Like soldiers at attention or like lasagna?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kajobaldisimo, Sep 26, 2009.

1. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello!

Im doing a bit of cleaning coz my workspace at home is now littered with TFs. I bought those plastic storage boxes. I just want to know from anyone:

How do you store them? In robot mode, all standing, like soldiers at attention or in alt mode, layered on top of each other like lasagna? (sorry if my analogy is dumb, i haven't slept yet) Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2009
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If I'm storing loose figures like this, USING BUBBLE WRAP I'll transform it in such a way that the bot remains as flat and compact as possible. That may involve some mistransformation and such. The last time I moved my Alts/BTs, I actually packed them like lasagna in bot mode and bubble wrap, with layers of bubble wrap between layers of bots.

Did I mention I use a lot of bubble wrap?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I usually pack them in whatever the most compact form is, usually the vehicle mode. I'll have to start using bubble wrap for the more fragile ones, that's a good tip SQ7!

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i have all my transformers posed for now, but eventually i am going to have to start using rubber made containers or something lol and that bubble wrap seems like a good idea.

thanks Superquad7 :) 

5. batcam11

batcam11 SHINIGAMI CHOP!!!

i am posing them all like Thor espiacly Animate Ultra Magnus

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You're more than welcome guys :)  I saw a huge sheet of bubble wrap in the trash here at work. Guess what? It's in my truck now :) 

My wife laughs at me when we get a package of any sort in the mail that has a sheet of bubble wrap in it. "Guess what, sweetie? Mom and Dad sent you some bubble wrap!"

Also, as far as containers are concerned, don't get the cheap, clear ones. I've had more of those break on me than I can count. The lids aren't great either. Walmart typically has the 32 gal. containers for $12-$15 each. It's a good deal if you're planning on storing your collection to any capacity.

7. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thank you guys for the suggestions! as of now, i think i can see the advantage of both. the 'soldiers' method won't crunch the tfs even without bubble wraps. the 'lasagna' method is faster to store coz you don't have to put the figs on their feet and balance them, not to mention 'tetris'-configure their limbs and kibbles to fit with each other without clashing too much.

i think i'll try both. deluxes and other small figs in bot mode, leaders and other big figs in alt mode.

by the way, do bubble wraps mess up the paint after long periods of contact with the toy? i think styrofoam 'nuggets' do.

hey sol, thanks for the edit.

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea that's why i figured rubber made would be the best. i'm running out of space for transformers AND eventually i wanna start collecting gi joes too lol so yea that will take up a lot so space :lol 

i keep all my parts and accessories in plastic zip lock bags, but is there a better way to store them? and on the same note, i keep all the paper work like that too. instructions sticker sheets, and what not.

9. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Just don't store them like this... :lol 

10. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Are you going to move them to a Storage place or just packing them and leaving them in your closet?

I save all kinds of boxes that I receive my figures in from eBay or the Junkion here so I can store my TFs in there. I then transform all the TFs that I wanna store into as flat a form as possible and store each in their own zip lock bag (if there's space, I wrap the zip lock bag around a few times) layering them like lasagna. Put them in the boxes by mold type and series, tape the boxes up and stack them in my closet. Is this a good method? I mean if I don't move the boxes at all in my closet, there would be no damage right?

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    All that aren't on a shelf are thrown randomly into a plastic bin. So, I don't do either.

12. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

I actually store mine in Alt. mode. Robot mode may make them more flat, but it also presents arms, legs, kibble etc. that I just don't feel okay with. I too use the bubble wrap method, but I store them in cardboard boxes as they live in the cupboard.

13. akum6n

akum6n Bootleg

Lasagna method might concern me as a long-term storage practice. The pieces on the bottom could suffer from plastic warping and strain on the joints unless you are very careful in placement. It depends on how many layers, how much bubble wrap is used, etc., as well.

14. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I store mine in the big plastic tubs like SQ7 suggested. As for how they are stores inside, I put each TF in a ziplock bag, so I can keep all the parts together, then I wrap them in bubble wrap.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    If you simply want to throw your money away, buy something like this:

[​IMG]

Clever Store | Clear Storage Bins | Rubbermaid

Those clear, plastic containers last no time. My mom is a storage queen, and she bought many of these years ago. I've moved my TFs (and many other things) in them, and I've had the tops (especially near the handles) crack and bust out on me more often than not. The lids tend to warp very easily as the plastic tends to be thin. You may pay $7 versus $15, but I've literally went through nearly 3/4ths of the containers mom gave me for moving years ago. We're down to only a few now, with the largest of them being decently durable, but I essentially only keep my Alt boxes in them.

[​IMG]

Roughneck Storage Bins & Totes | Rubbermaid

This is more akin to what I prefer to use. The containers at Walmart generally run $15 or so each, but the most I've had happen to one is plastic stress marks or some slight warping with a lid. They generally have flip-lock handles as well. I'm thinking the ones detailed on the site are different than the ones I typically get, but the one I've shown here is pretty much the same.

Sometimes, the holiday containers will go on sale, but oddly enough for the "good" containers it doesn't happen as often. Walmart this past holiday season clearanced all of the containers except the ones I was looking for.

I typically try to get the larger sizes (32 gal-40 gal, I believe), as they'll fill up quickly. It seems like a lot when they're first purchased, but then after packing starts, I always remember how quickly the space fills up. I also try to get one bin every so often instead of just going and buying up a bunch. Unless there is a super-slow lull for getting TFs or other things, I don't tend to prefer large purchases for this sort of thing. ^_^

Did I say that like to use bubble wrap too?

Attached Files:

16. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I always stored mine like lasagna in shallow storage bins, plenty of bubble wrap with weapons in small plastic baggies and (since I lived in the woods) two or three mothballs to keep wee beasties from nibbling their way into my collection.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hmm . . . I may look into the mothballs. That's been a concern of mine since we've been at the house we currently reside in because our area is wooded. Do you have any specific recommendations here? I've always thought that mothballs were very stark and would end up odoring things badly.

18. batcam11

batcam11 SHINIGAMI CHOP!!!

i put the spare parts and such in a storage bin just like Supersquad7 showd and i put the bin on my Animated shelf case what you see in stores

19. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I'm not going to lie - for the first couple of days after you crack the bin open your tfs will smell...well, like mothballs. I always considered it a small price to pay to make sure mice, rats, squirrels and the like didn't destroy my collection. Just make sure the mothballs aren't in contact with any of the TFs.

20. Superquad7

News Credits: