List of post offices at risk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joevill, Aug 5, 2009.

1. joevill

joevill Well-Known Member

The U.S. Postal Service has listed 700 offices that may close. I'm lucky that my community has not been effected by the cuts but I'm sure some of you may not be.

Below is the a 12 page PDF file that has all the Stations and Branches "identified" for "full study."
    http://l.yimg.com/a/i/ww/news/2009/08/04/usps_closures.pdf
    :mad 

2. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

The post office squanders money like it's water and treats it's largest clients like shit. Who do they think they are? The IRS?

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The few occasions I do mail anything (or when I need stamps), I go to the UPS Store or the privately-run post office on the university campus. The USPS location closest to my job is atrocious, with rude employees and rarely more than one person working the counter, regardless of the length of the line. On the odd occasion there is more than one person working the counter, that'll last for about 10 minutes before one of them goes on break, regardless of the length of the line (I was there once when the line was 20 people long and one of the workers on the counter announced she was going on break). I was hoping this location would be on the "closing" list, but unfortunately it's not. All the better for the employees, I guess, since I doubt anyone that rude, incompetent and/or lazy could get a job anywhere besides working for the government.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My local PO is always friendly, and I rarely have a huge wait- or at least not a line that's not being handled efficiently. And if more people would take advantage of the self-serve options provided, it'd go even better.
    And the one that's listed in my area is probably the least frequently used, and has other offices close enough to not be a huge inconvenience.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    None of my local posts offices are in danger.

6. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't go to the Post Office as much as I used to. But I used to go to get a International Money Order to mail it up in Canada. Several of the clerks never kept them in their drawer and I would have to go to another clerk to get one.

One female clerk went as far to tell me they don't sell International Money Orders and I knew she was lying through her teeth. I went to complained to the Post Master, but we all know that doesn't do any good. I don't know why they have a union, you can't go on strike against the Government.

But I agree what Scantron said. There will be a long line and one or two clerks will leave to go on their coffee and smoke breaks. But what is happening to the USPS right now, I think it is finally catching up with them.

But in other places, when a troubled or fired employee storms inside his work place with a AK-47, they named that after the USPS.

7. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    none of mine are in trouble either.

next they need to lower there damn prices a 7 pound package should not cost almost $20 to ship to Georgia

8. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I'm glad mine are safe. My local post office workers are really nice. Now that I think of it my old mailperson got laid off recently :/

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    mine is safe although i rarely use it

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    And here I was thinking it was just the UK that had such crap POs :lol 

Our local one shut recently, but then another one opened about the same distance away from our house. Go figure.

11. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

I never go to the post office. I can buy stamps from work and if I have to mail anything large that's what carrier pickup is for :D .

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The ones closing in NY are in areas where it's easy to just go to a different post office 5 mins away. Honestly they aren't needed.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I refer to them as the PISSED OFFices. It it a job requirement to be sullen 'cos that always seems to be the kind of staff they have. There's a small one in my village that I'm sure got its staff from the old peoples home just across the road. If you're going to put a pane of glas between the staff and the customer at least don't hire hard of hearing geriatrics so I have to yell to get them to understand me.
    Also, when I'm mailing a parcel I don't want to hear one of them say to another in one breath to stack it in the toilet with the other parcels and then in another breath remind them not to flush in there because the toilet's blocked and overflows.
    And how is it I mail a standard birthday card to someone and the first class stamp on it isn't enough to cover the cost of mailing the card? And then they charge my friend the extra plus a quid for administration fees to get it. And they do this by mailing them a card to tell them this.

No wonder the postal service here is fucked. Close the lot and replace them with something better. Like a chimp throwing its own shit.

14. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    7 post offices in my area are closing. Then again, my area is overpopulated with post offices,

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looks like two in my area are closing. Although they are listed as Evansville, OHIO. I googled it and that is like a tiny little town clustered in a bunch of other towns. and it is listed in Kentukiana.. So Kentucky and Indiana merged now?

16. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Oh, well, mine is closing. I guess I'll have to go another 3 blocks to get to the next closest one.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Glad mine is not on that list.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thursday, i was riding home with my mother and we saw our mail carrier's vehicle off on the side of the road. part of the rear was still out in the road and so mom pulled over to check it out.
    "need help, you all right?" mom asked.
    "Nah, i am just picking up coke cans."

WTF? She's making $18 per hour and can stop along her route to pick up cans? to make more money? on our clock? I used to like her...

Enterprise has a new Post Office- it's nice and big and pretty, has two separate counters. One is never staffed. the other counter has 4 teller-like spots and you won't believe this, but one is open with like 14 people in line (one person has a kiddie wagon with boxes in it) and another is open with a clerk standing there, doing nothing.
    I went to that one and asked if i could get a money order and a stamped envelope.
    was told he was there for international packages only.

So i asked him how much to ship his shitty 'tude to "Istanbul (Not Constantinople.)"
    yeah, he didn't get that, either.

19. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when I used to go and visit my Grandmother, her carrier would pulled off the side of the road, right next to her house and take a nap. I told my Grandmother if I did that on my job, I will be fired.

My Parents had a female carrier who delivered their mail. Everytime when she dropped off the mail at my parents house, she would get back into her USPS vehicle, fasten the seat belts and fire up a cigarette and then pulled out to leave. She did that everytime. I guess you can still smoke on the job at the USPS.