Let's talk about...Super-God Masterforce

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It didn't completely cater to kids... that's why it scores several points.

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't get revealed CLEARLY until the post-series wrap-up, but yeah:

Black-Zarak is the slightly-smaller super-dense rebuilt-zombie-doppleganger Devil-Z vessel built from the remains of Mega-Zarak

Grand is Fortress's brother (And I'm convicted to the notion that Brave is the third brother ;) )

Oh and Ginri's transector looks like Prime because it was originally constructed to give Convoy a body in case he came back from the dead (Which, really, is a contingency plan you'd expect in Convoy's case ;) )

Devil-Z isn't really explained very clearly that I can recall, he's just an evil demon dude :) 

D/L
    *Who's sure someone is gonna recall Devil-Z's gig and call me out ;) *

3. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

it's possible he might very well be a disembodied ex servant of unicron

its possible devilz might very well be unicrons spark or rather a portion of it

orit might very well be starscreams mutant spark in a entirely new form

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I have to admit...King Poseidon was useless...

5. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Well, gonna have to visit YouTube this weekend and check this out.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i only have access to the uk dubs which like the one done on headmasters, is god awful.

7. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Masterfoce...damn..that bought back sweet memories. It was shown in my country every Saturday morning. My stupid school that time set up extra-curricular activities and we all had to attend or face detention.

Detention was a weekly affair for me, but I was sooo worth it. :D  :D 

8. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Just finished the show. What is the post series wrap up called? I could kinda maybe see the Unicron approach to Devil Z with the way he reformatted Hydra and Buster, but I dunno. That really wasn't explained at all. But I really really enjoyed that series. Guess it's time to watch Victory now, then Zero. What would be the next Japanese series after that? Machine Wars? Beast Wars Neo?

9. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The next series you have to watch is Victory. After that, there's no more animation but the OVA of Transformers Zone, and the the story continues in the pages of TV Magazines as Battlestars: Rerturn of Convoy and Operation Combination. This last one is kind of an episode during Battlestars.

10. Optimus_Khan

Optimus_Khan Well-Known Member

I love that show. It's a very fun show with great characterization and moments. The only negative I'd say is that I didn't care for the very very end of the show when the now sentient Cybertron just quickly say good bye then up and leave the earth.

Not enough of a proper closure between the humans and the Cybertron. Besides that it was a fun show. It is my favorite G1 show. I've always liked humans in my TF shows but it's a fine line. It can be a good thing like it is in MF and Super Link but really bad and annoying like Galaxy Force.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Yea, I didn't like how abrupt the ending was with the humans losing their transectors. I think they were a little too happy and accepting of that. It kind of (but not really) felt like that episode of the Simpsons when Poochie suddenly had to go to his home planet before being killed off.

12. mugen_prime

I know that's the end of the G1 stuff, but was wondering what the next animated series to come after Zone would be.

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That would be Beast Wars II, followed by Beast Wars Neo.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Didn't fancy Masterforce to begin with because of the kids being so central to the episodes, but it quickly gets better as other characters are intoduced.

And the desert fight between Overlord and Ginrai (whichever version he was at the time) is one to almost rival the Optimus and Megatron fight in the 1986 movie.

15. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

^That fight was epic. So was the showdown on the moon. God, this series is so great. Oh, and Sixknight is awesome, no matter what anyone says.

16. mugen_prime

It really did have some awesome epic battles in it. It was awesome. The kids sorta bugged me a little at first too, but like Gingerchris said it soon gets much better. About the only thing I really didn't like all the way through the series, was the super obnoxious seacons. I HATE the seacons, they were so annoying. But aside from them it really was a great series, definitely one of the best TF series.

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    This thread made me go start watching it again.

It's ace :D 

18. Obi

Obi rhymes with epididymus

I really liked the first half, and overall I would say it's the best of the original Japanese G1 shows. But I feel like there was a lot of wasted potential - we hardly ever got to see what Phoenix was doing, for example, and they could have explored the idea of the Autobot Pretenders blending into human society a lot more. Aside from some cutaways to Lander being with some new woman, they rarely showed the Autobot Pretenders doing anything outside of working on missions.

Also, I feel like the show dropped off in quality a lot about midway through. I just got so sick of seeing the Decepticons try to kill Ginrai or Godbomber episode after episode after episode. It went from being a show about a team to the God Ginrai show and rarely let up. I really liked it when they stopped focusing on him and had episodes that revolved around other characters, like Cancer's episode where he tries to stop Overlord from destroying his village in China, for example. And Ginrai pretty quickly shifted from being an independent, almost Yusuke Urameshi-type character to your typical Japanese Autobot leader. By the end of it, he's really quite indistinguishable from Star Saber.

19. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Masterforce is my favorite G1 series, with Headmasters coming a close second. Primarily because it was the first Transformers cartoon to feature many of the characters whom I had toys of. I had many a dream of being a TF's Master partner.

20. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I agree about the Pretenders pretty much taking a backseat once Ginrai and the other Godmasters were established. Phoenix was especially useless. And the Destron Pretenders only served the purpose of comedy relief as the series progressed.

I was more disappointed with the Seacons getting blown up each time they formed King Poseidon.

Considering this was 21 years ago, during the 1980's when cartoon storylines were still widely redundant and formulaic, I'd say the whole notion of trying to kill Ginrai over and over again can be forgiven. Had this show come out just a few years ago, not so much.

I think we got to see Ginrai grow as a leader. He was very independent early on and still defered to Metalhawk even when the latter had asked him to become the Autobot Supreme Commander.