Customs: Let's Talk Pretenders!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Shadowbreaker, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Ya know, I talk a lot about customs yet post very little of mine! Hehe, don't worry, I've got a Ravage custom sitting in front of me right now. :D 

Anyway, grimlockprime's custom Pretenders are awesome!

And with the announced Skullgrin, it seems Hasbro's going for the bot mixed with the pretender look. Kind of like IDW. But here is a place to brainstorm some Custom Classic Pretenders! The bot with a beast or human figure!

Now....

For bot modes..

Skullgrin: Cybertron Crumplezone
    Bomb-Burst: grimlockprime used Energon Skyblast, but I'd prefer something larger.
    Submaurader: I just had the idea of using Energon Sharkticon!
    Iguanus: Of course, Cybertron Ransack.

Now the beast/human modes I can't help with. I didn't know of the Lizard-man toy to make an Iguanus. So maybe someone with knowledge of other toylines could help me/us?

Anywho, there you have it!

2. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you like pretenders at all you need to check this thread out Re-Imagining Pretenders. - The Allspark Forums

I posted a little sketchy of a roadblock design on the second page. You can see that we are more interested in evolving that play pattern rather than go back to normal transformer play patterns.

3. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

I've been mulling over the idea of using a Classics Rodimus (good luck finding one cheap) to represent Groundbreaker. In both modes, Groundbreaker shares Hot Rod's outline and profile. The only difference is the original vehicle mode is a rear-engine racer. His mini blaster even looks like Rodimus Prime & Hot Rod's gun.

Although the existing head is okay, I'm curious what he'd look like with a different head. Like Cybertron Defense Hot Shot's or Cybertron (regular) Hot Shot's.

-- Cybertronian.

4. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cybertronian- That could work... but would you consider keeping the pretender aspect intact?

Maybe customize an original roadgrabber car shell into an armor set for both the car and robot mode? I'm unsure of the size though, I haven't seen too many pretenders in person.

5. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Thanks for that link TGping, those were some awesome designs.

It's funny, I've really been giving some thought on doing some Pretenders customs for my collection.

6. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem Overhaulimus! I say go for it! My advice though would be to keep the essence of the pretenders intact :) 

I actually plan on doing that roadblock sketch I put up, after I illustrate it and form a coherent transformation scheme I'd like to see about starting it.

7. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    I'd love to be able to do something similar to Boltax's sketches, with armor and the ilk, but we will see.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    So far, this thread is awesome.

I'm actually on the verge of completing a set of G1 Pretenders, and I have to say that the Pretenders really grew on me more than I thought.

grimlockprime's customs are very inspiring because he did something cool with an Autobot. Granted Longtooth is a bit of a monster like the Decepticons, but one thing I really like how IDW handled the Autobot Prentenders was to make them mech suits for the robots. I'm sorry, but no matter how much I like Pretenders, I still don't like the giant human shells. You can give me monsters all day long, but dispense with the shells.

That being said, I'm in the very preliminary stages of making my G1 Autobot Pretenders reflect my thought above. The helmets generally have enough room to cover what little humanity is there. I'll keep you guys posted on that one :) 

I think GMfan101's Metalhawk really proves that this discussion has a lot of validity along with grimlockprime's customs mentioned above.

I'd tell you guys what would absolutely rock: taking those Tuner Mudflaps and making a set of Pretenders. Don't say it can't be done because I know better. :D 

9. Cybertronian

Roadgrabber (and Gunrunner -- I want to pick up a 2nd shell for him sometime in the future) are big, but not quite big enough to Pac-Man a deluxe figure. I was also disappointed to learn that instead of being large enough to transport any Pretender inner robot (like the Year 5 catalog suggests), They're only big enough to carry their own pilot. Though I haven't tried them with 1989 Pretenders, like Doubleheader or Stranglehold... they work best with Legends and maybe a disappointingly small basic.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

11. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do it! Just sayin, for that D'compose with Megatron we could use a Dino Riders T-Rex for the base, it really is a huge toy. And that megatron is easy enough to make as would be the rest of those seekers. Post the character you want to do, what toys you think would work, and we'll help you with the viability :) 

I'm jealous of your Pretender collection :D  The idea of the pretenders and possibilties of the play pattern is what really drew me in, in addition to the over the top fun designs.

I thought the armor suits worked out pretty good, I wouldn't want to see humanoid pretenders... unless it was like human alliance and they were just the pilot-like. And then I would still incorporate stuff like Boltax does. I think in addition to fun earth alts, the pretenders give people a chance to think of other cybertronian type modes that adhere to the characters original traits.

That metalhawk is great, but I think its missing a big part of being a pretender, so we may disagree a little here. I recall there was a 'shell' that was a separate action figure, but it didn't interact with the TF. And the pretender line is all about interaction.

Ah, well, nothing heavy modding and scratchbuilding cant fix! Maybe if you had two roadgrabbers/gunrunners. Like how people double up for making Powermaster Prime customs. You could extend and elongate parts so a deluxe could fit.

Nice! I hope that you can get the beast to interact with the robot somehow, even if its just small bits of armor transplanted from the beast mode, like the mask or something small like that.

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I won't be making an actual shell, but I plan on creating a separate beast form to go along with it.

13. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Ok so here is my mold ideas for Pretender Megatron, all credit for the idea goes to Boltax for the drawings and to TGping for the idea on what to use for the T-Rex shell.

So for Rex shell, Dino Riders T-Rex:
    [​IMG]
    I really dig the extra armor that it has, so I might try to get a complete or near complete one to use.

As far as Megs and the Seekers go, I might change the idea up and use the 3 main Seekers ala Screamer, Warp, and Cracker.

Megs, figured we have a Cyberjet Megaplex aka Megatron figure, why not put it some good use and while we are at it, just use the same figure for the seekers, just give them new heads.

So here we are on the actual 'Con figures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Megaplex pictures belong to TFU.info, all I did was rehost them.

14. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can they intercange their weapons or armor? If not, I'm sure it'll still be a fun custom, I'm just pushing my own agenda a little.

Awesome... For the T-rex a local shop near me had just the body for 20$, thats how I know the size fits good for a close to supreme size toy. It might not be quite big enough for the basics to fit in his legs... but maybe with some ingenuity you could get it. And if you really want some premade bone stuff, check out the toy line "Bone Age" Or maybe some Zoids Genesis kits would work.

ANd the seekers+megs is a no brainer, maybe include some more G1 weapons? Man, I'm psyched! Unless they are a little too big, we could use some legends size figures, aren't there some good seeker type legends?

15. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Yea there are the Cybertron Seeker mold legends, I was honestly looking into something similar to a Mini-Con port for them to attach to the outside of the shell, totally forgot that Boltax's art has them also storing inside the shell.

I do have a SDCC Cybertron Skywarp legend, but I'd want to get another to use for this...hell they even release Sunstorm as one of the legends as well.

I'll take a look around for even more options on him.

16. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    That's pretty cool, Overhaulimus.

I'm digging Boltax's designs as well.

17. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if there are miniature KOs of that megaplex mold? that would instantly solve that problem! I forget is there another legends starscream planned? Along with the new optimus and megatron?

18. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    yep a G1 Legends Screamer is planned.

As far as a mini KO Megaplex, I don't think there is.

19. Cybertronian

While y'all are working on these, could I get a little help with my "ROTF Alice from a 1989 Pincher" custom?

20. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hmm, Pretenders? I finished an Animated Bludgeon a while ago and just posted it...

At any rate, would like to get a Cloud/Bomb Burst going one of these days. That Air Raid is tempting.

And it's nigh impossible to make a pretender out of Tuner Mudflap... :lol