Let's talk about the engineering aspect

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mr.ToyFan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Mr.ToyFan

Mr.ToyFan Well-Known Member

I love what Japan's Takara is doing with the transformations. How they maintain a very "natural" bot and alt. mode. Let's talk about certain aspects of the engineering...what's your opinion?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO a good transformation doesn't have to be complicated or long, but fun and effective.

I mean, just look at Masterpiece Megatron, very clever and complex transformation but I'd rather transform Masterpiece Optimus simply because it requires less to get at a good shape.

3. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    Agreed. Sometimes a more intricate transformation which makes a very realistic alt mode isn't as cool because the robot mode suffers for it, or it just doesn't make it fun anymore.

I like transforming my guys back and forth a lot and if something is overly complicated I don't like transforming it much.

I like MP Megatron a lot but sometimes less is more.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Though I agree that even a simple transformation (so long as it is done effectively) can be quite fun (I mean look at...shit, all of Animated), I get more fun out of the more complicated transformations. That's probably why Masterpiece Megatron is my single favorite TF of any I own.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I don'tlike overly complex transformations either. As long as it is a "fun" transformation it is a good one. Look at Animated Megs. Easy as pie but, very effective. Alternators, while very good looking, were a little complicated to "play" with.

For whatever reason, I am drawn to panel/shell-formers. Universe Inferno, Big Convoy, Break, SWTF Death Star.

6. Mr.ToyFan

I agree. I was excited about getting MP Megs for one reason, well, one main reason...the transformation.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I like simple transformations best. more fun to tinker around with, and more fun for the kids.

unboxing and transforming my entire alternator collection (21 figures)for display was HELL. I never want to do it again, although I will, because I'm stupid like that. it's not that they're hard to transform, its just that they take so damn long to transform. if you cant casually transform a figure in less than 3 minutes, something is seriously wrong with the design.

I can transform my entire classics, cybertron, and energon collections combined in less time.

but I do like complex transformations. just not ones that require scheduling the transformation ahead of time. Animated Safeguard, Blurr, and Shockwave are all fairly complex designs, but fun and quick to transform. Shockwave alone deserves a hell of a lot of love because he packs in two great robot modes, and two convincing vehicle modes.

My favorite complex transformer ever is masterpiece starscream. that is a sexy design. transformation isnt complicated, but it's amazing that the jet mode actually transforms into that robot mode. they're both sleek as hell, and amazingly solid. starscream in jet mode does not look like a toy, much less one that transforms.

8. Mr.ToyFan

No but seriously, ever since the Takara/Hasblow Classic line hit. I've been shocked at how cool the engineering has been. I have owned my classics for about 2 yrs now, and I still enjoy trnsfrmg my Classic Optimus, no matter how easy the trnsfrmtn is, it still is an awesome figure (tryin to find a way to put smoke stacks that won't intefere with trnsfrmtn.)

9. Omegaplex

Omegaplex Nexus Resident

I agree Classics Optimus' is a sight to behold. I recently acquired Classics Hound and was amazed at the leg transformation! Truly a marvel!

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I think the movie line (soon to be lines, I guess) impresses me the most. Most of the figures I can't just look at both modes and say, "Oh, I see how they did that." It's hard to go back and look at the figures I have now, though, and say that since I know them so well, but I think Ironhide is a good example of it. Sure, you can see Topkick pieces on his bot mode, but it's pretty hard to see how they all end up fitting together to make that robot a pickup truck. Likewise, it's kinda hard to look at that pickup and see how that robot came out of that truck. That's one of my favorite parts about the movie line.

Of course, I also love the more "traditional" lines (I use that term loosely) like Universe, Cybertron, G1, etc, that use the vehicle parts to make bot mode parts... G1 Jazz, for example, using large chunks of the car to form his chest and legs, or Classics Bumblebee with car parks forming his legs and feet, and the roof being his chest... that's more the car becoming the robot, as opposed to the movie line kinda being more the robot being hidden somewhere in the vehicle.

I don't know if I'm explaining it too well... I'm tired and have been drinkin'. :p  It's kinda hard to get across what I want to say. Maybe someone will understand what I mean! :lol 

Of course, I can't neglect to mention BT/Alternators. I remember showing my brother one once (and he's not a fan, but he appreciates cool stuff), and after transforming one (I think it was Silverstreak), he says simply, "Dude, that was AWESOME!" Well, turning what looks like a model car into a robot with all that articulation? Hell, be a fan or not, that's something pretty impressive right there if you ask me.

11. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:

not to be a stickler, but aesthetic is not an adjective. I normally wouldn't point that out, but it prevents me in this case from understanding what about the bot/alt modes you're talking about. Athletic is an adjective, but aesthetic is a noun. i mean, i get that you're impressed with the level of ingenuity being demonstrated here. (as am i).

but just curious was there anything more specific you were trying to say, or was that it? not to be a smartass or anything.

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

In general, and looking at the progress they've made between G1 and the present line(s), the engineering has really come a long way. In the past, there were good examples of durability, poseability, pleasing aesthetics and efficient transformation sequences...but not necessarily in one figure. As the engineering has progressed, I think the designers have become much more adept at combining all of these aspects to a greater degree into each figure. While I am aware that there are exceptions, I feel that the engineering has grown by by leaps and bounds to become what it is today.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

One of the coolest transformations in my opinion is Universe Cyclonus. He manages to keep a close match to his G1 self in alt mode and yet through a really intregueing transformation process (you unfold his legs and then re-assemble them below the knee instead of simply pulling down for starters) he becomes a more accurate G1 bot than his original toy.

Alternators is cool, but the transformations are a little overly complicated, and for acurate alt modes the bot mode suffers (Alt. Hound/Swindle/Rollbar all have empty spaces in the upper body, and the corvette mold looks way to thin if one looks at it from the side.).

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO I like it when they take something simple and really polish it and make it special

look at universe inferno its a simple idea but its all those little bits that make him cool like his feet and those shoulder pads, they make him fun to play with even ifs its a bit simple

I don't think the complexity of MP megs is what makes him such a pain its that it feels like it could break due to its fragile design

15. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You know I just pulled my MP Megs back out of his box (packed him up and brought him with me when I had to evac when those fires hit SoCal a couple months ago) and he just blew me away all over again. Haven't transformed him yet (for obvious reasons, especially since I had to fix him a while back after the plastic the barrel slides along broke at the end), but just looking at him, posing him...just incredible.

And I have to agree that the complexity of Megs really isn't the bad thing, he just doesn't feel like something you should handle too much, and I don't like that feeling of potentially breaking something I paid $90 for.

16. Mr.ToyFan

I was thinking about the science/philosophy behind it all....

17. Mr.ToyFan

Smart-ass

18. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Hasblow? really? come on?

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, just giot a real good example of what I dig.

Saw the new movie Constructicon? Yeah, I love the way that he transforms VERY unlikely any other bots, specially the thread-morph into wheels, IMO stuff like that beats the crap out of "no brainers" such as HOOD OF CARS BECOMES CHEST ROOF BECOMES BACK or "the Optimus transformation".

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Is Mr.ToyFan having an argument with himself? :confused: 

I'd have to argue against MP Megs being a great piece of engineering. Any Transformer that you're afraid to transform in case it breaks is not well engineered. MP Prime on the other hand... two thumbs up.