Live Action Anime Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gatehawk, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Gatehawk

Gatehawk Gooner

Okay this has been nagging me and I don't know how it came to my mind but which anime or animated (there is a difference I'm referring to here) show do you guys think would make a great live action movie? Well one that hasn't already done a live action movie.

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    None, because Hollywood doesn't know shit when it comes to adapting anime to live action.

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    this.

If faithfully adapted I like to see a sci-fi show made of Battle Angel Alita. But when I think which fate was left for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I doubt such a great show would last long. So we should just stick with the great animes/mangas we have and should not let them be destroyed by Hollywood.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there is a live action one for Prince of Tennis done in Japan.. It is on Youtube..

5. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pom Poko. Computer generated tanukis (or raccoons if you prefer) battling live action humans. And what the hell, throw in Jim Carrey and Kevin James. It'll have all the antics, CG talking animals, big name stars and testicles that American audiences crave.

I think the only live-action anime project I was ever interested in was the Evangelion project that was announced several years ago but never came to be...and that was only because WETA was helping develop it, a company I have a good amount of faith in.

As for ones I've seen, I didn't think the Tetsujin 28 movie was that bad. It was appropriately cheesy, like a Godzilla movie. Nothing I'd bother to watch again, but not painfully awful. I also remember watching a Megaman movie that was surprisingly good, but that may have been fan-made. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The closest you'll get are Japanese attempts like cutey honey or Sailor moon live action. Though Cameron does still have the Battle Angel rights.... if anyone could do it, it would be him. But right now your more likely to see crap like Dragonball. I'd prefer Americans to stay away from anime movies for a generation or two till actual fans can get a hold of the properties and the technology is there to make it work. The reason comic book movies are working now as opposed to the 80's and early 90's(only Superman and Batman were really any good) is that they are(Usually) in the hands of of people who respect the source material and understand the characters, and that the technology exists to make the effects semi believable. Currently producers think of animes like a fad and are just using it for the existing audience. They don't understand or care about the product. I question their sanity when they have plans to make Candyland, Battleship, Monopoly and Risk movies.(seriously they are doing this) Especially with the rights to many famous novels and other valid properties available. They recently passed over several vaild projects either for budget, or because the director didn't want to make Cuthlu a PG13 movie(simplifiying but basically one of the reasons)(Plus the director was right) So expect to see move old TV shows, classic movies, and random properties re-envisioned for the silver screen because Hollywood doesn't want to think outside the box.

7. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I am of the opinion that it makes no sense to do live action anime. If you wanna see anime, just watch some it's awesome. It's not like comic books where just having the characters move brings something novel to the table that the source material can't.

There is a flick done by Ghost in the Shell's Mamoru Oshii that is probably the most anime live-action film I've ever seen. You should check it out: Avalon(2001)

8. Gatehawk

Gatehawk Gooner

I would say the reason for that is that they choose the absolute worst people to produce it. In my opinion, every movie would be a million times better if Michael Bay had a hand in it's production, he definately knows how to make anything look badass.

9. Gatehawk

Gatehawk Gooner

Maybe not so much anime movies as it is live action movies, those kinds of movies need the right people behind the scenes. And the whole editing dub shit where they censor completely unnecessary stuff is a problem at times.

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    we just had yamato made in live action in japan, though we still haven't gotten to see it ugh

11. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

In most cases, turning an anime into real live action movies just doesn't work. A lot of the visual style is lost and rarely if ever do existing adaptions capture the spirit of the work itself in a proper manner.

Anyone heard what Hollywood was going to do to Akira? Absolutely horrible, lol. But with that said, I'm interested to see what James Cameron might do with Battle Angel Alita. He's been planning to do a movie on it for a while now.

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Or cartoons.

Or video games.

Or TV shows.

Or comic books (except Batman if put in the right hands).

Or pretty much anything.

:confused2 

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A gritty Gundam movie set during the One Year War and in the vein of The 08th MS Team might work well in the hands of someone like Neill Blomkamp, or perhaps Jon Favreau.

Personally, I think Quentin Tarantino might make a live-action Coyote Ragtime Show absolutely amazing.

14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I'd disagree. Let's look at ROTF as an example: yes it looks awesome when the robots are beating the absolute crap out of each other, but it's far from being a good movie for anybody who isn't a fan of robots based off of toys. The human parts tend to be really anything but bad-ass. Especially the part where Simmon's ass literally fills the screen wearing nothing but a thong. For decency reasons I will not post a picture of that to protect the innocents reading this.

Another example, this time having nothing to do with Bay, is that god awful Speed Racer movie from a few years back. It had the look and feel of what the old series had been trying to convey, but the movie itself is just painful to watch. The characters are all so one-dimensional and there's simply no plot to draw in the audience.

The only movie that I know of that can get away with being all substance and no plot is "The Expendables", which is so full of famous guys screaming with enough weapons to fill a GTA game firing all over the place there's no way plot could really be even crammed into it.

That would be certainly a challenge to write script for a live action MSG adaption (I can already figure everything involving Luna II and Ramba Ral would need to be cut), but I could see that possibly working if it retains the character development from the original 1979 animation. The robots themselves wouldn't be a problem, since ILM's work with Transformers shows giant robot battles are possible, and with Mobile suits it would be even easier since they don't need nearly as much mechanical detail as movie Transformers.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

hollywood? hollywood at most should just produce it, japan should make them, if they make live action versions of these animes.

but hollywood and it's directors should stay FAR away, the only exception is, i am still really curious to see james cameron's battle angel.

other then that. they should stay far far away.

they already struggle enough with bringing cartoons and comics to the big screen. lol hollywood needs to have directors who understand the japanese culture before they can even begin to make these movies.

while there are a few animes that have made it to the big screen as live action films, most of them have not been very good.

the thing about anime is it is animated. thus it should remain animated.

and maybe the general public should become re-educated in the capabilities of animation, and it is not just kids stuff.

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

micheal bay is a great producer, he's just a horrible director. :lol 

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This and at any rate its damn near impossible to translate anime to live action with out screwing it up.

Hollywood's usual method of screwing something of this nature up is adapting for a US audience.

18. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

He's great as both, but he can't just make a Script out of the thin air, ya know, that's what people keep forgetting about ROTF: It was filmed without a freaking script.

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Captain Harlock The Movie

It could work and be extremly awesome! Hans Zimmer to do a POTC style music, ILM to do the effects and space battles and Peter Jackson as a director! A dream come true!

20. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I can't wait to see the Uchuu Senken Yamato live action movie.