light bulb question???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CVprowl, Aug 2, 2011.

1. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

im hoping someone knowledgeable can help us out in this department.

ok so a longtime ago i read some collectors discussing different kind of light bulbs and their effects on damaging collectibles.

i remember some people were saying that the new florescent light bulbs (the energy savers) were the worst kind to have. thats about all i remember.

one other thing i think i remember them saying was that they were stocking up on incandescent bulbs because they were better and will be outlawed in 2012.

LED sounds the best for accent lighting, but i mean for the main light source for a room.

i picked these GE Reveal incandescent bulbs up today.

GE Consumer & Industrial Lighting: Products: GE Reveal light bulbs

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Oh wow. I remember that thread! I've been meaning to ask this very question.

3. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Feit Electric makes LED bulbs. They cost $15-$20 a piece, but they're available. Should be in any chain grocery store.

I have yet to get one, but I've been planning on it. I'll... try to find this thread when I get to it? We'll see.

4. Meangreen

Meangreen Member

I believe the issue with fluorescent lights is the fact that they emit more UV rays than the regular incandescent. UV can cause or speed up some chemical reactions that can lead to objects oxidising/losing/changing colour etc. That's not to say that using incandescent will protect any better though.

It should be noted that museums tend to shy away from fluorescent for lighting things like artifacts too. Also, the UV is only in very small quantities anyway.

As for LED's? I have no idea what standard of lighting that technology has got to these days. But I am keen to find out.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

MAJOR BLOOD found the original thread i was talking about. it was over at hisstank.

Can indoor lighting ruin comics? - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe

there's lots of good info in there, all the way to the end of the thread.

im going to stock up on these bulbs i bought today i think.

ill have to look into led more to see whats up with that. or maybe someone here has more info.