Customs: Leviathan

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Blunticus, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Blunticus

Blunticus Combiner

Okay,
    So in the spirit of all these combiners, I've been itching to do my own. The majority of my boring office cubicle job time is spent looking at the masterpieces on this site. Lots of praise to all of you customizers especially with all the gestalts coming out.
    So, here's my Idea and I would love comments and critiques. I want to do my own custom combiner (who doesn't) with an original design. I want to do a nautical themed combiner and call him FLOTILLA. <---(edit:LEVIATHAN)
    Here's the makeup:
    Tidalwave will be the base figure. He's large enough, although I want to make some mods to his head and legs for better articulation
    R Leg: Energon Dreadwing
    L Leg: Cybertron Evac-as a coast guard SAR helo (I like the movie alt mode of blackout, but the bot mode doesn't go well with the others.
    R Arm: Energon Sharkticon
    L Arm: Thunderblast.

With evac and thunderblast as the arms their extra parts (Rotor and cannon respectively) would look great on the combined form I think.

I've never done a custom, (I know, awfully lofty goals to start out with) but I really am looking forward to this. I would love tips or tutorials on how you guys attach them together to make the combiner without making the attaching kibble to obvious in individual forms. I don't have all the bots to put them together to give you a combined look yet, but hopefully with the pics I supply you can imagine.
    Thanks for any comments or critiques!

Attached Files:

2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Well it sound like a pretty sick idea! n your right who dosent want there own Custom Combiner! :p 
    But the arms n legs sound a little off scale, because Dreadwing is a Voyager n Sharkticon is a Deluxe figure, as well as for the arms too Evac Voyager n Thunderblast Deluxe, woo why not which things around?

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Interesting idea... I remember quite some time ago, I designed a team of "Nauticons" with a friend (you can see them here) though I never considered actually building them! I'm eager to see how this turns out!

I think you may have some problems with Energon Sharkticon as a leg... he is markedly smaller than Energon Dreadwing. He's just an ordinary deluxe, while Dreadwing is actually pretty big (a large Voyager?). You might want to swap EVAC and Sharkticon's position. Or alternatively, there is an oversized KO version of Sharkticon that has often been on Ebay, which is about Voyager size. If you could find one, that may work too... still smaller than Dreadwing, but not by as much.

However, seeing as the others are at least somewhat identifiable seafaring vehicles, and Sharkticon is... well... a submarine thing shaped like a robot shark (?), he might not fit in.

Other than those concerns, bring it on! :) 

zmog

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm not big on the name, but the concept is great. Perhaps the Autobot's answer to the Seacons?

Also, I was going to say that E. Mirage/Dreadwing isn't the same class as Sharkticon, but I agree that making the latter an arm might solve this issue.

I'll be using E. Mirage for a future custom as well.

p.s. I think you can mod Sharkticon to resemble a submarine.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    The name for this sounds like some awful new dessert item from Taco Bell. You could probably come up with a better nautical themed name than that, because this one has no traction for me. (and since you are clearly making this custom exclusively for me, you better listen to what I am saying!! ;)  )

The idea for this sounds like awesome on a stick though, can't wait to see more. There are not enough combiners being made that aren't green dump trucks and cranes etc.

6. Satomiblood

This

7. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

I did a very quick and rough photoshop, but it should look something a bit like this:

[​IMG]

And I would change the name for the combiner

8. Satomiblood

Is there another modern sea vehicle he can use instead of Evac?

9. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I think I have a name for replacing Flotilla, what about Poseitron by combining Poseidon and tron. Well I know its not great, but it was worth a shot.

10. Satomiblood

Call him Leviathan

Also, I really think you and SMOG should collaborate on this project.

11. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great idea and I hope it works out. Evac seems a bit out of place among the futuristic boats, but that is the least of your challenges to make this happen. Good luck.

12. Blunticus

Blunticus Combiner

Holy Crab-Cakes, LEVIATHON it is!
    That's an awesome name. And I completely agree with the sizing situation. The problem was I didn't have them all available to do a sizing match up. I'll probably do some mods to corellate the alts to looking more alike, but I really do like the idea of a SAR helo in there. I may be partial since I am a Search and Rescue swimmer, but dang I just think it would be cool with them. I do like Destron's (not quite to scale) photo shop placement though. I'll probably have the back tail and rotor come up out of the front of the knee.
    So any combining tips from anyone?

13. Blunticus

Blunticus Combiner

That's what I was thinking, a good group of autobots. I'll need to mod some of the heads of course to make more autobot friendly. I came up with a few rough sketches for Leviathon's head as well, (thanks for the suggestion btw:thumb ) I'll post them later. I'll probably see if i can't get sculptbot to work on that. I honestly don't think it will take too much for Sharkticon to look more like a vessel than a shark, I'm more worried about what i'll have to do to Evac to get him futuristic looking while still looking like a search and rescue helo and not an attack helo. Otherwise I could probably use bulkhead.

14. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

This is a bit better in scale. It's not so easy to photoshop a picture when you only have Paint as your program.

[​IMG]

15. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    i made a few quick tweaks to your paint version, hope it's helpful -

[​IMG]

16. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Wow that's really good, and it looks like it started with my image aswell. My photoshop CS2 is currently not working (the reason I had to use Paint) but how did you make the main image of the cominer appear darker, as if it really was in a storm?

17. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    just reduced the saturation and brightness and increased the contrast, until it looked like it vaguely matched the background.
    then pasted in the side parts of a zaku head (for the pipes and wide head shape) and made the eyes glow, made a couple of splashes around the bottom of the legs, and pasted devastator into leviathon's hand

18. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    sig-friendly version if you want -

[​IMG]

19. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Leviathon..um.I like it. It has a nice ring to it. Hey, Blunticus sorry of putting the name Posietron there..my bad it didn't fit well with what you wanted, but thats okay. Besides maybe use it as a Decepticon name, but who knows.

20. Blunticus

Blunticus Combiner

No sweat Ezilla, I just thought Posietron could be misconstrued as something else if the wrong emphasis was used in the name, or it was said quickly.
    Also, kjeevah, if you don't mind, I think I would like to use that as a sig, and of course I would give you and Destron credit.