Power Rangers (2017) - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TFtoycollector, May 7, 2014.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Good is a subjective term honestly, one does not equate highbrow and classy to good 100% of the time, just as one does not equate campy kitch as 100% crap.

This trailer highlights what is to be expected of a Power Rangers movie, and while some of the updated designs do not sit well with me, I am not a fan of the Mega Zord's look and Goldar is far too thin with no defining facial characteristics making him seem more like a giant mecha in his own right as opposed to the winged bat-ape thing we had from the original Sentai, I can look at this and think, ok, it's worth sitting down and seeing. I'll probably have to see this one by myself, I know for a fact my parents won't want to sit through it, so I'll have to see it on a day they're sitting through one of their other film choices, but that's ok. It isn't meant for everybody to enjoy, and quite frankly hard core fans might downright hate the direction Saban went in, but in all honesty it could be way worse.

I'll give it a chance, and if it's good fine, if not... Well it isn't like I was hoping for a 90's renaissance the likes of the 80's one that we got a few years back thanks to Transformers.

2. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Some of you guys just can't lighten up. I think it looks awesome. Silly, action, robots, cheesy humor, and more action. Thats Power Rangers!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I'll give it a chance, but I'm certainly alarmed by some of the proceedings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I have to admit the trailer did look kinda cool near the end. I think the Rangers suits at least look good, and the shot of them attacking the putties in combat looked promising. Eh, I'll see it.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is a pointless statement.

Of course it's subjective, because I was stating my opinion. I was the one who said it, after all, it can only really be my opinion now can it?

Can we just stop doing this? Constantly meeting all criticism with pointless observational comments of "well that's just your opinion" and "good and bad are subjective." We know, it's all that's ever really talk about. More than the topics themselves I think. :lol  More time is spent these days criticizing what is and is not subjective than the films or what have you themselves. What does that accomplish?

6. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    Not at all! One of my favorite movies ever is Armageddon simply due to how fun it is. Is it a critical darling? No, it's just a turn-your-brain-off action movie in which John McClane and Batman go stop an asteroid, and that's great!

All I was saying is that I'm looking forward to this movie, and that it shouldn't have to be a critical darling. It just has to be a fun movie that captures the spirit of the original Mighty Morphin' seasons, which I think they're pulling off very well from what we've seen, while still injecting a modern edge into that original story.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Maybe I just don't find MMPR all that endearing when given a modern twist. My favourite seasons were, well, the good ones which didn't really on camp or cheese. They weren't super serious and there were jokes for sure, but when you look at a series like Time Force you don't see the constant barrage of self-awareness because, well, it gets old after a while. (actually Time Force really had no self-referential humour...at all. Nor did In Space. And RPM just had the one episode mostly) They were about telling a good story and having fun while they did it.

That, and it's not really that clever. So far the jokes are just meaningless incredulous quips. And... a drug use and race joke. Ha ha?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Man, Zordon's dialogue is really crappy for being one of those roles you can revise and redo on the fly as you get closer to release.

Individual Zords kinda look fine here, but yeah Goldar and the Megazord don't work at all.

9. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

So you simply snip one tiny bit of a sentence to comment on because the rest of what I said was pointless then, good to know.

I hate to be that guy, but In Space had the crossover with Next Mutation, so honestly you can't say it was some kind of masterpiece of television. Hell I haven't seen much in a long time from the older series, I've been neglecting my SHOUT sets due to price and budget reasons so I can't sit down to re-watch the series to get a more recent take on it, but even I know that even when Power Rangers got serious it didn't get as serious as something like Batman TAS or anywhere near the levels some would expect. They still had to rely on the Sentai footage after all and the plot lines as a whole, oh sure they went and did their own thing at times, but they never got to the level of serious drama. There was still a bit of kitch there a hint of camp. I mean for Christ's sake, Bulk and Skull spent an entire season turned into damn Chimps at one point and that was, I believe around the In Space era of the show, possibly before that with Turbo, I can't recall exactly.

Also, Mighty Morphin' started the Power Rangers, so of course they'd choose to update that for a live-action film reboot before jumping into something like Time Force.

• Like Like x 3
  10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This doesn't relate so much to your earlier post, but reminders that "good" is subjective have become necessary with the rise of online amateur critique. People take one college course on writing or film critique (or just glean enough terms from someone on YouTube who has) and suddenly they think they're an expert. This wouldn't be so bad if it lead more people to think more deeply about art and media--actually that would be great. But instead, fanboys of anything and everything are using the tools of critique as a bludgeon to try to beat their opinions into objective facts to be weaponized. They use their "superior" understanding to influence their fandoms and even the creators of the content. If they sound smart enough or loud enough, it sometimes works--usually not for the better. As such, it's become necessary to inoculate against this strain of false enlightenment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    It doesn't look too bad at all. Rita:drool:  looks smoking hot, that's for certain.
    It's unbelievable how many movies are in the race for this year's box office tickets.

After watching the trailer, I want a pacific rim style for a Voltron movie now

12. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

After seeing the latest trailer, the zords look a lot better, IMO. If I wasn't already interested in the movie, I would be now.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I'm not into Power Rangers, at all, but seeing the trailer has me thinking about checking this movie out.

14. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i just saw the trailer. it looks interesting and it got my interest. i wonder if my brother will watch it in theatres......i don't remember too much from the original series, but i do know i loved it as a kid.....

15. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Isn't calling it a live action movie kinda redundant when the series is live action anyway?

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, most of the problems seem to be more about the toys not doing a very good job of representing them. I'm guessing it's similar to what happened with the first Transformers movie toys. Many of them weren't very accurate, due to movie designs not being finalized until the toys were nearly finished. I can see slightly better ones potentially coming out for the home release.

17. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    New trailer looks pretty good, actually. Cordon and the robot guy are cool.

Zords in action look a lot better than expected and I'm honestly just glad we're seeing them battle as stand alone cords before merging.

The humor seems there and seems about as cheesy as the original series.

I have a soft spot for the original zyuranger suits, zords and bad guy designs but the MMPR show was always pretty badly written and acted in my opinion.

Goldar looks terrible though, super generic and devoid of character. Perhaps his dialogue (if he even has any) will change that.

Curious to check this movie out.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

This is the future.

19. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

This is literally just Power Rangers with a large budget, and I bloody love every bit of it. It's cheesy, some of the jokes fall flat, the Rangers jump and flip everywhere, the suits themselves look great... It's Power Rangers man. I am very much looking forward to this.

I also want there to be just one scene where the Power Rangers flip and land, and a random explosion happens in the background. Give me that, Saban.

20. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

Thank you. It's tiring to see, honestly. As a person who is actually in journalism and has a degree in writing (not that it means anything, or makes me any better than someone else), constantly seeing fanboys come out of the woodwork and begin critiquing/picking apart EVERY single detail of something... That's cringe worthy in and of itself. It wouldn't be so bad if people online used their opinions (especially when dealing with fiction, because it's such a serious matter), to have legitimate and intelligent discussions about stuff like this.

Instead however, critique, as you stated, is usually turned into a big and clumsy weapon. Of which is used to beat people senseless with. For something like Power Rangers, it's needless.