Let's Talk Twins

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Let's Talk Twins:

We all know that Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are twins. We all know that they don't look any where near alike. We also know that twins don't have to look alike and that twins if I'm correct here, are two siblings that are born basically at the same time? If so, how does that translate to Transformers where they are "manufactured"?

I can see Sideswipe and Sunstreaker being brothers for sure, but certainly not twins. In Season Two we are introduced to Red Alert who in my opinion should've been Sideswipes twin as they are much closer in appearance.

All three are Lamborghini Countach's. Except Sunstreaker look's like some bastardized highly modified Countach with some sort of big-bad Hemi-Blower on the back of him! Sideswipe is just a plain simple red Countach LP500. Red Alert is also a simple Countach LP500 with a white/red paint scheme and sirens on top.

I'm surprised that Red Alert isn't even part of their "family"! Why isn't he like a third brother or cousin or something? If it were up to me, Sideswipe and Red Alert would've been brothers and Sunstreaker a distant cousin.

What other G1 Transformers are brothers and/or have other family ties?
    Sunstreaker (G1) - Transformers Wiki

2. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Skids and Mudflap; Jetfire and Jetstorm; RiD Prowl, X-Brawn and Sideburn. There are others, but those are the ones I remember.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I believe what constitutes as "Twins" or "brothers" in the Transformers mythos is that they share the same Spark.

There's a number of Transformers who look alike, but I believe it's because they share the same Protoform mold.

That's basically what I've come to understand about this whole twin thing and why some TFs look exactly alike in both robot and alt-mode. I'm sure other members will be able to give better explanations than I can on this subject.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Several Ultra Magnuses are brothers with their Optimus Primes.

Imagine if Movie Ultra Magnus is brothers with both Optimus and Megatron. That would be wierd

5. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

When a transformer is given a spark, it can sometimes split in two, then the halves would regenerate since usually sparks are pure energy that uses energon as fuel, and energon is present in a transformer's body. The halves are put into two protoforms, and in contact with the energon, they regenerate. The two twins share some similarities in personality, usually. They share physical similarities aswell if they share the same body type.

When a transformer looks like another transformer, it's because they share the same body type. A spark is put in a body, which looks in some way. There are more bodies that look the same, and when a spark is put into them, they look the same. They are not brothers, they just look alike.

Hope that helped.

6. Tigertrack

Wow, that's a nice explanation there! I never thought to look at it that way. Any possibilities of Megatron and Shockwave being brothers? Yea, they don't look alike, but their both gun's and have similar cold-hearted personalities.

7. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Uhhhh ...... I ... you make a very good point.

8. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
  9. Tigertrack

Never thought to look for relatives! Thank's!

10. Attacker_Prime

It can sometimes be a coincidence, too. Sometimes people have a lot in common, and they become friends. Probably something similar happens to the Cybertronian race.

11. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    I noticed that Wiki article mentioned a MTMTE piece pertaining to Protoform X and Dinobot II being 'half' brothers, and mentions a distinction between siblings and clones as being dependent on whether or not a spark splits naturally or artificially.

I figured Proto X was a Starscream clone given the spark was meant to be a replication of Starscream's spark. If he's not a clone, what is he? Estranged son?

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think that you have to look at it from a story telling point of view.

In many cultures twins are looked as being somehow different than two brothers or two sisters of roughly the same age. Sort of like how the Japanese are likely to see two brothers as fairly normal but a pair of twins would be seen as likely mischief makers. Even in the US we often expect twins to think exactly alike when they are sometimes two very different people.

So from a story telling point of view twins can let you play off a perspective that you could not play off if the characters were just brothers or just sisters.

13. Tigertrack

Isn't it interesting how something as totally completely fictitious as the Transformers world, tries to have a very logical explanation for things? If their that fictitious, why not just simply have, eh pardon-me, robo-sex?

Just read that Rumble and Frenzy are also brothers!

14. Attacker_Prime

Because, after all, the Transformers are aimed at kids. And, besides, they aren't organical.

15. Tigertrack

True that...............................

16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    As far as G1, the first guys I considered to be "twins" were teams like the Insecticons and clones like Cloudraker and Fastlane because they were made at the same time and share really similar character traits and designs. I think the Lamborgini "Twins" term was a fan-coined term like the Seekers. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original G1 media the strongest hint we get to them being Twins are moments where they're eluded to being brothers.

17. Tigertrack

As for the Insecticons, they were basically just that clones. They "cloned" themselves when needed reinforcements. I can see Skywarp and Thundercracker being brothers, but not twins. Starscream maybe a third brother who's been outcased cause nobody likes his attitude?

Cliffjumper and Bumblbee?

What about Prowl and Silverstreak, their both Datson 280Z's and both look the same just like Red Alert and Sideswipe do. Variants in colors and minor details..............

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

It is not a universal constant that TF's are "manufactured".....that depends on the continuity.

Further more its not just their bodies but what makes them alive.Call it a spark or what ever you like.

19. Tigertrack

I'm speaking of coarse mostly G1, but I agree with what ^you^ said.

20. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Actually no. Sideswipe and Sunstreaker were specifically noted to be twins in their original bios:

Sideswipe's original bio
    Sunstreaker's original bio