Likelyhood of ROTF molds in this years Botcon Set?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by VictoryLeo19, Dec 13, 2009.

1. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Just wondering what you guys think might be included as useable for this years Botcon set. I apologize if there is already a thread about this but I couldn't seem to find one down the pages. Personally, I would like for them to continue using Cybertron/Universe molds but I won't really complain either way :)  I'm really looking forward to this years set already, what do you guys think?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Never. That's true across the board for ANY molds done in the movie style (like ROTF Long Haul, for instance). Paramount partialy owns the rights to any movie-style toy that is developed and sold at retail, and thus FP can't use those molds.

Now, if it's a movie line repaint of a toy from a non-movie line (I.E. Movie 1 Mudflap, who is really just Cybertron Mudflap), then it's fair game.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, what he said. Paramount owns those likenesses. FunPub only uses molds Hasbro has no plans of using anymore.

We'll likely see more Energon and Cybertron molds used, possibly some Classicsverse molds. I wouldn't expect much else.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    One part of me hopes someday they will release Animated characters. I'd love to see what characters they will create out of those.

Another part of me hopes this will never happen, because I will not be able to get them and I'd have to shelf out a gazillion smackaroonis over eBay!

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'd imagine we'll get Universe molds. As mentioned, the Movie designs are produced in collaboration with Paramount and Dreamworks - FP simply cannot touch them.

6. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

It was also recently stated that they would revisit a "generation" that hasn't been done in some time, ROTF was this past year.

7. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love the rest of the Animated Seekers personally, if Hasbro/Takara had no plans of slipping in a few new Animated releases beyond what's already been announced.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Likelihood: 0

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    As mentioned, it's zero. Beyond that, even if they were fair game, it's still zero, as FP can't use any current molds. Animated is probably still off the table moldwise, let alone the newer ROTF. At this point Movie 1 toys would be possible, but due to the Paramount agreement, none of the movie originals will ever be used as a Botcon figure.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That would be 07 all over again!!!

But I'd buy it :wink: 

11. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just supposition on my part, but even if the movie toys were available for use, I'm guessing FP would like to steer clear. Fan perspectives on both Movie and Animated toys tend to get pretty polar... uber-love or uber-hate. Would that potentially affect sales? I have no way of knowing, but it's at least a consideration.

I'd imagine FP knows they'd be most successful striking somewhere in the middle... which would be Classics/Universe molds.

I wonder if off-screen movie toys (the scouts, for example) are available?

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Ams you got a good point, and i agree with it as with the prices they are/have to charge they are going to want to stick with "safe"molds that aren't likely to cause dislike in a substantial amount of those that normally buy all the bot con figs, of course you can't please everyone but you have to try to please as many as you can

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'd actually like to see a lot of the Cybertron Scouts done in G1 colors. Hardtop to Beachcomber, Short Round to Seaspray, etc.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's been so painfully obvious, it aches! :lol 

Perhaps the fact that the mold was just recently in use (for the formerly-Target-now-WM-exclusive scouts) makes such a possibility even more... possible.

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    In fact, Hasbro can't even touch them outside of the movie lines themselves.

Randy

17. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So how come the Japanese got stuff like Wonderfest Arcee and Chara Soundwave? If Dreamworks is okay with pimping out stuff to Japan, why not the US?

Let's not forget, of course, that even the non-movie toys are largely based upon character designs made for (but unused in) the movie. Toys like Depthcharge, Breakaway and Springer are still part-owned by Dreamworks.

Saying that, however, there might be a case for some of the new-mould movie figures getting a repaint in the future - as far as I know, Dreamworks holds no sway over the Real Gear toys.