Let's Talk About Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Dr Kain, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I picked up the Blu-Ray set the other day and we spent yesterday and today watching all four movies. Man do I love this series. I saw Raiders in the IMAX two weeks ago, which was my first time ever seeing it in theaters, and even though I had seen it a thousand times on VHS and DVD, I still felt like I truly saw it for the first time. It is just an amazing masterpiece of a movie. I could spend hours typing everything I love about it, but I won't.

Temple of Doom is a good movie, but I feel it is the weakest of the original trilogy. The older I get, the more I see wrong with it, most of it dealing with Willie. Every time she is on screen I keep hoping she is going to die because she is so freaking annoying. Nevertheless, the set pieces are excellent and I love the entire finale over the bridge and on the mine carts.

My second favorite of the series goes to The Last Crusade, which is just a non stop ride. Sean Connery is freaking hysterical here. The movie is almost as good as Raiders, has a lot of great humor that does not feel out of place, and the music is incredible.

Finally, we come to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and honestly, I do not think it is THAT bad of a movie. It isn't very good, but it isn't terrible either. I do hate everything about Shia and his character, but I feel the chemisty between Indiana and Marion is still great, and the opening scene in the warehouse is pretty awesome. Yeah, the alien plot is kind of weak, but it works given that aliens were a big obsession of the 50s while the occult was huge in the 30s. However, I feel that the occult plots work better because of the mythology and mysticism behind their origins, while an alien plot has none of that.

All in all though, this is a great adventure series and I want to know your thoughts. In fact, I bought a frame yesterday and put this together using my IMAX poster and the lithographs that came with my BD set.

[​IMG]

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yeah im sad that i missed Raiders in imax. i wish it was there longer!

but im really wanting to pick up the set. its been FOREVER since i seen all these movies!
    gotta save me up some moneys

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Crystal Skull is Citizen Kane compared to Temple of Doom.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No Crystal Skull lithograph comes with the set? Cool display but its strange having the centeral poster there again on the side leaving out one of the movies.

5. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would be pretty good if it wasn't for Cate Blanchett's terrible performance as a villain.

Also the bike chase at the university > the CG heavy jungle chase.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I love Raiders. But Crusade is, for me, the best one.
    Ive seen Temple maybe twice over the course of my life and all I really remember is that I have no interest in seeing it again.
    Crystal Skull isn't as blasphemous and terrible as people make it out to be. And I dont really mind it. But it just doesnt compare.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i liked crystal skulls too. if not just for letting me know what indy was up to during ww2 and what not.

how ever with that said... it did have expedition dialog that had him apart of the OSS and spying on nazi's... which did sound like a better movie.

where is THAT indiana Jones movie? i want more indiana fighting nazi's! not russians! :lol 

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I love Raiders. It's the best all-around movie of the series, imo. Best written, best action, best human drama/love interest.

The others, I don't really care about. I might have liked Temple if the female lead wasn't so shrill and irritating. Crusade was fun but kind of substanceless, like cinematic cotton candy. Fluffy and evaporates immediately. Great chemistry between Ford and Connery, but I didn't like that there wasn't a love interest for Indy.

Crystal Skull, what can I say? I liked them setting the story later, daring to let the characters age, and bringing back Marion. It always bothered me in Crusade that Indy hadn't stayed with her. And I didn't mind the alien thing, as that was perfect 1950s pulp material, just like Nazis and thuggee cults were perfect 1940s pulp material. So in those ways, I may actually like Skull more than Temple or Crusade. But it's not great by any stretch. None of them are, except for Raiders, imo.

