Customs: Liquid Masking vs tape

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Apr 23, 2012.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Hey folks,

Has anyone every tried or worked with liquid masking instead of masking or painters tape? Something like Hobbico MasterMask or Bob Dively's Liquid Masking that people use in RC cars? I'm not that great of a brush painter and airbrushing gives me better results but I hate the 19 hours of masking I need to do. =)

I was hoping for an easier solution. Something like a paintable rubber or whiteout kind of film that you could just brush over the areas and then peel off later. Even something else that's not an 'official' liquid masking but would accomplish the same thing. I'm trying to find something that would help mask of tiny areas where it's near impossible to get tape on/around easily and just make the overall process a little quicker.

Thanks!

EDIT - I read about people using liquid latex, 'MicroMask', even silly putty, but I'm looking for any other suggestions or something reasonably cheap and easily available. Not to mention that I use acrylics currently, so it can't be water-soluble. A lot of things, like MicroMask and Bob Dively's are water-soluble.

2. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    I've considered trying the liquid skin type band-aid products you see at the drug store for this type of thing. Not sure how well it would work out, but it's worth a shot.

3. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

it works aiiiiiiiiiight........some take no more than 30 min to dry......peels off easy....

4. Fragmare

Fragmare Desert Dog

Ebay:
    Does it allow much bleeding of the paint? That's the only real concern I had using it.

5. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

ive used Parma liquid mask...found it at Hobby town USA.......applied it over acrylic and lacquer paints..with no problems..........great for those small places u cant seem to get tape around...