Little kids reaction to TFTM(86) ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jignat, Dec 12, 2006.

1. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

By young, i mean 5-7 or thereabouts..

For those of you keeping score, ive made a couple of threads about which classics figs to get for some young nephews.
    I also wanted to get them some G1 animation but with the rhino eps on ebay for exorbitant prices, the rerelease of the movie has tempted me to get it .

Since these kids have no context of the show, do y'all think the deaths/language would be shocking? or mild
    Any of wi/young kids show them the film and had any bad experiences or anything
    and of course did the little tykes like it even those who never had saw any G1 eps or had any G1/classics toys before hand?

Thanks!

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

It's a cartoon with robots and cool explosions. I seriously doubt they'll be thinking about what the back story is ;) 

And in terms of the language it's only 2 instances in the entire movie. I mean I was 6 when I saw it and my parents had no objections to my uncle taking me and my cousins to see it. And that was the 80's

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

then just show them the cut version maybe?

4. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    or... cough strategically?

Worked for Peter Griffin's farts at the PTA meeting.

5. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I have it and my sons (aged from 2-6) love it. The only thing is the first couple of scenes with all the autobots getting killed upsets them, so they just skip that part of the DVD.

6. lobes

lobes You okay, Bumblebee?

well i was 7-9 when i watched it (im not sure when lol). and i think i cried when optimus died, and still do every time i watch it.

maybe im just really weird

7. WeX_nFx

WeX_nFx ArtDesign TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was born in 81 saw it in the theatre so I was like 5 I guess, yeah I thought life as we knew it was over when prime,ironhide,windcharger,ratchet,prowl,brawn, and wheeljack died(my favs)... I hated the decepticons for years after that... Then Megatron in Beastwars got me liking the bad guys again........yes....

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

The kids love it man. You cant go wrong.

9. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

NO! DON'T DO IT!

That movie ruined my childhood, and I was in that age group that you speak of.
    I wouldnt show it to young children, as I know what it did to me.

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I was five when the movie originally came out and I loved it...granted I loved Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Prowl and Ironhide so seeing their deaths was a bit shocking...but thats beacuase I grew up with the characters. Showing a kid these days COULD upset them, but it's not like they watched all of Season 1 and two, grew to love the characters, then see them offed in a matter of seconds like we all did.

11. LadyStarscream

Let them watch Season 1 and Season 2 if they want something to relate the Classics toys to. I'd skip the movie. It had bad psychological effects on me. To this day I can't watch a movie without first finding out if anyone dies.

12. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I was six when the movie came out and the only thing I really remember from seeing it was that I loved the new characters and I thought Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was awesome. Still do to this day.

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT, when me and my cousins saw it we thought more of the gags like the door falling on the Quint and the dance number. We didn't care that people died.

I again say show them the movie worst case scenerio they don't like it. But don't worry about the movie causing psychological trauma or anything.

That might be true for you, but to be honest I'd say that's the exception more then the rule.

If I can get over seeing Bambi's mom being shot as a kid. Then I'm sure your average 7 yr old can handle the movie. And that scene in Bambi trumps IMPO anyway anything in TFTM

Hell as far as we know those kids mentioned by the original poster could be Power Rangers fans. And there's nothing in TFTM that isn't in an episode of Power Rangers. In fact at times Power Rangers is harsher then TFTM

14. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

ones a star wars prequel fan, so i guess im not worried about him.
    The other likes thomas the train and vehicles in general....

I got the former strarscream classic, and the 2nd astrotrain and im gonna get the movies as well.

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm working on converting my nephew ;)  He likes cars and robots so he's partway there already, and I let him take a good look at G1 Sideswipe while I transformed him... I'll break him in with the cartoon a year or two from now!

16. LadyStarscream

There must have been a good number of kids upset about it if they felt the need to do a featurette on the 20th Anniversary release explaining why they did what they did and how they didn’t think anyone would mind, etc And when I say it damaged me psychologically, it did have a negative impact on me, but it didn’t actually send me to therapy or make me insane or anything, it’s just something that I remember upsetting me a great deal as a child. I was a spoiled kid with the ideal childhood, so I guess I wasn’t ready to see all my heroes die in on swoop in an otherwise seemingly perfect world. It was very unexpected to see shots I saw everyday on the cartoon all of a sudden become fatal. I was young, I was devastated, and I abandoned Transformers for a long time! But every kid is different, personally for me it was more than I could handle at the time.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

My oldest son will be 4 in a couple of months. I showed him the movie for the first time when the new DVD came out. He liked it and didn't seem too bothered by all the carnage. Then again, we've raised him on Looney Tunes and 70 year old Disney shorts, so he's used to a fair bit of violence in his cartoons. He did ask me why Optimus Prime died, but we talked about it and he wasn't traumatized or anything.

Actually he identified with Unicron. Now when he plays Transformers he pretends to be Unicron eating them. :) 

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Kids gotta learn about death and destruction some time...might as well start em young!

Kidding. I think kids today would like it, for a while anyway. In my opinion, most cartoons today (including TF cartoons) are wayyyy too targeted toward those with attention deficits. I've tried to watch the shows, but I can't get into them. They never seem to make a point...they just go on and on from bit topic to bit topic without appearing to come to any real resolution. Shows move much more quickly today than they used to, it seems, and I think "modern" kids would lose interest before they got more than 20 minutes into the movie. Just my opinions. :) 

19. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My cousins watch it alot (ages 6,7 and 4) and they didnt have any problems with it. the only way i could see this upsetting young kids is if they had a previous knowledge of the characters. Just depends on what the kids are accustomed to tho

20. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

who the hell are Optimus Prime and Megatron? :p  When I was little it was the Autobots being led by Rodimus Prime and the Decepticons under Galvatron!