Limited Release Shockblast to Shockwave Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bradforj, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Final Update: 6/11/11. I have left the old original post intact. Production was finished at 14 kits total. I hope everyone that bought a kit is still enjoying it! I still have some random parts around here if anyone is in need of specific pieces for customs.

A kit containing all the parts needed to convert Energon Shockblast to Classics Shockwave will be released soon by yours truly! This will be limited to 10-20 pieces and is being produced with the assistance of a VERY well regarded member of the repro-parts community.

The kit consists of quite a few pieces and will sell for $109 with free shipping worldwide (casting costs are very prohibitive, but I want this to be a very limited edition, as well). It will come with full instructions on how to convert your Shockblast with NO PAINTING REQUIRED. Your Shockwave will look much like the one done by Jin Saotome, as I have made use of Classics Jetfire arms in the production of this kit. To see his design, go here. This kit will have the same build design as the first three pictures on that page, but with the colors listed below. The alt-modes are a satellite, ground-to-air defense unit, and a tank.

You will receive the following parts produced in the listed colors:

Purple parts: top and bottom chest halves, Jetfire lower arms, Jetfire missiles

Gray/Silver: upper leg parts (front and back), feet, Jetfire right fist, front and back chest panels, laser cannon tip, Jetfire missiles

Black: Jetfire upper arms (modified to fit Shockblast shoulders), laser cannon

Also, a set of Universe Treadbolt missile launchers will be included.

No pictures are available as yet, due to parts still being in the production stage. I can say that this will be much better than a painted custom, and those usually go for $200 or more. This will be a highly durable toy molded in the correct colors once you swap out the parts from this kit! I guarantee production will be capped at 20 numbered sets (that number could drop to ten), with only 19 ever being available to the public (keeping one for myself). If you want to get on-board for one of these, shoot me a PM for payment details. This is a TFW2005 exclusive, and it will not be advertised on any other board. Please see my thread over at hisstank to read about the last exclusive garage kit that I offered. People were thrilled with it!

Update 9/30/09: ASSEMBLED KIT ready to be shown to the world! Pics are below. Pre-orders will begin shipping Saturday. I will be redesigning the laser that goes where the left hand would be and shipping it out as soon as possible. The initial shipment will come with the first laser and all who buy will get the redesigned laser free.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pimping out your own kitbashes don't count as news. Also do you have any pics of your own work or design?

3. bradforj

News Credits:
    Didn't mean to post in news. I meant to put this in toy discussion.

No pics as yet. The parts were fitted onto Shockblast, then removed and sent off for molding and casting. It will very much resemble what Jin's looks like, but with some alternate colors as mentioned.

Mods please move to toy discussion. I had accidentally started to post this in news, then copied/pasted all of my typing into another window to post in toy discussion, then like a moron clicked submit on the window that was open in news! Sorry :) 

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Neat idea, can't wait to see the results!

5. bradforj

News Credits:
    Got several pre-orders now. It should be mentioned that pre-orders will obviously get a guaranteed order fill, whereas "expressing interest" via PM does not guarantee you a chance to purchase once these are completed.

6. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

well hot damn! this is good news to me. :) 

7. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Cool but, I don't have Energon Shockblast...

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Looking forward to pics. :) 

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    don't have shockblast and the price is too steep for my blood, and honestly just once id like to see a run down of the costs of making one of these various add on kits to really see if prices charged are justified

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

For $109 I will wait to see if pictures of this kit justify the price.

11. bradforj

News Credits:
    Understandable, but keep in mind that the initial run is limited to 10 pieces, with the option to run up to 10 more if needed (there will never be more than 20). At the rate these are going, sight unseen may be your only option! I wish I could provide pics, but the parts are not done yet. Suffice it to say that my first post does a really good job of explaining what the finished product will look like. The parts are being done by one of the most highly respected repro-parts makers out there, and they will be up to quality with an original part! This is going to look reeeeaaaaally good, so I hope you don't miss it.

12. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These figures are very much a visible piece. People can be told that something will look great and be Classic and look close to a character that was already made but what is "great" and "close to" for one person might not be for another. The fact that you are charging $109 for an add-on which will pretty much take a mint figure worth about $70 on the secondary market and devalue that figure is a bit much to expect people to come running for preorders.

Even with pictures and images it's doubtful that most people would jump on an item priced that high. You charge what you need to and I'm not saying it's unjustified, but I agree with those unwilling to put over $100 towards a customizing set at someone else's word of quality.

Though with so few pieces made it doesn't seem like you'll have a problem filling orders. I'll pass, but wish you good luck.

13. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ This. I think it's odd that you don't have pictures up for an item this high a price.

Very odd.

14. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kindly please post pictures of this conversion kit when available.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    You may have described it as best you could, but I highly doubt someone would pay so much money for something they haven't seen.

16. bradforj

News Credits:

I think it's odd that people feel the need to be negative on these boards 24/7. The pre-orders have gone quite well, thank you very much. I suppose I will just stop replying in this thread for now, because some people feel the need to come in and trash the place up with negative posts. I understand that some people want to see the product, all I said was that by waiting, SEEING is all they will ever get to do (because they will never have a chance at OWNING).

To those questioning pricing, obviously you have never paid to have molds made for parts. It is not cheap, and only becomes profitable when large quantities are made. By making this extremely limited, I do have to inflate the costs some. I keep the numbers on my projects low, so as not to piss off Hasbro in any way.

To those replying "it is odd, very odd." Why don't you take time to look at the thread on hisstank where I offered custom black Devilfish parts? I did it the exact same way: no product to be seen until the parts were done. Not a single unhappy customer when it was all finished.

And to those saying my parts will "devalue" a figure. Are you nuts?! That's the same as saying the custom made and painted figures that sell for thousands of dollars are really just devalued toys. Maybe they are devalued in your eyes, but they are not devalued in the eyes of their owners. My kit will allow a fan to put together a Shockwave that would otherwise cost around $300 to have commissioned, and without the risk of scratching paint off during transformation!

If any are left after pre-orders are filled, I will post pics and offer the remaining pieces (just like I did on Hisstank). However, I will NOT sell to anyone that insists on trying to bring this project down with their negativity. That would be like celebrating a Super Bowl win with someone that trash-talked the team all year :) 

17. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

:useless 

And shouldn't this go in the Radicon's section?

After all it IS a custom...

18. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Wait, so being skeptical is trash talking and being negative?

19. bradforj

News Credits:
    Do the threads about SGCollect offerings get stuck in Radicons? No

Do threads about iGear, FansProject, and the rest go in Radicons? No

Why should my offering get stuck there?

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, I have had quite a few molds made for parts.

I have been satisfied with them all.

And I got to see what I was buying before I did so.

Were there pics of City Commander? Yes.

Were there pics of Gear Of War? Yes.

Were there pics of Powered Commander? Yes.

Also, I must point out, your reply to me (Which, again is odd, considering everyone else has been saying the same thing.) seemed to contain quite the attitude, when I was only being skeptical, like Opticron Primal said.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009