List the G-1 toys that had decent poseabilty compared to the majority.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigermegatron, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

List the 1980's G-1 toys that had decent poseabilty compared to the majority. All G-1 toys count from the USA,UK & Japan.

SPECIAL NOTE: If your not going to treat this thread serious. then don't bother replying with joke type replies & listing TF G-1 toys that are obvious brick formers like 1985 Cosmos.

Another SPECIAL NOTE: For a TF G-1 toy to qualify as having decent poseability over the majority of brick formers. it must at least have the following moving joints in robot mode. walking forward or backward hips. bending knee joints. up & down shoulder joints. up & down elbow joints. extra's joints but not really needed in this thread might include feet/ankle joints,rotate wrist joints,turning robot head.

Last special note: G-1 Transformers that have animal alt modes with robot modes that are brickformers don't count. regardless how poseable the animal modes are. the robot mode needs to have at the very least walking hips,bending backward knees,up/down shoulders,up/down elbows. anything extra like feet joints,waist joints,up/down head,rotate wrist might qualify G-1 toy who's missing 1 of the 4 required joints.

here's my short list:

1984 Optimus Prime

1984 Soundwave

1985 Jetfire

1986 Cyclonus

1987 headmaster Brainstorm

1987 Targetmaster slugslinger

1987 targetmaster triggerhappy

1987 targetmaster misfire

1988 quickswitch.

1987 heamasters base Scorponok

1987 headmasters base fortress maximus

1989 action masters.

1990 Brave Takara Dinogeist. it counts because it was a obvious Grimlock updated G-1 homage for either Zone or battle stars that got cancelled then put in the brave toy line. most noticeable it has the classics 1985 grimlock T-rex head & neck design.

1987 horrorcons,apeface & Snapdragon.

1986 tecnobots scattershot

1986 terrorcon Hungarr

1986 razorclaw

2. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Roadbuster, Perceptor, Dreadwind and Darkwing could be on that list as well.

3. garyjale

garyjale Banned

News Credits:
    Liokaiser

Monsterbot Doublecross

4. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

both toys you mentioned are obvious brick-formers with very little articulation in the joints.

doublecross's robot legs can't walk or bend backwards.
    doublecross's beast mode while being a bit more poseable, only has one moving joint in the lower beast legs. not sure it the beast smal arms can move but if they do I asume they only have one joint. I don't really count all the joints in the 2 necks of the beast mode because it does nothing in the way of helping the toy walk or hold a weapon.

liokaiser/breastforce team mates are brick formers with very little to no joints.

5. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

I always thought TM Point Blank had pretty good articulation for his time.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

Roadbuster DOESN'T COUNT he only has up/down shoulders. the legs appear to have walking hip joints. but the hips appear to lock in place & need to be unlock for walking hip legs. once un-locked the hips are extremly loose. the toy does appear to have feet joints but are only there for transformation & can't be used for robot mode poses. there is no bending backward or foward knees or elbows. the robot head can't move,nor can't the fist,nor waist.

I'm on the fence about 1988 darkwing & dreadwind. because the robot legs can't walk. since the hips can't walk any poseabilty the knees "might" have can't be used thus are rendered usesless in robot mode. splitting hips without walking hips i'm on the fence about. I'm not sure about the knee joints I think they might bend forward for transformation but maybe not backwards which honestly counts as knee bending articulation.

Perceptor sort of counts because he has up/down shoulders,updown elbows.
    backwack bending kneee joints. feet joints. splitting hips. rotate 360 swivels in both legs. since the toy can't walk the knee joints are rendered useless & cancelled out. things that make this toy make the list are the added feet joints & 360 degree swivel joints in both legs.

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I just watched a U-tube video since I don't own the toy.

I honestly don't think 1987 Targetmaster pointblank qualifies as having decent poseability compared to the majority of G-1 toy.

