Let's talk about...Super-God Masterforce

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I just finished this series and I have to say that it's my favorite out of all the TF animated shows I've ever seen. I don't know what it is: it could be the interesting concepts of pretenders, headmaster juniors, and godmasters. It could also be the fact that this is really the only series where the humans aren't worthless and annoying like those damn weiner kids from Armada.

I loved everything about it. The animation still holds up 20 years later and the character designs were some of the best I've seen (notably Metalhawk, the Hydra Bros, Overlord, God Ginrai, and King Poseidon). It was a little depressing seeing the humans lose their transectors in the end.

I've been watching Victory since then and it's hard for me to enjoy it as much as I have the former. The character formula in Victory seemed to take a step back, especially since Jan fit into the worthless and annoying human archetype common in most of the series (I'm only 14 episodes into Victory so my opinion may change).

So what does everyone else think of Masterforce? Is it your favorite of the G1 animes?

2. Primus00

Primus00 Creator

Well, Transformers series during that time was awesome. Kind of like Brave series. The series of this decade seem to be well weak. I'm hoping the next series will improve.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too right, it's my favourite! Masterforce is the proverbial dog's knackers. It's just so unique. I, too, had the same problem going into Victory after watching it.

4. Satomiblood

^ Are you the guy that ilovemess repeatedly refers to in his video reviews?

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yessir, that's me! :) 

6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Just curious where you found the series and if it's good quality. I've been wanting to check this out for a while but can't find any region-free, decent copies.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I love Masterforce, I like Victory more. But Masterforce is hella good.

8. Satomiblood

I found it on Youtube.

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm kind of in the situation that the OP's in in that I finished it a little while ago & am now on Victory, however I'm enjoying Victory more thanks to the Dinoforce and a return to something a little more mainstream. But yeah, Masterforce is a damn good series and has awesome characters.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Masterforce is easily my personal favorite of the Japanese cartoons.
    That's certainly part of it... from my perspective, in no other series has there been as good of a balance between robots and humans.

Characters are great. Man, I'm going to have to rewatch it!

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think I prefer Victory slightly more, likely due to the better toys and the characters, especially the Dinoforce and Hellbat. But as far as humans in a show, Ginrai is about as useful as it gets!

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Glad you got seduced by Masterforce! I think it is by far the strongest of the G1 JTF shows. It's also by far the most "Anime Super Robot" esque of certainly the classic shows, if not of all TF shows, so that turns off a lot of fans, but that's their loss.

It's available with OK subs and terrible Dubs in an non-region-coded UK DVD set as well, I own that version as well as the original Japanese DVDs, and I think a complete set of fan-subs that Hydra worked on.

D/L

13. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Toei made all japanese tf series - i love master force series

14. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Just watched the 1st episode on youtube and I could definately see this being a favorite series. Where did you find your copies? Are they worth buying or should I just stick to watching online?

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

it's been hard for me to get thru the series to be honest. i see the pretenders more as humans than robots. and i'm not really feeling the whole bit about the transformers being lifeless droids that the humans use to drive/combine with. i'm a little thru half the series, but haven't picked it up in almost a year.

16. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    animation quality I really dont think theirs a better 2d show. I'm not keen on the head master Jr or power master concepts but saying that Ginrai is a cool character. Also (spoilers) by the end of the series my issues do kinda get addressed

17. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Master Force. The puppy kicking, dying horse, and God dammits were awesome. Powermaster Prime was the shiznit.

18. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I would definitely try to get a real set, or at least find a torrent of the high quality fan-subs

I got my Japanese set via cdjapan.com, and the UK set via amazon.uk, the Japanese set was very expensive even on its first issue (As Japanese DVDs usually are, due to their different licencing structure), and is undoubtedly long since sold-out. The UK version might still be available, but I haven't checked, but they were originally like $30 for the whole series, so even if they've gone up on the secondary market, I'd be they're still reasonable.

I'll admit there is a LOT of crazy stuff in the series, which (and I can't tell which side you're coming down on) could be considered a cool thing. However- IT'S GINRI DAMNIT! :p 

I cannot stress strongly enough NOT to watch the dubs. I think a lot of the current generation of fans got introduced to the series (and Headmasters, and Victory) via the UK DVDs. And I'm betting a lot of them watched the English-dubs.

But the English dubs were sloppy, non-faithful, and never intended for a Western audience. All three series get a lot of crap and get dismissed these days, and I think it's LARGELY on the basis of the dubs (which are unwatchably bad).

D/L

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Masterforce is the only japanese only series i have watched most off (stopped watching when god ginrai armor was almost built, i know a crime, idk what stopped me) and i got to say it is frickin amazing....made me love pretenders and i will own a metalhawk someday.....ugh i liked everything about it

i watched the subs on youtube and loved it

20. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I'm up to episode 38 right now. I have to say... for some reason I really love the series. It's hard for me to consider it to be true Transformers due to way too much human invovment, and as someone mentioned, the fact that most of the transformers are basically drones that are piloted by humans. It's more like Diaclone kind of in that sense.

I also tend to view the pretenders more as humans. Kinda ironic though that in this series the humans are much more usefull than most series, while the ACTUAL transformers are kinda more useless. The pretenders barely seem to do much to contribute.

But Ginrai is pretty freakin cool! Especially combined with Godbomber. It's too bad the powermaster prime/God Ginrai toy doesn't look anywhere near as cool as the animation. The animation in this series is much better than Headmasters and the 4 seasons of G1. It's actually really well done.

I do wish there was a bit more of a connection to the previous series, though I haven't finished it yet so maybe there is more to come. Chromedome made a very brief appearance early on. I dunno if Black Zarak is an upgraded Zarak? Or if Grand Maximus is an upgraded Fortress Maximus? I have no idea who this Emperor Devil Z is. But I'm hoping all will be revealed by the end. But So far I really really enjoy it for what it is.