Let's talk about LEGO.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by llamatron, Jul 18, 2007.

1. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    About 2 weeks ago my housemate bought a new LEGO castle on impulse because it was on sale. The week after we went back and got some more new castle sets. They are pretty damn good and it prompted us to go get all our old LEGO out. So I've spent the last few nights building up all my pirate, castle and western sets. It's made me remember how totally awesome LEGO is and I've started hunting around ebay to see how much stuff goes for these days. I know the last thing I need is to buy more toys, but damn, it's just so awesome.

So come on peeps, let's have a bit of a chat about lego. I'll start. Pirates - totally awesome? I never had any of the boats as a kid but I really want to get one now. The problem is they seem pretty expensive and there's lots of them out there. Can anyone recommend a particular model?

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Please don't start threads like this, they make me cry myself to bed every time.

3. llamatron

News Credits:
    Ok, what sort of threads would you like me to start?

4. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    :useless 
    I want to see your creations! :) 

Ahh, Legos... so many fond memories. Growing up in the age of Star Trek and Transformers led to the creations of many (poorly designed) Lego starships and robots.

But the only Lego I see nowadays are those licensed ones: Star Wars, Ferrari and what not. I didn't know how Lego pieces from those could be used to craft my own creations, so Lego was eventually forgotten (well that and video gaming suddenly became hip).

There's also Lego Mindstorm, which features a programmable A.I. that one could potentially craft into a relatively complex robot made from Lego bits. But for $250...ouch.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Oh, start whatever kind you like. It's just I felt a sting for my childhood for a moment. Castles and pirates were also my most favorite LEGO sets.

I totally agree. I remember I always first assembled the set following instructions, to see the general layout and how stuff work, but then I always started building my one creations, different kinds of castles, utilising all of my lego bricks.

6. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Old Lego Technic was the shit.

Plus I enjoyed the old castle themes. I still have my Black Monarch Castle.

7. llamatron

News Credits:
    Oh, cool, awesome. Yeah I agree that Pirate and Castle are the best. The space stuff is ok too. Never really got into Technic much though.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lego frickin rules, i had shitloads as a kid. being in the creative field now, i can safely say lego informed my creativity during formative years.

the best thing abt them growing up was that they made great substitute for toys you didnt have. i made a the real ghostbuster set and a sky commander set. only thing with sky commander if the hook fails lego sky commanders go boom.

9. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Old School Lego Castle & Space was the Shizz-NYTE. I also had the old 80s Airport, which is smaller then todays but seemed plenty big to me at the time. Had a ball putting that together. I've since given my Legos away to the neighbor kids during my tween years, dumb decision that was.

I've picked up a couple of current sets but slowed down once the TF movie toys hit. The new Castle sets are tempting, but I'm resisting so far. The new Mission to Mars, which I should be all over like Kelly Ozzbourne on a raw bar, stink on ice IMO.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    <--still builds legos...

I'm going to have to get on my imageshack account when I get home and put up some pics of the city I've got going right now; I used to have a really ridiculous 8' x 4' city in the main basement, but I decided to consolidate the whole thing down to something more manageable.

I've always loved Lego town and Lego space. Those were my absolute favorites.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I loved the space Legos as a kid. I still think of the Blacktron 1 and 2/M-Tron/Space Police 1 and 2 era as the golden age of space Legos.

As far as current stuff goes, I really got into the Batman kits that were released last year. I currently have the Batcave set on top of my dresser.

12. llamatron

News Credits:
    Is the Batman stuff any good? I'll admit they look damn tempting.

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My kids do the same, they build all sorts of SW vehicles to put their Saga figures in and build balsters with bigger blocks. Saves me lots of money, yes.

14. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    ...Lars-Erik, is that you? ( :lol  )

Just kidding, but that júst reminded me of my old teacher while I was in
    first->third class, he also had a huge lego city in his basement.

But yeah, LEGO is awesome. Whe I', finnished remodelling my room I might have to pull out the three big boxes I have from the closet and actually build something :p 

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    When my fiance and I get our house together, I want to cover at least one wall of my children's play area with lego panels.

16. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Batman stuff's pretty cool. Most of the stuff is pretty sturdy and with a lot of bells and whistles, especially the Batcave (though, it's not horribly sturdy but it's a playset so that's a given). A lot of it's being marked down and clearanced nowadays, so that's more of an incentive.

Back in the day, my personal faves were the Robin Hood-esque sets. I don't remember any set numbers but they had neat little traps and hidden areas and such. the Magnatron(?) space sets were pretty cool too.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    PIRATE, WESTERN, CASTLE, BATMAN AND STAR WARS LEGO ALL SUCK!!

Gimme generic 'space' lego any day of the week. Who the hell wants to be TOLD what you're supposed to make with lego? That totally defeats the purpose.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Well...I can't entirely agree with that. I did like the Star Wars legos because they gave us a lot of neat, vehicle-specific parts. Making endless variations of the TIE fighter is a lot of fun.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I do, at least with the Star Wars sets like OWAT said. My very favorite sets are the HUGE Star wars kits, I look at them like they are models.

For large/expert sets, I have the AT/ST, the AT/AT, and the snowspeeder. I've calmed down with them in recent years, but the Death Star has been taunting me lately.

I also love exoforce, I buy up all the mechs and display them as-is.

20. ministargazer

ministargazer Well-Known Member

during the Robin Hood/castles era I had all but two sets that were out at one point, At the time I had bunk beds in my room and the lower bunk was panelled over and I had various battle scenarios set up.

The technic lego on it's own was a bit naff but if you added it to the space stuff and regular bricks you could make some awesome connecting models/robots. The one I was most proud of back then was a stunticon combiner type transformer ( was probably really naff back then, but when I was 10 years old it rocked )

I still have it all in my loft and get it out once a year for a good play.

and I'm tempted right now ( i might not be back on for a few days)