List of all G1 alternate modes?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Is there one? If not, would anyone be willing to help put one together for future reference? I know there's a sticky, but I think that's for pictures, as opposed to simply listing them.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Let's see.

Forget all those lists floating around the web. Most of them are outdated, incomplete and oftentimes even incorrect.

Autobot Minicars:

The MicroChange versions of Bumblebee, Cliffjumper and "Bumper" were supposed to be toy cars, specifically the super-deformed "Choro-Q" penny racers manufactured by Takara. The Transformers versions tried to pass off their vehicle modes as the actual real-life cars the toy cars were based on. In particular, those were:

Bumblebee: Volkswagen Beetle (that's the official name - "Volkswagon" is a misspelling, and "bug" is an old nickname). The MicroChange version is called "Volksbug". which is probably supposed to be a pun on "Volkswagen" and "bug".
    Clifjumper: Porsche 924 Turbo.
    "Bumper" (aka "Bumblejumper"): Mazda Familia 1500 XG (aka Mazda 323).

The other 1984 "Minicars" were not super-deformed, but not particularly realistic either. In fact, only Windcharger was actually based on an existing car (a Pontiac Trans Am).

Brawn is often incorrectly identified as a "Land Rover Defender". The thing is, the Defender model didn't exist until 1990. Basically, Brawn is a Landrover-ish vehicle with a Jeep grille, but even then, the headlights are in the wrong position for a Jeep. And yet, the MicroChange version is called "Jeep". Gears and Huffer don't bear any resemblance to any particular model as far as I know. The MicroChange versions are simply called "4WD Off-Road" and "American Truck", respectively.

The 1986 remolds (Hubcap, Tailgate, Outback, Swerve and Pipes) are a mixed bag. The mold changes for Outback (Brawn remold), Swerve (Gears remold) and Pipes (Huffer remold) mostly affect the robot modes, and since the vehicles modes aren't directly based on any particular cars to begin with, that doesn't matter much. Hubcap has a smaller spoiler than Cliffjumper, which actually makes him closer (!) to a real-life Porsche 924 Turbo. Tailgate, on the other hand, has different hood details than Windcharger, which diverts from the look of a real Trans Am even more.

Autobot Cars:

Ironhide and Ratchet were both based on a Nissan Onebox Cherry Vanette (aka "Datsun Vanette"). It's not certain whether the Onebox was ever actually used as an ambulance. Would make for a rather small ambulance, though.

Trailbreaker and Hoist were based on a Toyota Hilux (sometimes also spelled "Hi-Lux"). Again, it's not certain whether the Hilux was ever really used as a tow truck.

Skids was based on a Honda City Turbo. The original Diaclone version was based on a Honda City R. There were two Diaclone variants with different head sculpts and minor differences in their vehicle modes (both versions came in several color variations). The Honda City R version of the mold was later used for the e-Hobby exclusive Crosscut, whereas the Honda City Turbo version became Skids.

Bluestreak was based on a Nissan 280ZX Turbo (aka "Datsun 280ZX", aka "Fairlady Z"). The mis-matched color schemes found on the Diaclone versions actually exist in real life.

Prowl is a police cruiser version of the 280ZX. I found evidence for a 240Z being used as a police car in Japan, but nothing about a 280ZX except for a Matchbox model (!).

Smokescreen was based on the 280ZX racing car from the Electramotive team, driven by Don Devendorf. The real car's number "83" was changed into a "38" for the toy.

Inferno and Grapple were basically Mitsubishi Fuso flatbed trucks with special fire truck or crane truck add-ons. Early runs of the Diaclone versions even had Mitsubishi and "FUSO" logos on their truck fronts. I've seen photos of a Fuso being used as a crane truck, but the crane section didn't look exactly like the one used for Grapple. No idea about a Fuso fire truck.

Hound was based on a Mitsubishi J59 Army Jeep (Mitsubishi was producing Jeeps under license from Willys for the Japanese market at one time).

