Live-Action Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by hellrasinbrasin, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

call it what you want, i call it a nude suit for a woman with a no-nudity clause! lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But she's not nude in either the comic or the animated movie. Why would she be nude in the live action version?

3. Dolza_Khyron

it sure looks like "nude" to me, otherwise, it wouldn't be made to look nude. I don't know much about the anime, or the manga, so forgive me. but the trailers sure do make her look like she's running around naked through most of it.

4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    He's right. She isn't nude. But it looks that way, and it's supposed to be. For appeal. It's not like it's an uncommon thing for her anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dolza_Khyron

oh i am sure it is. and they, and you, and he, can call it whatever they want. lol it's still a nude suit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

I always saw it as a visual way of showing her disconnect from humanity. She openly says that she is unsure about her being, as in whether or not she existed before, and so often acts very unlike a human. For example when she fights the dude in the water, she clearly doesn't care that anyone could be looking at her in a sexual way, yet when Batou see's her he feels the need to dress her. Same for when she goes diving, she strips without hesitation in front of Batou, but he looks away. So Batou acts more human than Major, as any normal person would feel the need to clothe themselves. So, at least from what I got from it, it's less about appeal and more about visual story telling. Also the way the scenes are composed don't really show her off in a super glamorous 'look at my body' kind of way. She's just there, as if it were any other scene. Another neat detail is that she very rarely blinks during the film.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    This. I'm still excited about the movie. Of course I would have liked more if the suit had less seems to be A) more in line with the anime and B) to look more like if she were nude, cos I'm a dude and I like looking at a nude Scarlett Johansson :D 

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Ghost in the Shell Anime Cast to Dub Live-Action Film in Japan

Atsuko Tanaka will return to voice Scarlett Johansson’s character, the Major, along with Akio Otsuka as Batou and Koichi Yamadera as Togusa.

“It’s been a while since they’ve played these characters,” Mamoru Oshii, the director of the anime said when asked whether fans would be confused by hearing the voice actors return to the characters after so many years away. “I definitely want them to deliver performances they see fit. They’re all pros, so there’s nothing to worry about, and I can only say that this is something to look forward to.”

It's nice when voice actors can do this.

9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'm more and more thinking about seeing the movie though I'm worried that the trailers and spots are starting to reveal a little too much about the plot.

I'm thinking of watching some Ghost in the Shell movies and/or shows to prepare for it. Any I should see in particular or recommend?

10. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty amazing. I hope that the blu-ray comes with the Japanese voice track, just so I can hear the original cast.

The first Ghost In The Shell movie is a must, since the live action film lifts some shots from it. After that, it's a bit of a tough question. While I love the sequel, Innocence, I don't think the live action version will borrow anything from that. If you can get your hands on a good copy of the Stand Alone Complex series (the blu-ray's are really bad), I recommend checking out the first season.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think that's the exact reason he SHOULDN'T watch the first animated movie. It's fine for us who have seen that movie a billion times already. It's too late to affect us one way or the other. But for him, watching the animated movie right before the live action may spoil plot points, repeat a bunch of the best moments... and quite frankly, most likely BE a better movie than this live-action version is going to be.

I think he's got a much better chance of enjoying the new movie if he doesn't watch Mamoru Oshii do everything 10x better immediately before going to the theater.

12. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    "This is Major."

"I am Major."

What, is "Major" her name now, rather than rank? How weird.

14. biscuits

I don't see how that could be an issue. The plot isn't the same as the original film, or any of incarnations. At most I expect some similar things but mostly references.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's your prediction. My prediction is an incredibly watered down version of the original story, with some new elements added in by people who think they're able to make improvements but aren't.

16. biscuits

I'm pretty sure they outright stated a while back that it wasn't an adaptation of the 1997 story, or something to that effect.

17. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As a reminder the Mondo special edition blu-ray of the original film is released tomorrow, or today if you have Amazon Prime :D 

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The original version, or the George Lucased 2.0 version?

19. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Original with the fixed English audio that the 25th Annv. blu-ray lacked, Dolby 5.1 DTS-HD

20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Let's face it. If she said that her name was "Motoko Kusanagi", how do you think that would fly? Referring to her only as "The Major" is a calculated move.