Lik-Sang Closes Due To Sony Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Lol name and shame ftw!

3. DWN013

DWN013 Holy crap in a pita!

Dammit, I just put an order for a smartjoy frag in yesterday! :banghead: 

4. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh my god it must be great to be able to be so proud and arrogant about your company that you think it controls the whole shape of the future industry. So let me get this straight sony are upset lik sang are supplying their products to a larger potential audience.................... right ok

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

They are upset because it supposedly screw with their distribution. Like Lik-Sang sold enough to do that.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Wow, That sucks. I have used them in the past.

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Man, that sucks tough. I loved Lik-sang.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Wow, does Sony even care about their public image anymore?

9. honestgabe

honestgabe I

aw, I was just going to order a Ice Blue DS from them too :-( What the fuck!

10. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

As if my hatred for Sony weren't cemented enough. I've used that website before and it was a great supplier, and the forums a good source of information.

So if my hate was cemented before it's now cast permanantly in titanium.

11. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Fucking bastards. Yeah I don't care if I get modded for this. Sony shutting down lik-sang like that is pure horseshit.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Mildred, I just have to say: THAT'S FUCKED UP!

13. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I do find it odd that Lik-Sang, or its parent company Pacific Game Technology, never contested the charges in court. And that no one is blaming the British legal system for ruling against them.

14. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's it for me I can't take Sony's crap any more. I will continue to buy software for my already existant hardware, though i'm not buying anything from Sony's software department, and I am NEVER buying a PS3 or PSP. Sony can't get any more money out of me they can just rot, and I hope shelves are clogged with PS3's just like they are right now with PSP's.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Of course they never contested the charges in court. Sony simply out-spent them with the lawsuits causing them to have no more money, and thus not be able to opperate. From what I can tell, this law simply pervents inports of products that dont meet European safty guidelines. Now this is where I will blame their legal system, because enforcing that on the PSP is complete and utter bullshit. You see that little brick that breaks into two parts and comes with every portable Sony device? THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT ITS FUCKING PURPOSE IS!!! Its designed so that Sony products can be easily used anywhere in the world, by simply replacing the part that plugs into the wall. They probally got the ruling on the plug itself or something. Sony's lawyers must have worked like bitches trying to argue that one.

Sony just became 1000x more evil under my eyes. I think shit like this may be worse than the sins of Nintendo under Yamayuchi seeing as how the video game scene has evolved. But anyway, yeah. Fuck you Sony. Hope you're not here by this time next year!

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Actually Sony argued that the Japanese systems were not meant to be used in compliance with EU Energy and Safety standards. Which is true. They also argued that Sony Europe was not liable for upholding the warranty of an imported product. Which they aren't. And they argued that not all software purchased would be compatible, and UMD videos (not like anyone buys them anyway) would not be compatible with Japanese PSP's.

From what I could gather, there were 2 lawsuits filed. One for selling Japanese PSP's in the UK and one to prevent them from selling Japanese PS3's in the UK. By not contesting either lawsuit, Lik-Sang had no chance of winning or even staying the case. Sony would only have to present a bare bones argument since no one was there to contest their allegations. Lik-Sang decided to roll over and play the victim card instead of doing anything about it. It might have been a smart move o ntheir part, but I have no sympathy for them.

17. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I honestly dobut that the power supply on a UK PSP vs a JPN or US PSP are any different. Not only are these power supplys designed to be addaptable to other countries, but this is also a cost cutting move on Sony's part to make them interchangeable (and one that actually benifits the end user). Somebody can prove me wrong on this if I am indeed wrong.

Granted Sony Europe does not have to uphold the warrenty. That is true. And I dont see how this hurts Sony Europe if they simply dont honor the warrenty.

And not having UMD videos work is bullshit. If anything, inporting a PSP from Japan is much better than inporting a PSP from the US for European customers. UMD uses the same region coding system as DVDs. Therefore, Europe and Japan use the same region code (region 2 fyi). So I dont see how Sony has a leg to stand on there.

No dobut that they simply rolled over, but its simply not cost effective for small companys like Lik-Sang to fight mega-coporations like Sony in court.

18. McBradders

The batteries, obviously. The power supplies with which to charge them? No. Google could have helped you there.

Wasted man hours dealing with complaints, fraudulent claims etc.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. They are in fact different regions, they just have the same number. I have Japanese DVD's that do not work on my region 2 DVD player.

Alternatively, they could have simply complied with the requests while continuing to peddle wares that allows people to take money directly out of Nintendo's pocket instead. Fuck yeah.

Insert Giant Rolleyes.

19. McBradders

Also, where were you guys defending grey importers were being sued by NINTENDO in to ceasing their actions? INCLUDING SUING LIK SANG who did not pay the settlement of $500,000 dollars that was agreed?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=1816

WHERE?

Huh?

Hypocrites.

20. Jess

Jess Active Member

This is strange. Seems like Sony would be making money too since they were selling Sony products. If the consoles were fakes or something I could understand. So they weren't a legit dealer then? They were selling different versions of consoles that weren't meant to go to other countries? Why just not make everything universal and slowly phase out this crazy region crap.