Jazz was based on a Porsche 935 from the Martini racing team. The "Martini" logos on the doors were changed into "Martinii" for the Diaclone and Transformers toys (and into "Agent Meister" for the reissues).

Mirage was based on a Ligier JS11 F1 racer. The red Diaclone variant (available exclusively as part of the the Powered Convoy giftset) was Takara's idea - the real car only existed in blue (although model cars were available in various colors, including red). The "Gitanes" sponsor decals (Gitanes is a French cigarrette brand) was changed into "Citanes" fot the Diaclone and Transformers toys (whereas the Italian "Trasformer" version by GiG had "Ligier" decals).

The Diaclone version of Sideswipe was identified as a Lamborghini Countach LP500S on the packaging. However, Lamborghini experts claim that the toy itself is actually a mix between an LP400, an LP400S and the original Countach prototype (aka the LP5000), but certainly not an LP500S.

Red Alert is a fire chief car variant of whatever Sideswipe is based on. I've never heard of European sports cars being used as fire chief cars, though. The Diaclone version which the Red Alert version of the mold was based on was originally supposed to be a police car (that deco got later released as an e-Hobby exclusive toy named "Clamp Down"). The only police Countachs I've ever seen photos of were from the Netherlands and the USA, in both cases most probably used as promotional vehicles first and foremost.

Similar to Sideswipe, Sunstreaker's Diaclone version is claimed to be a "Super Tuning" version of a Lamborghini Countach LP500S. Again, Takara's designers took a lot of liberties in terms of realism here, especially with the "super tuning" parts. The exposed rear engine is supposedly based on an older Takara toy called the "Cosmo-Countach" (a "super tuned" Countach that can transform into a half-robot, half-car thing). Some people claim that a tuned Countach with an exposed rear engine actually existed, which Takara's designers might have taken as an inspiration for both the Cosmo-Countach and Sunstreaker, but thus far, the only thing I've seen that comes even close is a replica Countach (called the "Lambocar") that was built long after the Sunstreaker toy had already come out. There was also a police variant of Diaclone Sunstreaker. Needless to say, there shouldn't be any basis in real life for that. It should be noted that Sunstreaker, the first toy released in the Diaclone Car Robo line, was the most unrealistic vehicle mode - probably the reason why Takara later released the Sideswipe mold as the "New Countach".

Wheeljack was based on a Lancia Stratos Turbo racing car. The real-life Stratos existed in two decos - with "Alitalia" and with "Marlboro" sponsor decals. Takara released both decos (with different head sculpts) but changed the sponsor decals to "Alitalla" and "Marlboor". The "Alitalla" version was released as the Transformer Wheeljack.

Tracks was based on a Chevrolet Corvette Stingray - the C3 model, to be precise (Alternators Tracks was a C5 Corvette Z06; the current model is the C6). The flame deco on the hood was not part of the standard design.

Optimus Prime was based on a Freightliner Cabover truck. Takara probably took some liberties with the design of the trailer. The car carrier trailer for Ultra Magnus, meanwhile, is purely the product of the Takara designers' imagination.

Decepticons:

Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp were based on a McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle. None of the color schemes was overtly realistic. I believe the wings used for Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge were purely the product of the Takara designers' imagination.

The MicroChange versions of Ravage, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw and Rumble/Frenzy were supposed to be mini-cassettes (hence the "MC60" decals). The Transformers versions tried to pass them off as standard music cassettes. Likewise, Soundwave (called "Cassette Man" in the MicroChange version) was supposed to be a mini-cassette player. I can't tell for sure whether he was based on an existing model. I believe the MicroChange version of Blaster was based on a toy boombox (just like the Minicars were supposed to be toy cars).

Megatron was supposed to be a toy representation ("life-sized kid-sized" rather than "life-sized adult-sized") of a Walther P38. There were several variations of the mold in the MicroChange line. The one with the scope, stock and silencer that ended up as Megatron was based on a modified version used in the TV show "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."

Omnibots:

Overdrive was based on a Ferrari 512 BB (Berlinetta Boxer).
    Camshaft was based on a Mazda Savanna RX-7 (occasionally also spelled "Savannah").
    Downshift was based on a Toyota Celica XX Supra.

