In response to this the Maximal ruling council comissioned the Predacon Bulk Division. Now the Predacons, descendants of the Decepticons, must hunt down their brethern to ensure peace so that they might work towards a position of strength again. They are a crack urban response squad, trained to combat superior forces in tight situations. When their co-ordinated efforts are no longer enough they combine to become the planet's Guardian against the threats of the past.

I love the BW story and I'm loathe to accept that the distinction between good guy and bad guy as black and white.

I'll try to have a horrible looking sketch of what it may look like combined this evening.

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I like this idea, but personally I would stray away from Legends Onslaught. I just find the toy so blocky, with no articulation. That being said, his blockiness may be advantageous for being a nice looking limb-bot (my mind would steer toward lower leg modules, personally).

Combiners generally have a "loose" symmetry due to their use of (again, generally) 5 different molds (Energon combiners a notable exception) but it is your project, so do what you want to do.

Will you be modding Longview into more of a spacecraft look, in the vein of the Cosmos customs we've seen using this mold? If so, and given the slightly futuristic assault vehicle mode of Onslaught, Cybertron Seekers or Cybertron Soundwave Legends might be good counterparts for additional limb-bots.

As for connections, I generally buy prefabbed ball joints through HobbyLink Japan Home Page , you can find usable sizes for most projects except the ginormous combiners that are all the rage. You could also try Lego Knights, as they have smallish ratcheting joints. Pillaging your junker TFs is another option. It really is trial and error, the same solution does not always apply from project to project.

Can't wait to see some progress! I love Legends figures. Legends combiners are pure win, and though smaller than their counterparts, they are just as difficult to pull off well. Given their small size, there's less margin for error, but don't let that stop you, have some fun!!!:thumbs2: 

3. dsn1014

Well this kind of spiraled from the idea of repainting Onslaught into the Botcon Megatron. I like lots of back story. While messing with him I flipped his feet out in vehicle and thought they made really solid feet/lower legs. I don't mind his blockiness. However I'm thinking of doing the repaint to Megatron first to see how I get on at that scale.

I'd like to keep a heavy symmetry, left and right to be the same. Due to personal preference solely. So the same legs and arms.

Longview has a nice large area on top in his alt mode. It looks like it might make for a convincing gestalt chest. I think I'd have to mod him a little to make him look like a spaceship, thought what kind I don't know. I love the toy and would like to have him as a BW brute that gets bigger when combined.

I picked up a couple of 1/100 gundam kits for cheap recently and I may see what can be done with them.

Cybertron Soundwave would be nice, as would one of the seekers, but sadly they're not to be found locally anymore and I have no spare ones. But I'll put some thought into alternatives.

Now I need to dig these guys out of storage and have a play with them and see is there a graceful way to combine them.

Thanks man, for now its just an idea, but just thought I'd put it out there in fear of forgetting.

4. big hank

News Credits:
    We have plenty of Legends Cybertron Soundwave's on the pegs here. We have a bargain retail chain called BigLots, they tend to get the Scouts and Legends in, albeit they are always a few series back. Great for nabbing figures you passed over on the cheap. Legends are $3.50 USD let me know if you want me to grab you a couple. I cant imagine shipping would be more than $7-8 USD to Ireland. I'd be happy to hook you up, if so just PM me. They also have the first movie Legends two packs for $6 USD, and the Universe 2.0 Mini-con singles for $3.50 as well if there are any you need.:thumb 

5. dsn1014

Thanks man, thats really decent of you to offer. I'll definitley get back to you if I can't find anything here. First though I'll scout around town here and see what my options are. You mention movie LOC as well, I hadn't even considered them. I'm going to start small I hope with a tiny repaint, if that works out then maybe I'll be in business.

6. big hank

News Credits:
    The movie aethetics might clash a bit, but I thought you should know what's available. Hit me up anytime, I plan on clearing them out on payday anyway, so they'll be here, they'll be waiting ( bad O.P. movie reference:rolleyes: )

7. dsn1014

I was just messing around with ways to make them combine and I think I have a winner for the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. big hank

News Credits:
    That's real good! Worthy of theft, if I dare say.:confused2 

Never did ask, do you plan on giving him a gestalt head? I know you mentioned making this kinda like "power up" armor.

9. dsn1014

Glad you like it, the knees sit in between Onslaughts threads nicely, though I'll need something moe than packing tape to hold it together.

There will be a gestalt head, I hope it will solve a problem for the shoulders. There is only a very light hinge holding the transparent part you look through in place on Longview, leading to the shoulders flipping out anytime I tried to mock up arms because of weight. Adding a head with a decent neck could pin both sides in place. I'm not sure what to use for a head, I have a Gundam head spare, but it might look a bit off.

I was hoping to make this perfect Transformation, but it looks like forearms will be in order. For joints I'm looking at the Bionicle balljoints.

Heightwise this guy works out at a head over a deluxe. So classic BW scale seems doeable.

10. big hank

News Credits:
    Have you thought about those "Six-----" heads? Y'know, like Sixwing, Sixtrain, etc. There are cheap knockoffs around, plus I think I have the Sixbuilder head and I know I won't be using it, so if ya need it it's there.

http://tfu.info/2003/Cybertron/SixTrain/facepic.jpg

This is the Sixtrain head for example