LITG - Batmans Future and WGA

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    The following are rated Amber, which means there's likely an interest involved or the likelihood isn't set. Read more by clicking the source link below!

Source: Lying in the Gutters: Volume 2 Column 129

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gee thanks for the spoiler warning there buddy!

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    DC's hesitation over the Batwoman book is so damn stupid.

4. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

they are going to kill Batman?

5. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

That's the rumor that's been going around for a while now. I think it has something to do with Final Crisis, but I could be totally wrong.

6. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

God I hope they don't kill him, it just seems like a bad idea.

7. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I wondered after reading Batman 666, and realizing that Morrison was writing Final Crisis if he intended to actually kill off Bruce in the upcoming Crisis (and if DC would actually let him). But I dismissed it what with the timing of the movie and all. You'd think they'd want Bruce still in the books at the time, not a new #1 that's a totally new Batman. Still, if they do it, if the story's good, it could be awesome. The only problem I ever have with big change is the retcon that usually follows years later to return to the status quo.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marketing gimmick! You know he'll be back. No way can DC get rid of one of their 2 top characters forever. They tried it before when they broke Wayne's back. Azreal as Batman sure didn't last long.
    Even if a Robin takes over, it will only last maybe a year. Jason Todd?? He was dead. Dick Grayson and Tim Drake were the only living people that were/are Robin last time I checked. I'd say Dick Grayson will take over since he did take over for a time. I remember they 'killed' Mr. Fantastic in FF but he popped up a dozen or so issues later. I say that in a year, it will be revealed that Bruce either faked his own death to go deep undercover or someone faked his death and is holding him prisoner.

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    If it ties into 666, then either one of the Robins or former Robins will only be Batman temporarily. Damian killed ass literally as Batman in 666. Holy crap was it awesome, especially towards the end with his monologue, while he executes justice.

10. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

It'll be a short-run story. They won't kill off Bruce Wayne, it'd alienate too many readers.

Azrael amounted to little more than a joke character in the end. Pity Quesada wasn't in on the joke at the time.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    You need to check again. ;) 

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Actually I think I concur with you that it has something to do with Final Crisis. Countdown (to Final crisis) should be ending sometime May next year, so DC will probably be gearing up for the event in the months following that. The Death of Batman would probably a likely event to kickstart it off. Even more telling was that Final Crisis promo image that had several top tier DC characters on the front (including Batman) with a tagline, "Heroes Die. Legends Live Forever". In other words, there may be quite a bit of truth to this.

I have no doubt in my mind that Bruce Wayne will be brought back, but after Final Crisis, I don't think things will be the same after he returns. It all boils down to what DC is trying to accomplish with this Final Crisis event. I have a nagging feeling they might be trying to go for a complete reboot of DC continuity, and not mere Crisis on Infinite Earths revising. The signs are there, the Death of the new Gods of Jack Kirby's Fourth World and the hinting that there might be a Fifth World. Grant Morrison saying Final Crisis will end with Kamandi the Last Boy and the hints of the "Great Disaster" originally mentioned in the Kamandi stories. Something tells me DC is trying to segue standard DC continuity into the Kamandi the Last Boy stories while uprooting all their existing heroes and rebooting them on this Fifth World which would just be another alternate Earth which DC will adopt henceforth as the main earth with a completely revised history.

Yeah, it sounds kinda silly, I'm just attempting to connect the dots. Idle speculation, nothing more.

13. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Boooooo.

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I think this would be a mistake.

Captain America and Superman were exceptional and different kinds of icons. I don't see how it would add to the character.

15. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

If they kill Batman, that's 2 more books I can drop from DC, WHOOO!

And I hope they don't start at #1. The best thing DC has going for it is that they have 4 books well into the 650+ range: Superman, Action Comics, Batman, and Detective Comics.

16. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

Bruce Wayne has as good of a chance of dying and staying dead as Superman did, as Steve Rogers does, and as Peter Parker will (just wait for it). Stupid marketing gimmick BS. . .I hate the state of the modern comic industry that they resort to this crap every couple months.

17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, may happen but would NEVER last more than a year.

18. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Actually he did die and come back (Check "The Other"); it's just that it happened within two issues so no one really noticed.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

How did he come back? I guess nobody can stay dead. Jason Todd was a new character and was not an icon in comics so killing him forever would be fine. Sounds like they ran out of story ideas. Maybe Commishiner GOrdon's wife can come back (Joker killer her also in No Man's Land). How about have everyone Joker's killed come back and they can all laugh at Joker for being a loser who can't kill.

Why have a storyline that Bruce's parents are still alive? They faked their deaths and have been living in Europe all this time.

20. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    If they killed him and he stayed dead, if there was a chance that genuine, lasting change would result and that the series might be rejuvinated because of it, then I'm all for it.

But somehow I can't see DC being that courageous. :(