Lio Convoy - Beast Wars II - Review

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Resources Database Submissions' started by knook, Dec 24, 2008.

1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Overview:
    Lio Convoy was released exclusively in Japan (1998) and because of this he was never as recognised as Optimus Primal or even Big Convoy (Who was also a Japanese-only figure)

Robot Mode:
    Lio Convoy has one of the best Robot modes in the whole Beast Wars series. The Lion's head is attached to his right shoulder giving a very powerful look to him, it looks like a War Commanders Shoulder pads, His left side has the tail on it, it makes Lio Convoy look unbalanced but in some ways it works quite well on conveying the power of Lio Convoy, The right shoulder has a gimmick where you push down a red button in the Lion's head and the very front of the Lion's head turns around to create a "cyclone" like effect. Lio Convoy has two pieces of mane on his arms that can fold out to become missile launchers, His legs stay looking pretty Beast-like with paws for feet. Lio Convoy's head is beautifuly sculpted and looks very much like a Convoy but also very unique in the sense that you can tell it apart from other Convoys. Lio Convoy also has a flap on his chest that when folded out shows what I can guess is his spark (this feature is also on some Beast Wars figures)

Beast Mode:
    Lio Convoy's beast mode is amazing, he carries on the Beast Wars tradition of having a highly accurate Beast Mode and is very sleek, there isn't much to say about Lio Convoy's Beast mode apart from that it's a white Lion with a golden mane. One thing that really sticks out on the Beast mode is the eyes, they look very accurate to the Anime and that really stuck out when I first got the figure some parts of the Robot mode can be seen if you look under the flaps but they aren't too noticeable

Review by knook

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice reveiw knook. I just traded a figure for lio and a galvatron so I'm lookin forward to playin around with lio.

3. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks man, he's one of the best Beast Wars figures :) 

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Cool :) 

The object under the flap in his chest is meant to be his Matrix, I think. The one time I've seen it in the animation was when he teamed up with Optimus Primal to do a double team attack called something like "Twin Matrix Buster".

I always personally felt that Lio's beast mode was let down a little by the lack of the movement in the front paws, though the BW2 Ultra is much better than the Robot Masters version in this regard. Robot Masters had some weird front paws.

5. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the blocky front paws never really annoyed me