Let's talk repaints!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ra88, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Repaint.

Almost immediately, that word sends shivers up a fan's spine, and images of garish repaints that use horribly varying and visually unpleasing colorschemes, or just simply ones that don't make any sense whatsoever, or ones that were nice in concept but have a horrible execution. Either that, or you have decent if standard repaints, or even those who somehow manage to be garish, yet surprisingly cool!

But there also those repaints that go beyond ordinary repaints. Repaints that do everything right, repaints that are so damn awesome that they make an initially crappy looking figure worth getting, or repaints that make an already cool figure ascend into god-tier levels of cool. They may be rare and inbetween, but who are very much real.

My question to you, my friends, is this: What are your absolutely most favorite repaints? Which ones just do it for you, and which ones are recognized as unquestionably awesome? Post them, with pics if you can, and bonus points if they're cool looking! Remolds and Takara repaints (Henkei) are allowed, but let's try and keep it to normal ones, okay? :)  And customs will most definately not count, not being commonly commercially available and all. :p 

I'll start us off.

[​IMG]

A stunning repaint. The use of black really makes him look stealthy, with the purple both being gorgeous and blending in with the black when it's even close to the shadows. Pictures will never do this one justice.

[​IMG]

I got the first movie Starscream, and I HATED it. The colors were uninteresting and bland, the plastic felt weak for some reason, and it really didn't bring out the strong points of the toy. But then this came along. At first I was hesitant, recalling my horrible experiences with the original, but for 15 bucks I figured "eh, what the hell". I have never regretted that decision. Various shades of grey and silver, all rich, and all working together perfectly to make it pop out. And it even has enough smaller detailing to make one say 'WOW'! I completely turned around on the figure because of the colorscheme, and it is thé perfect example of how to make a figure look better with an excellent paintjob.

[​IMG]

An odd choice, but I am almost afraid no-one would mention this. I owned Master Megatron, but while it was a nice figure, it never really did it for me, one of the reasons why I ended up selling it. Mostly at fault were the simply weird colors that it had; ranging from grey to lila, from orange to clear blue, from green to black...It was somewhat of a mess, an oddly appealing mess, but still. But then this guy came along. It traded the garish colors for a stunning silver/black/red colorscheme that was incredibly appealing and popped out immediately.
    Hower, the best part was the silver paint. It's the same as on Deep Space Starscream, but as far as I am aware this is the first figure that used it, at least to this extent. It was the first real replacement for chrome; just as appealing, shiny without being obnoxious, yet durable and hard to scrape. It felt classy, it felt expensive, and it's something that should be used more on figures! I think the silver is the main reason why I like this guy; the black and red really work together to make this guy visually interesting, but there's just something about that silver...

Those are just some off the top of my hat. Now, what are the repaints that YOU love? :) 

2. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Universe Stormcloud !

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I personally love repaints!

Here are some of my current favorites:

ROTF Thrust
    [​IMG]

Alternators Ricochet
    [​IMG]

ROTF Bruticus Maximus
    [​IMG]

Machine Wars Optimus Prime
    [​IMG]

TFTM Warpath
    [​IMG]

There are so many more that I like, it's impossible to list them all!

4. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

henkei red alurt

5. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Cybertron Repugnus is one of my favorite repaints, excluding some of the ones that have been mentioned.

[​IMG]

6. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Agreed, also Universe 2.0 Vector Prime, Botcon Flak, and Dirge repaint of Cybertron SS.

7. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Ok here's some of my favorite repaints (sorry for old and/or previously seen pics >_<).

The TFTM Grindor (green) figure was a great use of the mold! Especially since he can be used as the only Autobot Constructicon (depending on which continuity you use). Those two mini-cons in back are alright to.
    [​IMG]

Storm Surge just makes my day! He's a hovercraft in great coast guard-ish colors and he's just....awesome!
    [​IMG]

Crosshairs from the new 10 pack of mini-cons. The black paint with gold highlights almost makes up for the effing weird elbows >_>.
    [​IMG]

RotF Gears. With the super vibrant colors it brings a whole new character to an already great mold (even without a new head).
    [​IMG]

TFTM Fracture as a Crasher homage. It just works in so many ways!
    [​IMG]

I also agree that Vector Prime and Dirge (from Cyb. Starscream) are both amazing. (Actually along with TFTM Big Daddy and Universe Ratbat!)

(Yes, my pics, no not shopped >.>)

8. Omega Charge

Omega Charge CHARGE ON

News Credits:
    Totally agree with DS Starscream, he's amazing. I think Premium Leader Megatron was also a huge improvement. As for other repaints, Cybertron had some good ones.

