Let's Talk Graphics!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

We've all seen and love the graphics on the back of the G1 toy's boxes. The big battle between the Autobot's and the Decepticon's in space.
    Imagine if the cartoon series had that same look!

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Seeing as those were single, painted pieces, it probably wouldn't really work in an animation format. Maybe it could work better in a comic, though.

Also, those designs were horribly complex and toy-accurate to the point of lacking the necessary anthropomorphism to really get the characters across in an animated series, to say nothing of providing additional problems to the animation process. That's why they changed the designs for the show in the first place.

Still, it would be nice to see maybe a poster or something done in that style.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Would be funny, but not really usable for animation. Unless they want to go for paintings mixed with certain shaded 3d models...

When I look at the back of the G1 boxes though, I now have to think about the original Japanese Diaclone commercials. Try to find them on youtube, those are sweet!

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Would be funny, but not really usable for animation. Unless they want to go for paintings mixed with certain shaded 3d models...

When I look at the back of the G1 boxes though, I now have to think about the original Japanese Diaclone commercials. Try to find them on youtube, those are sweet!

5. Tigertrack

Double-posted, hehe!

I just think it would be cool if G1 series had an update. I always thought the drawings on the boxes were pretty awesome, especially Starscream who is in the process of transforming and appears to be firing at Optimus Prime. Only downside is, Prime look's a little lame. Starscream however, I think look's pretty awesome.

Somebody mentioned toy-accuracy? Primes gun look's too small, more like a pistol when his toy-gun look's more rifle like. Plus, when did Starscream have a hand-pistol as well?

What would G1 look like if done today?

6. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

Yu-gi-oh!

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Classics/Universe/Henkei/Generations

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Really looking forward to a cartoon series where one huge airbrushed robot fires lasers at a much smaller one that is half-transformed, while three more copies of him fly around space in the background. :) 

9. S.A.A.M.

S.A.A.M. Beta-Maximus

umm, Transformers Animated?

What would G1 look like if done tomorrow?

umm, Transformers: Prime?

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Whatever cartoon style is most popular with kids this day and age...

Similar to Spongebob or Anime...which of course weve gotten varying degrees of the latter. No wonder I can't stand any of the recent shows.

11. Tigertrack

Perhaps I'm dreaming but I'm thinking more computer-generated and realistically looking like Beast Machines/Wars than actual Tom/Jerry cartoon graphics.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So... the movies then?

13. Tigertrack

The movie "FEEL" yes, but G1 models, makes, appearances, etc'.

14. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I was one of those dang kids who grew up during the Beast Wars, so I'm used to getting a bio card. I really, really miss those :D 

15. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I've always wondered about that pistol that Prime was holding. My friend had one when I was a kid, it even had a autobot symbol on the side if I remember correctly. Yet aside from the toy and artwork, I don't recall it making any other appearances.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think this is really well said. I'll just add that one of the things that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE about the G1 boxes is the surrealism to the artwork. It's just odd in a way that works for the packages and a few other things. I think the artwork isn't pigeonholed into "having" to look a certain way other than being toy accurate. I was thrilled when character artwork returned to the boxes with Armada, but the comic-book style illustrations (while GREAT in some of them) didn't work well for me.

One of the things I have enjoyed with the RotF line (read: not movie 2007) is the head designs on the packages. Still, there hasn't been much that's captured my imagination and captivation like the G1 artwork has. Oddly enough, I still find myself doing this when I look at G1 package artwork.

I do think what the intent of the op hits on is what many of you have already been discussing is a media update that treats G1 ("Classics/Universe 2.0/Generations) well. A part of me would like to see it, only done right. Another part of me is fine with this portion of The Transformers not having media.

17. UKBrawn

UKBrawn No arms just CLAWS!!

I always liked that the ladybird books and a few others used the toy designs for their illustrations, these were pretty much the first Transformers Media I saw as a kid.

Id love the same artist from the box art to do a Classics scene.

18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

The artwork really elevated the G1 toys for me. It just added a realism to them. Some of my favourite pieces were Prowl, Landmine, Catilla, Megatron, Getaway, Pretender Starscream, Sinnertwin, Cutthroat, Rollbar, Snapdragon, the Firecons.

Check out this site:

Botch's Transformers Box Art Archive - 1987 Decepticons

19. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really miss those little red pieces of plastic used to read G1 tech specs. And I miss robot points.

20. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I love the back-of-box art and consider it highly under-rated.
    ( Its honestly the only reason I bought PM Prime, I was sold on the image before I even saw the toy).

The look of each 'mural' sold me on characters more than any cartoon, but I consider such epic battles out of the range of cartoons on a budget.