Constructicons:

Hook was based on a Unic K-200B.
    Long Haul was based on a Hitachi DH321.
    Mixmaster might be based on a Nissan Diesel truck.

Triple Changers:

Blitzwing's jet mode was based on a Mikojan-Gurewitsch MiG-25 (aka "Foxbat"). The tank is usually identified as a Mitsubishi Type 74 MBT (main battle tank), but I can't vouch for that.
    Astrotrain was based on a Rockwell Space Shuttle orbiter and a D51 steam locomotive.
    Octane's jet mode was loosely based on a Boeing 757 or 767. No idea about the tanker truck mode.

Stunticons:

Dead End was based on a Porsche 928S.
    Breakdown was based on a Lamborghini Countach just like Sideswipe, although the creamy white most probably didn't exist as a production color.
    Wildrider was based on a Ferrari 308 GTB Quattrovalvole.
    Drap Strip was based on a Tyrrell P34 Six-Wheeler, with the yellow color again being Hasbro's idea (the real car was blue).
    Motormaster was based on a Kenworth K100 Aerodyne truck.

Combaticons:

Brawl was based on a Leopard 1 MBT (main battle tank).
    Blast Off was based on a Rockwell Space Shuttle orbiter, with a lot of liberties taken on the Takara designers' behalf.
    Swindle was based on an FMC XR311.
    Vortex was based on a Kaman Aerospace SH-2G Super Seasprite helicopter.

It should be noted that both the cartoon and the Marvel comics depicted all the Combaticons' alternate modes as totally different vehicles than what the toys were supposed to represent. Swindle was even drawn as a Jeep!

Protectobots:

Streetwise was based on a Nissan 300ZX Turbo. Again, I'm not sure if the 300ZX was actually used as a police car (I could only find pics of model cars).
    Groove was based on a Honda Goldwing GL1200I (Interstate) motorcycle. Apparently the Goldwing was actually used as a police motorcycle.
    Blades was based on a UH-1V Iroquois (Huey) helicopter, which is the US Army's medical evacuation conversion of the UH-1H.
    First Aid might be roughly based on a Toyota Van, which I don't think was actually used as an ambulance in real life.

Aerialbots:

Air Raid was based on a McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle, just like Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp.
    Skydive was based on an General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon (aka "Viper").
    Fireflight was based on a McDonnell F-4 Phantom II (later McDonnell Douglas).
    Slingshot was based on a McDonnell Douglas AV-8B Harrier II. Ignore those blocky things on the rear end of the wing tips. Those are supposed to be the wheels (!) and should be more to the center of the wings.
    Silverbolt was based on an Aerospatiale/BAC Concorde SST (Supersonic Transport).

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Another excellent and well-researched post Nevermore :D  I don't know how you manage to find all this information!

4. Nevermore

News Credits:
    A lot of credit goes to Liquid Velcro for identifying most of the alt modes. I did my own research, though, and double-checked every single one of them.

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so where's the page that has all of the pics that were found? I can't find them in the stickied thread. maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, or missed the link. could you please list it, nevermore?

*edit* I didn't realize that the toy pics were links, and took you to the pics of the real cars. sorry.

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

You missed a few; what about Cosmos? Omega Supreme? Shockwave? Surely these have real world counterparts :dunce 

7. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

You won't believe how much a vintage green and yellow ufo goes for these days.

And thanks Nevermore. Any idea about Warpath and the Combaticons?

8. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    what about Hot Spot and Onslaught?

9. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm...maybe Nevermore is still working on the list. Sure got a great start, though. Thanks for the info!

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone has ever been able to identify Hot Spot or Onslaught.

And regarding the other three Constructicons, it seems that information on construction vehicles that aren't trucks is very hard to come by.

11. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

Warpath looks like an M551 Sheridan. And don't forget Powerglide: Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II (aka Warthog).

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Ummm...Twin Twist/Topspin? :D