Live Action Evangelion?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by EvaUnit13, Dec 14, 2007.

1. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Looks like real stuff from Gainax and that they're going with Rebuild designs(making Rebuild the "real" Eva series) The Evas look super detailed! Sorry if posted before

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    It's probably a fan made video somebody made by the looks of it.

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Seriously? Because that is some fucking awesome fan work

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually ADV and Gainex have been in talks about this for awhile now. It's been all around most anime forums and conventions as a rumor for awhile too... a lot of people keep saying that ADV is going to go bankrupt over attempting a live action Evangelion, but sometime this past year they finally convinced Gainex to split the bill with them. So, a live action Evangelion is going to happen at some point if both companies have their way... whether or not this is part of that I can't say, but if you watch some of the other 'trailers' that come up after it I do know that one is a film strip type deal with a bunch of concept art done by Gainex (or licensed by them... don't know which) that's intended to be used for the movie from what I've seen on other boards.

...I'm actually kind of surprised that people didn't know this was in the works as we seem to have a lot of anime fans here...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  5. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

What are those people doing on that brigde.Don't they know angels are bad news.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya I've seen a couple of them done like this, nothing has been done regarding the live action movie aside from lots of rumors and concept art. It will be interesting to see if it even gets off the ground which is still very questionable.

7. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i read about them in talks about making an evangelion about three or four years ago.

8. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Yeah... a lot of concept drawings from WETA were circulating a long while back. Thing is, while this is certainly nice CG, it's very obviously CG. I would think/hope that on a real live action eva series, they'd modify the designs to make it more realistic.

EDIT:

Aha, found the site I was looking for.
    http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projects/filmography/galleries/neon_genesis

9. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Given the status of the series, I don't see changes being made. Besides, "more realistic" is Hollywood talk for "more moving parts" these days.

10. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm figuring if they ever get this thing off the ground they'll do better CG. On the other hand I think this would be a very big bomb... the series is, IMPO, overated by the anime fandom at large. I don't think it'd do very well with the general public.

11. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definitely. As much as I liked the show, and would like to see those new rebuild videos, the general public is not going to want to watch this.

And the other issue, is even if they do mix live action and CG, Japan's track record for it over the past 15 years in movies(from what I've seen), has been utter crap.

12. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everytime the subject of this movie comes up I keep thinking of G-Saviour... god that was horrible...

13. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I thought they are holding out on how Transformers gonna perform. Now TF was successful, we will see this coming around soon ?

14. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Yeah, I know about the Live Action project, but I just found this today and went "whoa, that's sweet!"

I would say introduce Eva again, and if it does garner much attention(which I doubt it will, Transformers has been around with countless series, but Eva only has one 1/2series and a few movies) start working on it. I'd hate Eva to be a bomb, I could see it being a huge hit in Japan, though

15. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So... you want them to re-release Eva again? What are we going to get the Super Platinum Edition with more extended footage? I wonder if the guys at ADV really want to go and redub the series a fourth time... or would this be the fifth release.

Don't get me wrong. I love Evangelion, but when I was working at Metrocon and Greg Ares (sp?) told me he was doing the new voice of Kaoru I was like 'The Hell' and than he proceeded to tell me they were re-releasing the series again and I just stared at him and asked 'Why?'. I've seen the series all the way through once and a few minuscule added scenes and dialogue are not enough to make me want to watch it again. Though, I am reading the manga and enjoying it to no end... best part is that Shinji doesn't act like a doormat for everyone all the time.

Honestly, I just don't see this as being a good venture. If for nothing else than the series itself is a pretty big mess story wise once you get halfway through and than to try and cram all that mess into a two hour movie... I don't think so. Unless they actually think this could pull off a trilogy. Though, I do agree that I could see this being a big hit in Japan if nothing else... they sure do love Evangelion over there.

16. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Not on DVD, like maybe a CN run or something to get it out there, but unlike TF, it probably won't hold it's popularity worldwide

17. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, I was going to say, I don't think the anime fandom could handle another re-release of that series... I know when the last one happened I had friends pulling their hair out because they were going to have to go and purchase the entire set again! :lolol 

EDIT: If anything might be used to revitalize Evangelion over hear I think it would be the current Rebuild Animated Movies. Those would be a good idea to bring something over that might breath new life into the franchise...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  18. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

With some speculation that Rebuild is a sequel of sorts to the original, it might confuse some newcomers if they release it without rerunning the original series again

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The CG in that vid looks very amateur to me, it is nice CG, but doesn't have any professional polish to it.