LG-EX Big Powered Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shin Densetsu, Sep 27, 2018.

1. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Not arguing that there might not be a desire for accurate legs for a future Black Shadow release. But I'd be surprised if the desire is as strong as wanting characters that haven't even seen release yet. TT would miss out on a lot of international sales with such a release, for one thing. And some Japanese sales as I'm certain a fair few fans made the import from the U.S. in lieu of nothing from Japan.

So, I'm not questioning whether they could do an LG EX Black Shadow with accurate legs. Nor am I questioning the fact that there might be some demand. I'm sure there is...

But is that demand as high as, say, Autobot Targetmasters? Or Jr. Autobot Headmasters? Or even a nice LG EX Doubledealer? Because I know I wouldn't put up premium money for a slightly different version of a figure I already own. That's just from my perspective...

2. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As much as I love BBTS, I cancelled my preorder with them and made it with TCP - both for the free shipping and to escape sales taxes, and I like to support the "little guy."
    Which used to be one of my main reasons for supporting BBTS.

• Like Like x 2
  3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Optimal Opthanos

News Credits:
    No see that was the Tuesday after he was announced. Prior to that it was that Sky Shadow was a headmaster and a duocon now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thundermania

Thundermania Liege Centuro

YouTube:
    Right, I thought it was Wednesday where it was that his Headmaster was one of Overlord's guys and NOT an homage to Blue Bacchus.

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, that's the trio preordered. Now the wait.

7. Masktique

Masktique #1 Sideways Fan

News Credits:
    I actually like Brawl too... guess that makes two of us? Granted, my Brawl was solid as well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never had any qc issues with the 4 versions of the tank mold I had (cw, uw, and liokaiser)

• Like Like x 1
  9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Man...this set is great. I'm a big fan of the Japanese G1 stuff. Can't wait to get this to go along with the others I got.

As a big fan of anime robots the Japanese G1 stuff really fits the bill. More JG1 the better.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    This is a nifty set. It's funny but most of the Japanese G1 characters don't appeal to me but I think it may have been that the G1 molds just never impressed me. These guys I like their design. Plus Dai Atlas is just a cool name in general.

11. Prowl83

Prowl83 Well-Known Member

I haven't purchased a non MP figure in about five years but I couldn't help myself with this set. I owned an original giftset at one point and this brought back so many memories.

12. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    At least three. I never minded Brawl, and the two versions of that mold that came with Liokaiser were pretty solid.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thundermania

YouTube:
    I personally had the degraded Nosecone version of the mold. Him and Lightspeed made up the flimsy legs of Computron.

14. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are giving TakaraTomy more ideas which is good for all of us, haha

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thundermania

YouTube:
    IMG_0424.JPG
    You know with LG-EX putting out some pretty off-the wall ideas I wouldn't mind this guy. Gotta throw in the chainsaw though.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If there is ever a chance of Takara Metalhawk being release, am sure other Pretenders like Lander will follow through as well, that will be great, haha

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mishap

Mishap Active Member

I think it could work. POTP Blackwing's jet mode, rather resembles Liokaiser's chest, and compared to Scramble City combiners, Liokaiser has less add-on kibble. If you hollow out Leozack's torso (ie. no combiner peg), there's the space for the giant head. As for the lower part, something like a CW Hound or Swindle is a good start for a retool.

Exactly. I think that may have been what was preventing a standard CW-sized Predaking... especially the wings. Still, that could have been done with a bit of creativity. Yes, deluxe Divebomb's wings would probably be too small for the combined form, so how do you enlarge them? Maybe design the parts so that the swords of the four deluxe robots clip to the outside of the wings. If done right, it could be just enough to make a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WereDragon EX

WereDragon EX Well-Known Member

I don't really see the headmaster thing or the addition of a base mode as all that of a "major change", so to speak, at least not in comparison to the changes made to Liokaiser's composition and Sky Shadow's alt mode. In any case, the things you mentioned are line-wide gimmicks, so did you instead expect Takara to skip an entire line or retool everything in the line to not be a Headmaster? That'll be a tad silly. The fact that Takara still went and gave the TR characters who were originally Targetmasters (but had said Targetmasters instead become Titan Masters by Hasbro's lore) their Targetmaster guns still suggests that they lean more towards accuracy in character faithfulness. If Takara "didn't mind" the changes to the degree you seem to suggest, then what was the point of that? It seems more to me that Hasbro implemented a line-wide gimmick and Takara was more or less forced to go along with it and created those explanations to tell their consumer base who the characters were Headmasters (suggesting said consumer base does care about character accuracy and Takara is trying to appease them by "justifying" the changes).

I don't think the Sentinel Prime argument really holds either, since Takara was at the time, big on character accuracy (see the Targetmaster point and how they were keen to keep original line-ups in their combiner boxsets). Sentinel Prime was a character that barely made much of an impact in the original G1 cartoon and had little characterization and conceptualization from it. The "Sentinel Prime" we see in TR was mainly all Hasbro's idea. I don't see Takara really being keen or interested in releasing anything that didn't really conform accurately to what the G1 cartoons portrayed at the time, and Sentinel Prime in TR is a hugely different beast from his G1 cartoon incarnation. As you say, Takara would rather see how the mold can be repurposed into something else that faithfully represents a character in his G1 cartoon portrayal, and it seems they didn't manage to do this with Sentinel Prime and Sky Shadow, hence the lack of a release of those figures in Japan.

As for Liokaiser, as can be inferred, there may not have been enough budget to do a midsection that faithfully represents his original combiner team line-up. Takara wasn't above doing one-off releases after UW ended, see Baldigas/Ruination, and I argue that Liokaiser could have been another similar release. Maybe there wasn't enough budget to handle him faithfully as Takara was apt to do for their releases of CW and TR figures, so he was consequently not released in Japan.

19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I personally never thought they would retool out the Headmaster gimmick from the non-Headmaster characters, but they could have skipped most of them if they wanted to. But instead they released almost everyone, and made up an explanation for a new -master or alt mode when needed. They could have easily done that with Sky Shadow if they wanted to, so just being a little different with the alt mode is no big deal when others like any triple changers who had alt-mode alterations were released with new fiction to explain it away. Also if they were that concerned about character faithfulness to the degree you suggest, why did 4 of those Targetmasters come with a character that they didn't belong to in G1?

There is no G1 cartoon portrayal for Windblade, either, she was also a Hasbro idea, but that didn't stop them from releasing her in Legends. Twice. They'll use new characters when they want to, or will go so far as to repaint new characters like Victorion into more new characters like Megatronia that they like better. Whatever works for the story they're telling, and not always reflective of keeping things accurate. So if they wanted him to, Sentinel would have fit in just fine.

Except Baldigas was a part of the Unite Warriors line, not a one off.

• Like Like x 1