Listen to the whole Superman Returns Score

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atlianz, Jun 19, 2006.

1. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Sweet find

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Awsome find!

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm listening to it now, and I'm fairly certain thats not the Score to Superman Returns, its the Score from the 1978 Superman film,

I've got that album on CD... Best score ever (except for maybe Conan the Barbarian). But anyway, yeah, sounds like Superman, not Supes Returns.

I take that back, from 4 minutes in its new, so I guess it is superman Returns. I like the fact the two scores are so similar, all kinds of nostalgia.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Heh, this is cool. Another CD to buy for my collection!

6. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

If that is indeed the score for SR, then I'm for one glad they kept it with the classic theme. One of my favorite movie scores of all time.

7. TSFC

TSFC Banned

I love the Superman theme. It's fantastic. It's one of the most stirring pieces of music ever created.

I might be exaggerating here, but I'd put Williams among the likes of Mozart.

8. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Juts listened to the soundtrack (and for those doubting, this was sent out by WB, so it's not fake) and it's quite amazing. It seems like Ottman approached the soundtrack similarly to how Williams apprached the SW Ep3 soundtrack. Take recognizeable pieces of the old themes and incorporate them into new music. It works amazingly well. It's also quite dramatic and may rank up there as one of Ottman's best works.

One thing I like is that Ottman is the editor of the film as well. His score worked incredibly well in X2, and I think him being the editor contributed to that greatly.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

He did that for Usual Suspects as well. Worked well there too.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I have great admiration for Ottman's work for Superman Returns. He was doomed to be criticised no matter what he did. If he was too similar to Williams, he'd be called lazy and unoriginal. If he was too different, he'd be mauled by fanboys for being too different from Williams.

That said, DESPITE the HUGE shoes he had to fill, Ottman nevertheless delivered a GREAT score. I put my WMP to loop and listened to the soundtrack 4 times yesterday while doing work.

It has just enough ties to Williams' work, and it has just enough new themes (I don't know the names of these themes, since the stream didn't give me names, but there was at least 2 villainous-sounding tracks that I thought were great. One of them sounded like Lady Deathstrike vs Wolverine fight from X2, and the other one sounded like General Grievous's theme. Good stuff.)

I am very thankful that Ottman didn't go for the "Lois & Clark" or "Batman Forever" route with the music, which was to take a very beloved theme and change it ever-so-slightly and thus completely destroy it.

11. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

Here's a good breakdown of the tracks:

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=196