LG-EX Big Powered Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shin Densetsu, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Pretty much all the above (imo). For myself, it's a chance to get modern updates of certain 'historical' Japanese G1, relatively less well-known Transformers (I was never really a fan of the G1 toys, though - Articulation>Bricks). We're getting a Dai Atlas toy that isn't a simple repaint of another character. I also like the colourful Brave style aesthetic - one of the reasons I got Greatshot.

I'm also pleased they retained the Headmaster feature.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

The figures being Headmasters might be a big divisive, but their original G1 figures did include Micromaster partners. Since the Headmasters can interact with the figures apparently in a similar manner compared to the Micromasters in the G1 figures. I think it's fine for what it is.

• Like Like x 3
  3. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, perhaps I'm not using the word modernized in the way that's it common here. When I think of a 'modern' version of Big Powered, I would expect a (stronger) reinvisioning of certain key designs/functional elements.

But it doesn't matter really. This update is viewed as being up to modern standards so I that's what Gamerlingual was referring to.

4. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    It's a TTMall exclusive, so most Japanese stores won't carry it. (I think Anime-export is the only one) You'll have to get it from a store that will middleman it, such as TFSource/BBTS. I think it's up at most of the site sponsors. Dai Atlas appears to still split in half to form his vehicle mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Si

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    sentinel wasnt in the cartoon, that was a retcon, does takara even recognize that retcon?

7. mondo

mondo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are the names of the Headmasters for the LG-EX Big Powered set?

8. IronMagnus

IronMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My complete guess is that they would be named after the micromasters that came with the originals.

Dai Atlas: Speeder
    Sonic Bomber: Sonic
    Roadfire: Drillbuster

9. nathan_s82

nathan_s82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a huge fan of this crew. I read the Manga and watched the show. Just wish it would have continued on more.

10. WereDragon EX

Well, then he was retconned in, and ergo, he was in the cartoon.

11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    read the second part of that statement, does takara recognize the retcon? if they dont, then as far as they are concerned no he wasnt

12. WereDragon EX

Already did.

13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Apparently not since you didn’t have a snarky reply for it :lol 

The truth of the matter is that sky shadow looks suitably like himself, he’ll look at legends lioconvoy for Takara deviating from their own source. Lg lioconvoy is even more different from bw2 lioconvoy than sky shadow is from victory black shadow, but I’m sure you’ll dismiss that point as something along the lines of beast wars not counting

14. WereDragon EX

Apparently I did. Just waiting for someone else to do that work for me.

A Hasbro initiated Sky Shadow can transform into an elephant and still look "suitably like himself" in robot mode, but would Takara release that? Probably not.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think Takara will count out Black Shadow. Given that they retooled Misfire/Twin Twist/Sky Shadow extensively for this LG EX Big Powered set, new legs for Black Shadow aren't outside the realm of possibility.

They were probably holding off because while Hasbro is okay with Sky Shadow being Sky Shadow with Overlord's legs which also turn into a tank, Takara might be planning an accurate Black Shadow in the future with more accurate legs that maybe transform into something else instead of a tank. They might even time it for release around the release of Star Saber, a figure John Warden has strongly hinted at in the past year or so.

I don't think that's impossible given how far Takara went to even make a new Big Powered set. I don't think anyone saw that coming. New legs for Black Shadow, especially given that it's yet to be released in Japan as part of the LG line, is not a stretch to me. Then they can retool those further for Thunderwing.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    takara released a lioconvoy that turned into a spaceship, had a unicorn horn in lion mode, and looked nothing like lioconvoy in robot mode. plus sky shadows jet portion looks more like black shadows alt mod than lioconvoys lion unicorn mode looks like bw2 lioconvoy, so again your point is kind of contradicted by takaras own actions.

17. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I don't think LG EX Black Shadow is out of the realm of possibility. But I do think it lurks on the outskirts on a desert planet somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WereDragon EX

The figure in question still retained its traditional lion mode (the horn is a minor change in the vein of the UW Stuncticons) and adding an extra spaceship mode that does not significantly detract from transformation or composition of the figure isn't a terribly big deal, since it's not that integral to the figure and can be seen as a bonus that can be ignored if the owner of the figure doesn't like it. The same cannot be said for Sky Shadow's tank component, which has to be either separated from the jet component or attached rather incongruously to the bottom of the jet. I daresay the aesthetic of the robot mode isn't too big a deal as long as the face is the same and much of the body still alludes to who the character is. Note that I didn't complain about Sky Shadow's legs looking like Overlord's, seeing it as a "minor change". In any case, Legends Lio Convoy has the same face, lion parts on his shoulders, and a chest that looks rather like the one on his original figure, so I think any other deviations in robot mode are "minor changes" that can be overlooked, since as I said before, Takara isn't above letting some "minor changes" or deviations slide.

Going back to my comment, if a Hasbro initiated Sky Shadow was a triple changer that transformed into a jet and elephant, I'm of the opinion Takara is more likely to release that because the figure still has its traditional jet mode and the elephant mode can be ignored if the owner of the figure doesn't like it. Ergo, my point isn't contradicted.

19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    That's why I thought about ever seeing an LG Big Powered set but here we are

20. WereDragon EX

I never said Takara would never give Sky Shadow a new figure. I theorized that Hasbro's version was given a pass by Takara for release because it isn't faithful to what Sky Shadow originally was (mainly the addition of a tank component) and being more like Overlord than his actual G1 self. I am of the thought that Takara would want to release a Sky Shadow that solely transformed into a jet, but didn't have the chance to make such a figure due to factors like budget, release schedules, etc.