Live-Action Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by hellrasinbrasin, Jan 25, 2014.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I feel that unlike Akira; this could go either way. Cyberpunk is as good a setting as any to revive and with VFX like they are if nothing else the visual design will end up being excellent.

That said it's been many years since I sat and watched 'Ghost in the Shell' but I do remember that in-between the balls to the walls cyborg vs. cyborg/walking tank battles there was a great deal of conversation on matters of the soul and I think even legislation and other facets of law covering cyborgs and cybernetics.

I mean I'm up for it; but I'm not sure they'll be popular with the current demographic trends movie makers want to court.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Well, this is a director who made Snow White and her wicked stepmother seriously badass action girls (especially when Snow White was played by Kristen Stewart), so he should be good for making Motoko Kusunagi a real awesome heroine.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Fair enough, I haven't found the time to watch Snow White and the Huntsman, so no comment there.

So then we move to the next obvious question that undoubtedly has a sword of Damocles constructed of dicks above it: who plays 'The Major'? My first instinct is Rinko Kikuchi, but I fear that may be reaching for a popular choice without due consideration. That's before we get to other core characters like Section Chief Aramaki, and her two partners, Togusa and Batou. And what about the Tachikomas?

5. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Isn't The Matrix already that?

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Hopes on a scale of 1-10: -1

^Either knows nothing about Ghost in the Shell, or has never seen The Matrix.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea the matrix has more in common with Lain, then it does Ghost in the Shell. lol

i can see this working, at least better then some of the OTHER anime to movie, ideas. Snow White and the Huntsman, was a great movie in my opinion. and i am so looking forward to the sequel.

but if ghost in the shell can not make it as a anime to movie, then i do not see anything else being able to, ever. ghost in the shell is a well known anime after all. even though i don't think it is that great. but i know it is highly popular. or at least used to be.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Short answer, no. It is true that the Matrix took some inspiration from Ghost in the Shell, along with Akira and Ninja Scroll - although for the life of me, I never figured out where Ninja scroll figured into that movie. Ever.

9. godotislate

godotislate S-Secret Police?!

News Credits:
    If this is a signficant Hollywood production, I highly doubt the characters will remain Japanese. Maybe one or two in Section 9 will be Asian, but I'll be surprised if Motoko herself will be.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ghost in the Shell could work as a live action movie IF they got the right director, writers, and actors. Giving it to so worthless hack like the guy from that Snow White movie is NOT the way to go. Next thing we know, Kirsten Stewart will be Motoko.

But hey, she has the emotionless portion of being a robot down.

11. hellrasinbrasin

Ninja Scroll never was one of the Jap-Anime Inspirations for The Matrix BUuut Neon Genesis Evangelion was as was Ghost in the Shell.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Now I have never watched the original GITS movie nor Stand Alone Complex (and i plan too someday) but this could go in any direction. I don't think it would be impossible to do it justice.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Allegedly, Laurence Fishburne was asked to watch Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Ninja Scroll prior to filming The Matrix. I never understood what Ninja Scroll brought to the table for a project like The Matrix; now I know it was all lies! :p 

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

part of me wonders if this will come out at the same time of all the other "announced" animes to films...

Never 15th.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ninja Scroll was for its choreography and samurai style of combat.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Which is interesting since their combat scenes in the first movie do not involve swords but largely a mish-mash of Wushu and Wing Chun - hardly Samurai like :p  Though the choreography is a good point, I did not consider that.

On to another thought I had: what is to be their frame of reference? Is the the famous animated film, in which Motoko is a tad subdued and stoic, the manga in which she famously has a lesbian three-way and everyone has a much more off kilter sense of humour (Hey, I think that cop is raping your corpse - Batou to a dismebodied Motoko after...something) or Stand Alone Complex, which has talking spider tanks who act like children?

There's room for variation and thinning here: Dredd did the same thing by keeping the black humour, ultra violence and overtly (but necessary) fascist overtones of Mega City One's existence but, probably wisely, removed elements like Walter the Wobot, Dredd's robotic servent who talks and writes with a lisp, or that MC1 once elected an intelligent Orangutan as it's mayor........

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  18. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  19. hellrasinbrasin

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Will the actess be naked when going into stealth mode?