Life after Prime/Megs, what would it look like?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kronatron, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Noooo. While it's beyond the war it's just not what I'm thinking for a new show.

2. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Indeed. I watch RB with my kids every now and then, and I've seen prime and bumblebee show up quite a few times, so it's still too close to the original cast.

Honestly, I sorta wanna see a TF colony of new-bloods wake up with no identity. Stuff happens and they behave as their ideal versions of themselves. Until just one of them, perhaps the most vulnerable, finds out who they really are and begins to manipulate them to do morally questionable, character-flaw'ing things in order to be the big fish in the little pond.

Something like that.
    -Kronatron

3. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    In a way we're exploring something akin to that right now. In IDW, Starscream is the legal head of state of Cybertron, Megatron defected to the Autobots and is technically now under Optimus' command. In RID, Autobots and Decepticons seem to be really disorganized and while the Autobots are still ostensibly seen as the good guys, the actual leaders of Cybertron are against both factions. Optimus just came back to life, Megs is in exile, nobody is really leading either faction. Bumblebee leads a small team, but Steeljaw was the only one who came close by leading a huge army of largely B and C level Decepticons. Rescue Bots certainly does not feature Optimus or Megatron leading armies as well. And Age of Extinction also had it different other than Optimus leading the Autobots in that the main threats were a non-aligned bounty hunter and a CIA task force.

Right now the franchise is experimenting a bit. Old habits die hard, and any certain Optimus or Megatron will never stay dead. But right now we're experimenting with different leaders like Bumblebee, Starscream, Windblade, Steeljaw, and Autobot Megatron to an extent.

But the key is doing something different each time even if you've got Optimus and Megs leading the factions. Beast Wars Megs was a calculating, scheming egomaniac and much smarter than his predecessor, while Primal was a fairly chill guy leading a small band of misfits who didn't take things too seriously in the beginning. Animated Optimus was a young rookie and way down the chain of command, Megs was more of a self-styled freedom fighter than ever before. Hell even RID is doing something a bit different with Optimus who feels like he's got something to prove and went back on his word that Bee could lead by himself because he stubbornly felt that he was the better leader in their situation.

If you're doing something different or original in regards to the character each time, then it won't get stale. Something like Prime with a cardboard Optimus and Megatron got stale really fast. And wouldn't you know, it was the characters with largely original or different characterizations that became the most popular, like Ratchet, Knock Out, Soundwave, Breakdown, Dreadwing, Fowler, Predaking and hell even one-off's like Hardshell and Vogel.