Little information about ROTF Devastator toys

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by S250, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Magnimus

Magnimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait for it...

After collectors have both purchased the separate robot figures that make up Devastator but do not combine AND the combiner version of Devastator, Hasbro will release a retooled "premium" version of Devastator in which seven robots combine into one.

You heard it here folks. I have seen the future and it is lame. :banghead: 

2. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    :wtf:  Ok wow. Who's brainchild was this? :noob  Yah someone wasn't thinking straight--- :D ream:. Buy one set to transform each by themselves and then BUY another set that only combines to form one big robot? That just sounds unbelievably stupid!!! Well I'm ONLY buying the individually transforming ones and I'll leave the rest to those who want to spend their money otherwise. What a load of #@$%!!!!

3. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Well hopefully Devastator will be a supreme class. If its that big with the individual bots at deluxe size, it could make for a cool display. Not sure if it would be worth the money, but it would probably look cool.

4. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Hmmm.
    Whilst I'm dissapointed if this is true, I have to say, I also wouldn't be suprised. And I don't mean that in a "Hasbro sets out to screw the fans" kind of way, I mean that in a "hitting the limits of what's techinically possible in a toy" kind of way.
    I've been fiddling around with my movie Bonecrusher Deluxe (who has an alt mode similar to a construction vehilce in many ways) and the engineering that goes into his transformation to get him from vehicle to a bot with the complex movie asthetic is quite immense. Lots of hinges, folds and joints. Now, if he had to have a THIRD mode, to become say an upper arm or lower leg, I can quite see that he'd be a fragile, over-engineered mess that was very prone to breaking at worst or having his tabs constantly fall out at best.

For better or worse (and I'm certainly not looking to get into THAT whole can of worms:lol ), the movie asthetic is a very complex one, and having a Deluxe that can accuratly reflect that complexity in robot mode, limb mode AND have a good vehicle mode AND be a workable, sturdy toy...I can quite see why Hasbro might have to simply pass on that.
    "I canna change the laws of physics, Jim!"

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

So basically more double-dipping. Buy the individual deluxes that transformer into limbs and buy the individual deluxes that transform into robots.

DISAPPOINTING...to say the least.

But we're still gonna eat it up.

I'd rather they pick one or the other. Either its individual distinct robots that merge into robot or one robot that combines all his drones when he transforms.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actualy like that idea, and I'll probably get just the big version because I'm a fan of Power Rangers style big bots.

7. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Good Idea I think. Deluxes that change into robot modes from vehicles will give us good representing of their self personalities.

The gestalt being just vehicles I think is being over thought as a deluxe/voyager that sticks its arms legs into things and gets bigger. The friggin vehicles will form the arms and feet plus a couple forming the body as well since there are 6-7.

They are trying to give us a better combiner than Energon(slap a part on and poof limb) and G1(love em but they aren't the most creative) that can still be accurate and playable.

I'll buy em

8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not everyone.:lol 

But yeah, I understand how ya feel. Even though I don't feel this way personally, this is similar to how many folks feel about the upcoming Energon combiner repaints, kind of a "what's the point" feeling since there's a new mold Silverbolt and Onslaught.

9. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:

Funny you say that since i was thinking in buying both sets. XD I really mean it if that's the case. If i dig Devastator i will buy the combiner set, i dont mind if they are non-robot drones, and then get the Deluxe versions if they look cool. ^^ Sure i will waste more money but right now i dont have problems with it. :p 

10. Big_Truk_Convoy

Big_Truk_Convoy Transforming is the gimik

Great move by Hasbro, now we can have a sturdy, articulated combined figure of devastator for once.

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hummm..just like universe ultra silverbolt, then a universe superion.

Im seeing a trend in hasbro...its lamb and stupid.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just hope it is better quality than the Robot Replicas.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a hard time believing this is true, unless it's a "PowerBots/CyberStomper" thing for the kiddies.

The last set of new combiners featured beautiful alt modes, fully articulated individual modes, and (with the exception of the hand/feet issue) reasonably decent gestalt modes.

I don't believe that with the knowledge/experience/technology HasTak has gained five years down the road since Energon, somehow creating a seven piece combiner that has these same features and some significant improvements would be beyond their abilities. Give those guys some credit.

14. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
    Maybe the problem is Hasbro looking at them as robots that "need" each other. How about looking at them, I dunno, as transformers in their own right? I mean come on - if we're having 7 deluxes that combine, that's still seven DELUXES. Those should be full toys in their own right. Yeah, they combine - but Hasbro should focus on the former rather than the latter. Then maybe we'll finally get a decent gestalt...

If Hasbro's "more involved" in the design process this time, why the hell COULDN'T they design the toys in tandem with the movie peeps to create something that adequately represents all three modes? It's not like we need perfection - Movie 1 proved that. Just close...

So what - the other six construction vehicles form a sort of "armor" for the one leader?

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I guess Devastator is no different than Arcee's bot mode made of 3 motorcycles. Vehicles merging to create one robot, like Duocons, only with more vehicles.

16. Supremus

Supremus Well-Known Member

I'm gonna wait and see.

If movie Devastator ends up looking like a scrapmetal mess like movie Megs, I may pass on it. I didn't buy Megs and Starscream, I'm not really obligued to Devastator.

And yes, I agree that a movie-verse 7-bot combiner would be an engineering nightmare of a toy.

And I also agree that Hasbro will give it to us in the premium line, six months after the movie debut.

17. shin03

shin03 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well, if your not going to do it right, don't do it at all.

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hrrmmm. If true, I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, it probably means the individual toys will be better overall because they don't have to worry about a third mode. On the other hand, it means that we won't have a "true" Movie Devastator that doesn't "cheat"...

19. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

News Credits:
    I don't find this disappointing. Modern combiners, I usually have them only in combined mode anyway, because so often the individual robot modes are themselves disappointing. This way we get a good combiner AND good individuals. They're just not the same toys.

And since Hasbro likes (lately) to provide multiple VERSIONS of characters anyway, it's stoning two birds. And I can skip one or the other if I like.

20. Big_Truk_Convoy

Big_Truk_Convoy Transforming is the gimik

I would bet money they chose to spend more time and money figuring out and executing Prime and Jetfires combination which will be their flag ship characters.