Little touches found in other lines, but missing in Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cowscows527, Nov 2, 2006.

1. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was just looking at my bookshelf of Transformers and I noticed something a little odd about the Classics when you compare them to other lines (in this case, Cybertron). Classics Optimus Prime and Starscream look very much like their originals, yet in the Cybertron Optimus had the "Matrix of Power" and Starscream had the "Decepticon Crown of Leadership" that were from G1 (notably the movie)

I can't think of any others right now, but does anyone else find it a bit wierd that Classics Starscream and Optimus didn't come with those little touches? I can understand that they might have been hard to integrate into the smaller-scale toys (the Cybertron figures were far larger), but I am a bit disapointed that they weren't included.

Maybe they could release a "scout-sized" pack with random artifacts instead of minicons... Can anyone else think of small things that you think should have been included but weren't? Thanks for any and all responses.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They got this right on 20th anniv Op Prime, IMHO, with the added bonus of the Matrix, energon axe and mass-shifted Megatron gun. How about Classics Bumblebee getting a jet pack closer to the one he had in 'Dinobot Island pt. 1'?

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Well, no, not surprised in the least... Classics is about bringing it back to Robots in Disguise, that's why we get rub signs again. (And why Megatron is missing his, no disguise there) Optimus didn't get a Matrix so he could have the passenger seats visible. As for Starscream, the crown was a premium to promote the bigger figure. We've had a lot of Starscreams without a crown and only one with, so I dont expect it. In a way Cybertron Prime's Matrix is the same way. He's the only main-line Optimus in the US with a removable Matrix, because it's part of that figure's gimmicks. So again, it's not something you should expect all the time just because it happened once.

Personally I think Classics is a very strong and enjoyable line simply because they didn't try to wedge in as many little gimmicks and extra parts like they've tended to do in the recent past like the crown and Matrix. No attention is sacrificed on add-ons so the main toys come out better.

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think a Classics Accesory pack is a fine idea. Start with a trailer for Prime, and go from there.

-Tony!

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Indeed a classics accesory pack would be nice.

6. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But I dont see an accessory pack as mass release as it has zero marketability unless your few lucky kids own all the bigger figures...., it would have to be online(likely the hasbrotoyshop)

7. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Maybe the Lukis brothers can make a Classics accessory pack...

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I think they are fine they way they are. They don't need the "extras" to remind us of the G1 figures since they basically look like them LOL.

9. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Back to basics, no big gimmicks besides transformation and the characters themselves.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Plus, they're G1 representation toys... no need to add (usually G1-inspired) touches that were prevalant in previous line's homages.

Like I doubt that any possible Classics Ironhide or Ratchet will have a detachable drone van undercarriage thing, since Energon Towline already did that. And its kind of lame anyway.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think much of it comes from classics toys being smaller overall than most of the larger toys with the 'special touches' mentioned, as well as being a general line, rather than a collector-oriented line (thank goodness). Robotmasters Convoy and Starscream didn't come with matrix or crown either.

12. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I second,, or third that. At least to give Bumblebee a gun for god's sake.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Here's the thing. Classics are special because the design cost went into giving us good updates of old characters that have special/good transformations and no line-specific gimmicks that can sometimes hinder toy engineering. If the trade-off is we don't get a Matrix or an Energon Axe or a crown for Starscream, I'm OK with that.

But let's keep it in perspective. It's not like every figure in the line has ignored past continuity touches. I'm speaking specifically at the moment of Rodimus's *COUGH* communicator *COUGH* hand-saw. And really, I'm sort of glad they skipped the larger extras and allowed themselves to concentrate on the figure itself. Makes them feel even more special in a way.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, agreed...the best thing about Classics is that it gives us a modern update of our G1 faves! Man, whatever Hasbro releases in the Classic series, I will buy! :D 

15. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

For this post I was more refering to random things packed into the box that are independant of the actual figure. For example the ships with BWX Megatron and Optimus (and Transmutate pieces), or the Axe/Mass-shifted Megatron with 20th Anniversary Prime.

But, I will admit that having objects that don't have a place on the actual figure have a tendancy to get lost and feel "tacked-on".

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I still wished Megatron came with a smaller version of himself for the other TFs to hold. I made a version out of sculpey, but it's not nearly as good as an official one would be.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    cue 'say hello to my little friend' jokes :|

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'd have gone for a "Mini-Me" one, personally.

19. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Only thing they lack IMO, is something that Reprolabels can definately rectify... ;)  :D 

[Edit: Just ordered a set of Autobot & Decepticon clear insignias! Factionless they shall remain no more!]

20. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

mini-me doesn't transform into a gun ;)