Likes and Dislikes of leaked "fake" script

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jamjam101, Dec 14, 2009.

1. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this isn't a post to debate whether the script is real or not. Lets just say that the movie adaptation does happen similar to the leaked script. what parts of it you liked or disliked and why?

-intro of Prime VO and how so many TF's are in disguise among society
    -how it makes a lot of references to the first movie
    -taking a different direction from both films
    -the deceiving character of Starscream
    ----how it leaves on a cliffhanger to lead to 4th. which makes me thinkthat it will be split into two parts. pt1 in 2011, Mike does Pain & Gain, then in 2014, for the 30th anniversary he concludes the epic story.
    - no Simmons

dislikes:
    -waayyy to little human interaction. not enough human characters
    -if so many classic G1 guys are back, where is Barricade & Sideswipe?
    - the back in time is a neat idea but needs to be refined
    - script doesn't seem to impose any sort of major threat on Earth or human life. its too strictly focused on the survival of Autobots.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

It reads like a wet dream.

3. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

It reads like someone showed a 100-level college creative writing class G1, The Movie, TFTM, and ROTF, and said "Tie these together, and include as many references to G1 and The Movie as possible."

Good:
    - Fanwank still feels good, even though you know it's not real.
    Bad:
    - If I were grading it, I'd give it a C+.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Overall, it's just too much Fanwank. This "leaked" script reads like a Geewunner's fantasy.

The good with this script though, is the potential to have SOME G1 references. I'd definitely consider keeping some of those famous lines such as "All we need is a little energon..." that would be cool.

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I'm going to steal some. :D 

-intro of Prime VO and how so many TF's are in disguise among society
    -how it makes a lot of references to the first movie
    -taking a different direction from both films
    -the deceiving character of Starscream
    -using the shard to create energon
    -a new Cybertron is made using the Allspark
    -Superion
    -G1 lines
    -Sam's grandfather's nickname is "Sparkplug"
    -Taking care of the events that happened in the first 2 movies (harvester and allspark)

Dislikes:
    -too little human interaction. not enough human characters
    -if so many classic G1 guys are back, where is Barricade & Sideswipe?
    -the back in time is a neat idea but needs to be refined
    -script doesn't seem to impose any sort of major threat on Earth or human life. its too strictly focused on the survival of Autobots.
    -Autobots getting G1 alt modes
    -Megatron reformatting
    -SS reformatting
    -Sam becoming "Spike" - I cringed at that

I'll think of more and update when I do.

Basicly: keep the storyline just leave out the G1 fanwanks, like their G1 altmodes. If the time travel can be refined I would enjoy it. (I liked the idea of coming back and having a new Cybertron in which the Decepticons are in controll of, and Magnus on Autobot City - I like the Human-Autobot alliance) I think if the G1 feel was left out (except for characters) it would be better. G1 is not the answer to everything!!! I enjoyed G1 a lot, but SERIOUSLY, IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON!!! THERE IS MORE THAN G1 REMAKES!!!

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I liked that it turned out to be not real.

7. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    As I said on the other thread, it's a passable piece of fanfiction, but makes for a terrible movie. Instead of focusing on telling a good story set in the movieverse, it seemed way more interested in cramming in as much G1 fan service and references as possible.

Also, it felt like the inverse of Star Trek 2009 (and I mean that in the worst way possible). Instead of starting off in the Original Series (G1) and using time travel as a means to create its own universe. It started off in it's own universe (the Movieverse) and used time travel as a means to tie itself into the Original Series (G1), which essentially makes the movieverse utterly pointless.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I give it an F.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    There were several character-specific moments that I liked. I liked how when Starscream made a snide comment about Soundwave, Soundwave immediately made a move towards him before being stopped by Megatron. Also liked how, during the big group fight, Soundwave just stands there motionless and stoic, waiting for someone to think they'll get the drop on him.

Pretty much we just need more Soundwave action, regardless of plot.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The script was pretty weird, it would be better for an entriely new franchise of movies, with a new director at the helm. I like it a bit, but it's not overly perfect. I like the new characters, the idea of new combiners, the AHM feel to the script, and Starscream's character development. I don't like the reformatting of Starscream, the time travel should be refined, as well as the dialogue.

11. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I only liked some aspects of it. Like how there are a shitload of robots in disguise on earth. I thought the part with sam working in the hadron colider to be abit far fetched for his character. Even if his knowledge of the allspark got him the job. I did however like starscream's pwning of people. Specially when he gored megatron with the metal. Lol Megs has been alive 1 too many sequels at this point. I did however spit in disgust at Starscream reformatting. After that I couldn't read it knowing screamer isn't an F22 raptor.

12. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I actually liked the beginning, including how Sam becomes "Spike".

Unfortunately, it kinda lost me when it turned into Star Trek: First Contact meets More Than Meets The Eye. As much as I like time travel related stories, I think this overdid it, since it basically rebooted the movieverse as G1. I was reading it thinking "hmm... guess where they're gonna crash...".

The only thing I really liked about the script after they travelled back to the 80's were the repeated Knight Rider references, and they don't exactly make up a story.

13. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

This a million times over.

14. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I'll second that million.

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

I havent had a chance to read but from what everybody else says I rather not...

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Third.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I didn't even read it and I agree with this.

18. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

I actually enjoyed most of it up until the time-travel part, specifically when they discovered where/when they were and started reformatting into their 80's alt. modes. Until that point it was decent.

I didn't mind the time-travel itself. In fact, I found their realizations upon finding out they were in the past quite refreshing compared to most time travel stories which ignore or underplay the implications. Going back and erasing (as much as possible) the Transformer's impact on Earth is as good a way as any to settle the "Humans fear/hate the alien death-bots and want them gone" plot thread. (Considering that this may be the last movie.)

Them taking on their G1 alt. modes felt pointless though. Especially on the Decepticon end. Why would the Decepticons take steps backwards in their scans? (Starscream going from a modern fighter jet to a 20+ year old model for example. For another, the Megatron shifting made sense* until he scanned a gray tank.) They don't care about disguise... It's only function seems to be getting them as close as possible to their G1 designs.

* = If the time-travel element were used, then having two Megatrons would indeed become an issue. Having Starscream kill one and using the other would solve that. (I thought the "I still function" scene was actually kinda neat, both as a moment of treacherous badassery for Starscream and a callback to TFTM.) Personally, I found the entire space battle/crash scene a nice callback to both G1 and Beast Wars. (You can't tell me no one else had flashbacks to BW during that part.)

Starscream getting to the 80's Allspark first was neat and totally made sense. His plan once he had it was ridiculous. Terraforming Mars as the "New Cybertron"? Why? Again it seems only to function as a way to make the movie-verse more G1 by leading into that horrible cliffhanger.

Speaking of which, that part is the worst point in the whole story. It's absurd, comes out of nowhere, and undermines the entire point of erasing the Transformers activity on Earth. It's completely and totally a poorly disguised attempt to somewhat work TFTM into the live action movie-verse continuity.

The "Sam's Grandfather has (the key to) Vector Sigma in his basement" plot point was also absolutely unneeded. Not only does it introduce yet another Cybertronian Artifact/Mcguffin lost-on-Earth, it doesn't DO ANYTHING to further the story as a whole. It literally leads nowhere. Introducing Vector Sigma into the movie-verse is fine, but do it in a way that MAKES SENSE and have it actually MEAN SOMETHING.

Another thing that bothered me was the reuse of dead characters (Ravage, Frenzy, apparently another Brawl), and the absence of previously established ones (Jolt, Sideswipe, and yes... the Twins) with no explanation.

Overall, I'd say that it (with a LOT of tweeking) wouldn't make that bad of a movie... but the extreme levels of GEEWUNISM and pointlessness need to be cut out for that to happen.

19. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    TranstechCat, you pretty much summed up everything I liked/disliked about this screenplay and the strengths/weaknesses of the storytelling. To add my two cents, I think the writer has potential. It's far from the worst fan fiction I've ever read (but by the same token it's far from the best) and might make for a good film if he/she/they were more concerned with telling an actual story rather than just shoehorning as much G1 as possible into the movie universe.

20. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When i read the part about Satrscream slamming the cube on mars' ground and how the ground "rumbled", i was like "whaoo" because i figured that he may have woken unicron which was either all of mars or inside of it...new cybertron didnt even occur to me