Let's talk hands

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Necare, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So we all have our own priorities when it comes to choosing toys, articulation, mold detail, character reference, price, etc...

One item that I find can slightly lift above or fall short of a figure reaching it's full potential has been the quality of the figures' hands or lack there of.

This subject is especially for those that pose or film or play with their figures. Without voice and mouth movement, hands can be a great substitute for displaying expressions. I find when a figure has a solid pair of hands that are articulated, that pushes the figure much higher for me.

How many times have we seen figures without proper hands at all, or with spikes, or simple fists or hands that cannot hold their own weapons etc.

I think hands can really help or hurt a figure's rating in my book. Take the new ROTF Leader prime, I mean he his a great figure, but no articulated hands? for a $45 toy? The last leader class figure had them, why not this one? Alternator hands are great! Masterpiece work real well. Even the small flip out fists on scout figures can be fine.

However, there doesn't seem to be a good reason to not put articulated hands on most figures now a days...the technology is there and the price point doesn't rise that much for assemble...in most cases due to hinges or ball joints it means less plastic than on a blocky fist.

Anyone else feel the same about hands?

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Meh. That's really all I can say about the subject.

They don't have articulated hands. Oh well.

I've seen plenty of pictures where the figures can express emotion without the use of hands.

3. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    but would the figure be better with articulated hands?

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I agree. I started a thread on the idea of having option hands like Revoltech stuff does. Didn't go down well. :(  I think articulated hands on larger figures would be excellent. Not sure how workable it would be on Deluxes and smaller.

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Has the fact that RotF Prime doesn't have articulated hands kept people from raving about him?

Better yet, does it even matter all that much?

EDIT: I agree with Sledge about larger figures should have articulated hands. Example: Armada Unicron, Cybertron Primus, Cybertron Metroplex, etc.

6. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    Even if articulated hands couldn't be implemented onto every toy I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for multiple sets of interchangeable hands like they do on 1/6 scale figures. Give us fists, open hands, and weapon holding hands.

7. Necare

Necare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think ROTF Leader Prime is Fantastic so i still rave about him, however there was no reason to not give him at least the same hands he had on the last prime, they are the same size and would be fine for transformation once folded into a fist.

8. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

^ This. At least for "collector's" toys. Most little kids don't want to fumble with seperate hand pieces and have them lying around every where.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only like articulated hands if said hand can actually function, accessory-wise.

Example, one of the main reasons I dislike the Masterpiece Optimus Prime mold (ZOMGWTFBBQ) is because he really cannot hold his blaster without it flopping around, and, many times, coming out of the hand itself.

It works well on figures like Animated Ultra Magnus, because there is extra support for the weapon.

10. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Supreme Starscream could have used articulated fingers, those were some huge fists

11. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    See, I like that idea. interchangeable Revoltech styled hands are good, if we can't get articulated fingers.

12. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Powermaster OP.
    His gun always flopped around in both the hasbro and takara versions

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Depends. If it's mostly my classics, then I prefer the fist holes since that's how the G1's had it almost all the time.

If it's my more expensive figures (we're talking Leader and up), then yeah I think articulated fingers should be an option. I know TF! Prime had articulated fingers, and ROTF Jetfire CAN have articulated fingers if you perform a slight mod.

14. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

It comes down to cost. If you look at some of the early photos of Leader Prime, he clearly has articulated hands. Unfortunately, it looks like the feature was cut from the final figure, mostly because making something that tiny and movable and easily breakable has to be a bit of a nightmare for HasTak.

Fortunately, this is why we have a modding community, to step up and make us some hands!

15. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

music label soundwave has extra hands. the problem is whenever i transform him to his cassette mode, i need to swap his pointy finger hand to his fist otherwise the wrist won't fold in.

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, not everything you're saying here is accurate. For animated Leader Megatron, he can only rotate his hands, just like ROTF Prime. Also, animated Magnus only has his four fingers on a hinge, which I would consider worse articulation then if the wrist could rotate. Same with Cybertron Leader Prime's hands. Now, don't get me wrong, I would like articulated fingers, but not at the cost of certain other things. ROTF Prime is arguably one of most complex Leader figures released, and I certainly think you get your money's worth- more so then almost any figure I have ever purchased. Personally, I think good ankle articulation is more important.