Light piping- Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyber-Kun, Feb 12, 2010.

?

Light-piping, Yay or Nay?

1. It takes away from the figure as opposed to adding to it

3.0%
  2. awesome, they really add depth to the figure

81.8%
  3. overall it shouldn't be used, except maybe for specific cases where it really takes advantage of it.

15.2%
  1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    So, looking at some figures in my collection (specifically Animated), I realized how lifeless some of them look without the light going through the light-piping. Seeing Hasbro's Iron Man figures tackling the lightblu-white eye apps really well, I think that the line overall would have looked far better without light-piping, except for maybe specific cases like the Leader figs and Shockwaves's red eye.

That started to make me think that some toys would look far better with painted apps in the eyes as opposed to light-piping, especially ones that have the light sourced blocked anyway.

so what do you guys think?

2. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Well, some cases makes the light piping really work, like Animated Swindle. Others have their eyes painted over and lightpiping...

But some figures do look lifeless without the light shooting through their eyes. Animated Bumblebee comes to mind...

But I still say yay. You could've had Swindle with painted eyes, and never had the great lightpiping with him. And you don't know how well a figure's lightpiping works if you only choose select characters to give it to. You may get the surprise fig that would've had great lightpiping but since it wasn't one of the selected figs, you would never know it.

3. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I chose option three in the poll, but my real answer is; I don't really feel it adds much of anything, so it's pretty unimportant to me. It's simply, in my book, a fairly useless 'feature' used to justify a buck here, a few cents there.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yay. There's no cheaper or easier way to get glowy robot eyes.

5. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    its all lame...its just to give it a cheap glowy eye effect which rarely works at all...infact the ony thing is seems to do is make the back of the heads look like crap

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I feel pretty neutral on the subject, it really doesn't matter to me either way if a bot has light piping or not.

The only gripe I ever had with eyes was the G1 Seekers... Eye stickers Hasbro? Really? :crazy: 

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    no neutral option? eh, ill say yay-cause sometimes when the eyes do glow... wow. i wasnt paying attention to the fact that ROTF Lockdown has it, i pushed his head and it caught the light from my computer screen... i nearly screamed, i thought its ees were really lighting up lol.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Most definately YAY!!

Light piping is awesome. The best gimmick ever.

9. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favorite eyes. Painted eyes most of the time look cheap/badly painted. Eletronic eyes require batteries and you press a button to light up his eyes for few seconds.

Toys like Supreme Starscream, Unicron, Primus, Movie Leader OP and Megatron look like they are death or inactive.

10. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Best series arcing gimmick.

11. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Light piping...Did you say... Light piping? Where's Thew when you need him?! ;) 

12. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Thew is in the process of moving to a new place of residence.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In most cases, I don't feel that it adds or detracts much from a figure. Often, I don't even notice it, since either the translucent plastic is too dark or the light-piping is obstructed by the kibble or the head position or something. When it works well, though, it is a very nice effect.

What I don't understand is figures where light-piping is present but the eyes are painted over. Seems like a waste of a paint application.

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    When done right, light piping is great, but that's a rare occasion, so rare that I wish they would just paint them in most of the time. Only a few colors, pure red or light blue, seem to shine through properly, while most others usually just look black, either because a light has to be directly behind them or the plastic is too dark or too oddly shaped to let light through. I dont like that because I grew up with the '86 movie, black eyes means dead to me. Especially if you're like me and shelf display your collection, there's no back lighting then at all, which makes for a lot of black eyes. (I have the same problem with light up eyes, I have to hit a button to make the toy not look dead)

The one time it was done perfectly and I wish they did it more often was Universe 2 Inferno. Clear plastic with pearl-painted eyes, no trouble with light at all and it would work with any paint color. Even in shade his eyes shine.

15. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    Yes. light piping is awesome. Especially with visors.

16. Lucario Prime

Lucario Prime is a Lucario Prime is...

News Credits:
    Well, I do like how much of the modern figures have light piping, but some of them really do not need it. Some figures have light piping, but their back kibble, or other complications make it so that the light does not shine through.

I would really love for the neon glow that the WfC models have to be light piping on the figures. Even though it won't have light shining through, it would look really nice.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I like light piping.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I don't miss it's lack on Grindcore - sometimes it works well though.

19. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Sometimes hasbro fails at it especially when back kibble gets in the way but overall i love light piping. Its a nice effect for the figures and it does not detract from the over all quality like some gimmicks will. (minicons and some automorph i am looking at you!) Some figures have amazing light piping like Animated swindle, Animated BB, and HA BB, and ROTF dirge his lightpiping is awesome.
    So for light piping i give it a firm yay!

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's the only reason I voted for it.