Link between autism and vaccines rejected

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Court says thimerosal did not cause autism - Yahoo! News

This court ruling comes on the heels of the retraction of the study generally cited as proof of the connection. The Lancet (England's NEJM-equivalent, or maybe I should say the NEJM is America's Lancet :)  ) published a retraction--not a correction or follow up, but a complete retraction--after some serious questions involving the validity of both the study and the lead researcher's integrity surfaced.

As a provider, it's frustrating when people make poor decisions in regards to their health. But when they make poor decisions about their children's health, especially when they do so based in part because of a freakin' Hollywood celebrity like Jenny McCarthy, it's doubly so.

I understand being concerned about your child's health, but the stubborn refusal to see the reality in this situation is admittedly maddening to me.

Does anyone here worry about vaccines, about autism or anything else?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I never believed in that crap, but Im glad that they at least retracted that. Of course, Id still be interested in knowing what causes Autism, as would alot of people. And yeah, general rule of thumb by the way: If a celebrity claims to be informed on a subject, it usually means they are NOT.

3. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Poor decisions? What makes it poor? Your view on it?
    It reminds me of one of those criminal investigation shows where the state tried to put someone in jail for not vaccinating their child because the child caught something and spread to another child who ended up dying.

Chuck

4. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Jenny McCarthy and many other people's view on vaccines is based on a study showing a link between vaccines and autism.

Many, many, many other studies have shown no link and disputed the other study.

That study has now been retracted by the source that published it.

Thus there is no longer any basis for the viewpoint.

Isn't holding onto a viewpoint where all the evidence for it has been rejected 'poor'?

We're not talking about whether someone thinks some moral issue is right or wrong, we're talking about a viewpoint that was totally based on scientific evidence, and that evidence has now been discredited. Why continue to hold the viewpoint?

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've been skeptical over vaccines being the cause of Autism, so it's nice to know that they've rejected that so-called claim.

I hope someday that they will find the exact cause of Autism and other related syndromes, such as Asperger's.

6. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    A friend of mine keeps going on about pig urine in vaccines, and won't get any shots because of it. But she's a kook in many respects. Luckily she's childless.

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Sorry bryan but not you or me know the real facts. Simply put, when money is involved "facts" get easily obscured. Pay attention to the close relationships between politicians and big corporations and it becomes undenialble, Money can sway court rulings and the passing of legislation. Human nature is almost impossible to defeat. Bottom line, My kids will not get injected with the garbage they put in to those vaccines autism or not. NO DISRESPECT TO ANYONE ON THIS THREAD, ITS MY OPINION ONLY.

8. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Could you spell that out a little bit slower, almost seems like I don't understand.
    My point was that he was angry about it before the retraction. What if the other studies would of been retracted instead?
    Those medical studies will bend the "scientific facts" to serve their own end.

Chuck

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    THis was debunked many years ago by the very people who postulated it.

Let me know if your kids get polio or smallpox.

10. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Bleh.. I still partly blame vaccines for my minor autism.
    Personal oppinion I quess.
    *shrugs*

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Angry before the full retraction sure, but a full retraction isn't the first thing that happens. The study had been questioned, disputed, debunked loooong before this.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread is going to go downhill fast, but yeah, I'm DELIGHTED to see an official debunking, both in the form of the retraction and now this court ruling.
    Knowing how litigious our society is, that doesn't seem all that unreasonable. A kid died due to someone else's negligence; people get sued for that all the time.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    sounds like a commercial for the H1N1 vaccine. They have office people around the water cooler. One says it is made from platypus milk, another says it was brought through a portal that only opens once ever 1000 years, another says it makes you susceptible to hypnotic suggestion.. One says it was made from secret alien technology... from the moon.

anyway, I never believed the stuff about autism - Vaccines connection. Could be a genetic defect. That would be my guess. Some sort of evolutionary defect. Think about it. If this occurred in olden times these kids would likely die early and be weeded out of society thus not pass on the defect. But now we have much better health care and such they survive.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would at least like dislosure that someone is letting unvaccinated kids into my school. It's a health risk that all parents incur and it should be disclosed to the general population.

15. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

But if your kids are vaccinated, why's it matter?

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We spread out the vaccines a little more than traditionally advised, but my kids are up to date. Some part of that decision was based on the lingering autism rumor, but more to do with a) not giving kids too many shots at one time and b) letting their bodies become adjusted to each vaccine over a greater amount of time. Still, glad to know that the autism thing has been retracted. Where the word really needs to get out to are the home birth and home-schooling types. Nothing against those groups, but many of the people I know who are involved with them are more willing to accept things like the autism rumor than the general populace.

Now, if science said that they'd proven a link between amount of time spent online unsupervised and assburgers, that I'd believe. :) 

17. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    On the topic of studies that "link" things, most are correlational studies; its been stated many times that a correlational study doesnt mean that one causes the other, yet people like to take a correlational study and do exactly just that.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

What makes it a poor decision isn't my view at all. It's a combination of two things: One, the reality that even if vaccines caused autism, there's a far greater risk to your child's health from the many, many diseases vaccinating prevents. Two, that even before the study was retracted, there were numerous studies that failed to show any connection.

I'm not familiar with the case you mention, so I can't comment on it. I don't know that I'd support criminal charges--but I would certainly have a moral issue if someone chose not to vaccinate a child and that choice resulted in the death of that child or another.

Sure, it bothered me before, because a single, sensational study dictated medical decisions despite evidence, both before and after, to the contrary.

If the other studies had been retracted, I would be wrong and I would adjust my care accordingly. But they weren't retracted--and the fact that it was one study versus many certainly favored my position even before the retraction.

If medical studies bend scientific facts--as the retracted study seems to have done--then I expect opponents to demonstrate that slant, not just say "oh, studies do that." In the past, I didn't just say that about the now-retracted study--I cited actual evidence to the contrary.

Ok. That's a legitimate concern--the great philosophers of the Wu-Tang Clan did teach us that "cash rules everything around me."

But your arguments don't hold much weight. What close relationships, specifically, do you refer to? What legislation are you concerned about? Whose money swayed this ruling? What specific aspects of human nature do you refer to?

And most importantly, what garbage are you worried about? And what is your reasoning to be more concerned about that "garbage" as opposed to the various, very real, diseases out there?

Well, I think you're misusing the word "opinion." What basis do you have to blame vaccines?

I'm trying, y'know? If it does, it does, but maybe let's pass on the self-fulfilling prophecies and see what happens.

19. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Because vaccines don't confer absolute immunity, and herd protection is an important factor in protecting against disease.

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Hey I like that song!