List of ships of Alex Milne

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Jun 19, 2018.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Gardening, like many hobbies, serves a purpose. Fanfic is an excuse for aspiring writers to avoid the risk of actual writing. I find the waste of life offensive. And people who garden as a hobby aren't messing with the gardening of others to pursue their hobby. If your neighbor was stealing vegetables from someone else's garden to use in his own gardening experiments, I would absolutely have a problem with him. The reason why your gardening neighbor analogy doesn't work is that your neighbor is growing his/her own plants. If someone wants to practice writing by creating their own characters, concepts and stories, that is fantastic. But fanfic is bullshit.

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Get some actual problems man, buncha kids writing stories about cartoons they like is not something worth getting worked up over.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Take your own advice then.

4. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, if someone is coming into a thread and openly saying "I just want to fight with people" - not literally, but reading between the lines of their conduct - their intent isn't actually discussion.

I'd probably just put the dude on block, this circular conversation isn't going to go anywhere. (Just my 2 cents) =)

• Like Like x 1
  5. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it's time for the fans to rise up and collectivize the garden of intellectual property

• Like Like x 2
  6. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Let's stick with just this one:

This implies that 'actual writing' is something inherently useful to the rest of us, no matter the quality. Personally, I wish Dan Brown had decided to become a fanfic writer instead of an original novelist.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

TBH no matter how crazy, a fanfic can't really damage the IP. Whatever one's doing with their free time... It's theirs, really.

He's kinda already doing it in relation to actual historical records. :X

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. hardlurk

News Credits:
    i've never read a dan brown novel but i thought his genre already was bible fanfic

• Like Like x 2
  9. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Eh, the incredibly small amount of actual Bible references versus conspiracy theory Dan Brown uses makes it hard to declare his stuff Bible fanfic, though I could definitely say it’s conspiracy theory fanfic.

On a related note, there are Bible shippers too, and I would definitely say there is a subset of Bible fiction that is specifically how the some think stuff happened, essentially a fanfic.

10. pluto

pluto Banned

And yet here we are...!

Here is some fanfic of my own, southtown is actually a smurf acc of Milne’s and we have all been trolled the deepest troll

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I think it goes even deeper...

12. pluto

pluto Banned

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You're not wrong, really.

People are saying, hey, let people have their own opinion and whatever. But they're being dishonest. If they were really about letting people have their own opinion, they would have let me have mine, not responded to me, and I would have posted nothing after my original post because I wouldn't have had anything to work with. Your reaction is the most sensible. You don't agree with me, are not interested in being dragged into an argument, and moving on.

But I don't just want to fight. For the 1 in a million fanfic writers who have even the slightest writing ability, I want them to use it and not be filled with regret years later when they realize they wasted their lives without actually pursuing writing. They are worth more than the 999,999 fanfic writers with no ability who I just want to disappear.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I can guarantee you there are and always will be, by orders of magnitude, more non-fanfic writers who regret going into writing than fanfic writers who regret *not* going into writing. Writing fanfic is a hobby - people enjoy it, their readers enjoy it, and therefore it does nothing but bring pleasure and satisfaction to people.

To go into 'proper' writing, on the other hand, means pinning your hopes on publishing, aspiring to be paid a living wage and starting out at stage zero when it comes to there being a readership around your work and ideas. It's a path in life that is rife with disappointment, rancour and frustration. All those hours and days spent writing novels that no one will ever read! You can tell from interviews that even relatively successful writers are often bitter and financially insecure.

It's completely bizarre that you insist that you're looking at this on terms of 'wasting' one's life. What is life for except to cultivate pleasure and understanding, which fanfic writers successfully accomplish within their communities while so many 'serious' writers flounder?

Surely you must admit that this is entirely to do with your arbitrary personal resentment towards an innocuous thing, the same way some people hate Brussels sprouts or the town they grew up in?

• Like Like x 3
  15. hardlurk

News Credits:
    Do you have this level of contempt for, like, directors who make sequels to other people's movies or adaptations of other people's novels or episodes of other people's TV shows?

In my view, what makes a sequel or adaptation good is not respect for the source, but succeeding at making the source your own, which might mean making a work that directly contradicts it or that extrapolates something unintended from it.

16. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I kinda wonder if he feels the same way about people who produce fanart :/ not gonna poo poo on fanart or artists(I dabble myself occasionally) but for some reason it's seen as more "legitimate" than fanfiction.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. pluto

pluto Banned

“Everyone is allowed their opinion” is the last resort of the intellectually craven, but the novel twist of “I should be able say whatever i like and it is up to everyone else to deal with it, leaving me free of consequences forever”
    Is a particularly piquant strain of self-entitlement.

You have had a wonderful opportunity to learn from your peers - some of whom are experts in the area of fanfiction histories, some of whom are fanfiction authors, and some of whom are professional writers - and you have squandered it. Instead you have chosen an embittered and embattled position that gains nothing for anyone, and now you have the temerity to tell everyone else to deal with your willful ignorance. This sort of cowardice ought to be stamped out, and it would be mercy to ignore you. So no, i think it would be better for all our collective sake’s to quash your ridiculous ideas wherever i see them.

• Like Like x 4
  18. pluto

pluto Banned

Yeah, opening up art production to areas other than fiction only further troubles these perfectly deranged ideas.

19. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

jeez come on guys i leave for ten seconds and you wreck up the place

• Like Like x 1
  20. sharkrainbow

sharkrainbow whirl is a trans girl

i wish so bad we could use emojis here because this post deserves a gigantic 100 emoji and a few fires and maybe an arrow and a dolphin and a chef fingers
    can everyone please read it a couple more times

[also a side eyes at the dude with the upside down face like god dang how edgy]

• Like Like x 2