Pointblanks lower robot legs are one solid piece of plastic that can't seperate.
    the hip joints can't walk or do the splits. any knee bending backward articulation is rendered useless because the hips can't move & the lower legs are one piece of plastic. knee backward joints are only there for transformation.

it has a waist joint but that's useless if the hips & knees can't move.

The robot arms on pointblank are very poseable. but the lower half is paralyized.

So pointblank while being a decent toy isn't very poseable & has a lot of useless joints like the knees & waist because the hips can't walk or do the splits.

8. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

Well, yeah, but G1 Prime's lower half is just as useless in terms of posing. Sure, Prime's legs move back and bend at the feet & knees but you can't really get any poses out of them. Prime also doesn't have the waist rotation that PB has, and while Prime's wrists rotate, it's because they're removable whereas PB has the wrist rotation without it being a side-effect of parts-forming. So, if G1 Prime makes the list, I'm gonna go with my original suggestion that PB belongs there as well. :) 

9. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Hun-Grr

10. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I'm kind of surprised nobody mentioned Galvatron yet.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

ofacuse 1984 optimus prime makes the list. he's the most poseable & articulated diaclone mold used in the 1984-1985 TF toy line.

1984 Optimus Prime has the following articulated poseable joints:
    shoulders that move up & down. elbows that bend. 360 degree swivel joints in both elbows. rotate 360 fist. legs that can walk backwards & forwards. knees that bend backwards. feet joints that move & can be used for posing.

1984 optimus prime's fist do pop on/off but the rotate 360 degree which allows for dynamic poses with or without the gun in the fist.

REGARDING POINTBlank,he paralyized from the waist down. the hips can't walk or do the splits. the lower legs are one solid piece of plastic that cancels out the knee joints since the can't be used. having decent poseable arms but no poseable legs means he doesn't count toward the list of decently poseable G-1 TF toys.

12. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you'd be the supreme judge of which figures makes the list...:dunce 

13. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

No kidding. Takes the fun out of threads like this.

14. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

i'm not,this is a debate forum,anyone can debate my selection choices as well.

I'm just trying to weed out the characters who don't deserve to be on this list of decently poseable G-1 toys.

simply wanting a G-1 toy to be on the list because he's your favorite isn't enough. it's got to have at least the 4 standard articulated moving joints like walking hips,bending knees,arms that have shoulders that move up/down. elbows that bend.

Rare exceptions are if the G-1 toy has 3 out of the 4 standard moving joints. PLUS A few others like rotate swivel joints in either the legs or arms. feet joints. wrist rotate 360 degree joints. splitting hip joints. EXAMPLE 1985 PERCEPTOR.

15. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I disagree with Soundwave being on the list, as his knees only bend backwards, which hardly qualifies as a "walking" joint. Similarly to Pointblank, that means those joints are of no use to posing. Apart from that, I'm not really familiar enough with G1 to say if there's anybody missing that I would have added.

16. C-109

C-109 Targetmaster

This sounds like your more concerned with out and out articulation - which doesn't necessarily equal poseability. I know I've never been able to get a worthwhile pose with my OP from the waist down - it's either straight down or alt-mode. The only thing you can pose on Prime is his arms and while the elbows may swivel and PB's do not, I still gotta say that a waist swivel and non part-forming wrist rotation beat that out.

Basically, if Prime makes the cut then PB should too as they are both essentially immobile from the waist down as far as poseability goes. Or, you could simply make the argument that Prime doesn't belong on the list either. Really, they're both pretty much neck and neck on what they can and can't do.

17. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I second Hun-Grr.

18. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Fort Max? It's the biggest brick of them all :lol 

Frenzy and Rumble have pretty good articulation.

19. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Perceptor.

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I would say Jetfire's the only real one with articulation. While his waist doesn't rotate, all his limbs do and you can set him in walking pose. His head turns and to some degree look upward. His arms can move pretty well.
    I'd say he's the most articulated G1 toy from that era. He would make for a kick-ass Masterpiece figure.