Cannonball
    Excellion
    Nemesis Breaker
    Dark Scorponok

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    The "Thrust" repaint of Cyb. Starscream is always tops in my book (even though I still don't have one T_T). Nucleon Quest SuperConvoy is also really cool. For one, he's a black Prime that isn't "Evil" and the PM Prime/Ginrai toy just looks absolutely badass in those colors. I also really dig the Stealth Bumblebee from the first movie line. He looks really cool with his colors reversed, but mostly I dig the story Hasbro wrote explaining it. Saying that Mikaela helped him pick his new colors because they were cool looking.

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
  11. Hippobotimus

Hippobotimus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I gotta agree with you on Deep Space SS. That metallic paint job just makes him look so much better than the original! I had to sell mine, and now I'm kinda regretting that I did. Currently, my top 3 favorite repaints are from the RotF line. They are RotF Swerve, Dead End, and Thrust. I love these molds! And I own the original figures they are repaints of (Sideswipe, Sideways, but not Breakaway).

[​IMG]

First up, Swerve. I love the red. This is how Sideswipe should've looked to be more in tune with his G1 counterpart. The new head really fits the mold, and gives the figure an overall beefier, brawler-type feel. And you don't have too worry about scratching any silver paint like you do with Sideswipe.

[​IMG]

Next up, Dead End. The number of added paint apps on this figure compared to Sideways is just amazing. From the gorgeous gloss black exterior in alt mode to the red rims, to the touches of gold in bot mode, this figure is just beautiful. A definite must have if you are into the movie figures.

[​IMG]

And last, but not least, Thrust. I really wasn't into the original Breakaway figure. The sad looking, beady eyes and bland colors just didn't do it for me. But, Thrust, with his dark maroon and black colors with touches of silver here and there was a definite "must get". He just looks cooler and tougher than Breakaway. And the overall design of the figure is genius. He looks like a mech. A fantastic, solid robot design.

So, these are some repaints that I love, and figures I just can't stop fiddlin' with!

12. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
  13. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    He looks awesome :) 

14. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My favorite one... RiD Scourge
    seriously, take an amazing figure [laser rod prime] and make it more badass as a con

then lets go out a few years, and we hit universe 1.0 nemesis prime
    when universe was known for god aweful repaints and garrish colors, somehow this figure [and mold which was never before released in usa] was amazing
    colors that worked, amazing articulation, and only $20?
    id say its a tie for best repaint ever

15. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

Both of Cybertron Hardtop's repaints. I skipped the original because he looked toothpaste and grape jelly thrown together. If they hadn't repainted it I would have missed out on one of my favorite figures.

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I would hurry up and get one. I love mine, he's a great figure. Much better color scheme.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad Cybertron Galvatron was already posted or I'd have a picture of that one here as well. My favorites mostly come from my Unicronian shelves...

Nemesis Prime (Armada), repaint of Optimus Prime (Armada) - Avatar of Unicron, equipped with repaints of the Energon Spear (Skyblast) and Energon Bow (Arcee)
    [​IMG]

Dark Scorponok (Cybertron), repaint and minor remold of Scorponok (Energon) - "Famine" in my alternate Horsemen of Unicron
    [​IMG]

Razorclaw (Universe 1.0), repaint of Tigerhawk (Beast Wars) - "Death" in my alternate Horsemen of Unicron
    [​IMG]

Nemesis Prime (Universe 1.0, Target exclusive), repaint of Big Convoy (Beast Wars) - "War" in my alternate Horsemen of Unicron
    [​IMG]

Cryotek (Robots in Disguise), repaint of TM2 Megatron (Beast Wars) - "Pestilence" in my alternate Horsemen of Unicron
    [​IMG]

Dreadwing (Energon), repaint of Mirage (Energon) - Herald of Primus, equipped with repaints of the Energon Spear (Skyblast) and Energon Axe (Strongarm).
    [​IMG]

Terranotron (Beast Machines), repaint of TM Terrorsaur (Beast Wars) - Herald of Primus, can't remember where I got the guns.
    [​IMG]

18. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    ^ ^ Damn, I forgot about Universe 1.0 Razorclaw and Nemsis Prime. Those are some of my favorites.

19. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    RID Scourge/Black Convoy: Turned a G2 Laser Prime mold into the most awesome black repaint we have ever gotten. Still my favorite repaint to this day.

20. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I also think that I like the Nemesis Prime repaint of Classics Prime as well. And in case you haven't noticed, I am a sucker for black repaints.