No, wait a minute. Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was cool, too. I like that tv show better than Temple, Crusade or Skull, as well. I'd like to buy the tv show box sets at some point.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll admit it, the alien thing actually didn't bother me about Crystal Skull the way it bothered so many other people. As far as I'm concerned, if the first three movies can be anchored in fantastical spirits that melt faces, can be invoked or give eternal life, then the last movie could have alien sci-fi. The reason I hated the movie simply because it was just bad. I didn't like the cast, I hated the what felt like an hour long CGI forest swash buckling fight that just got stupidly absurd within 5 minutes, and I resented how phoned in the whole thing felt solely for the sake of squeezing a new fourth movie.

The Last Crusade will always be my favorite. It just had the pacing, action, wit, etc. that resonated best with me. Plus, I loved the Ford/Connery dynamic. Raiders is a close second for all the obvious reasons, and Temple of Doom is a distant third. Never really liked it, specifically because of the main chick, the annoying kid sidekick schtick, and the general tone of the movie. Compared to the first & third, it felt out of left field.

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

No, there is a lithograph for Crystal Skull, but I couldn't fit it in the frame and I don't care about the movie enough to care about the lithograph being on display. I mean, honestly, while the fourth may not be a terrible movie, there really are only three Indiana Jones movies. The fourth one is more like someone's fanfiction that got made.

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoy Raiders tremendously and think it is the best out of the four. I hope they release the movies individually on Blu Ray since I have no desire to own the other ones.

12. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Riaders is easily the best, with the others varying from good (Crusade, Skull) to flat-out awful (Temple of Doom).

God, I HATE Temple of Doom. The only reason that piece of shit gets by when Crystal Skull got torn apart by George Lucas' "fans" is because of nostalgia goggles.

If you can't tell, I really hate so-called George Lucas "fans."

13. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I liked Temple of Doom.

Short Round was awesome, and Indy saving a village instead of the world, is a bit different. Best supporting cast member: The Elephant :lol 

Regardless, they all had great laughs.

14. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Raiders and Last Crusade are masterpieces. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is decent, and way better than lots of people seem to think. Temple is the least good, but it's still not bad by any means (I love Short Round).

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I will always like The Last Crusade the most by far, and second being Raiders. Temple of Doom had some good scenes and action but the overall plot wasn't as fun and the side characters weren't endearing. Crystal Skull had some horrible, horrible scenes, but was still a fun movie to watch, maybe more so then Temple.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Crusade is my favourite. Also I like the Nuke the Fridge scene it's Shia Laboeuf who ruins the movie.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Man, Indiana Jones is awesome. Just flat-out awesome. If I had to rate them, it'd be like so:

1.) Raiders
    2.) Crusade
    3.) KotCS
    4.) ToD

I enjoyed KotCS, and am usually the first among my friends when someone brings up the "it sucked because aliens!"-argument. :rolleyes: 

Also, I need to get the franchise on Blu-Ray. Now.

18. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i'm not a fan

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

My mom's a IJ nut, so I'm familiar with the movies and I gotta say I like Crusade the best, with Raiders a close second. ToD was alright, although I personally think Indy works best without a partner myself.

And as for KotCS, my main problem with it is pretty much the fact it's aliens, but not at face value. As others have said, it's hypocritical to not like a movie for one outlandish fantasy element when the past three movies involved a magic box that melted faces, the actual Holy Grail, and the heart-removal scene that gave birth to the PG-13 rating because they victim didn't immediately die. The problem is that by taking the aliens route, it completely invalidates the feeling almost every IJ story has. Name any other IJ adventure, and it will involve some mystical artifact or power that clearly is powered by a supernatural force/deity and can not be fully explained by conventional science. Even the Disney ride; Temple of the Forbidden Eye, keeps to this rule. But KotCS looses the mystical aspect BY giving it an actual reason for why all that stuff happened, because super-advanced aliens who taught prehistoric man everything they needed to establish civilization, and the titular object is nothing more than some poor chump's head.

And then ironically, the entire end sequence ISN'T explained when all the other adventures are within the context of the McGuffin, as the aliens somehow resurrect themselves, set the Russian chick's mind on fire, and then destroy all the evidence they even existed before just leaving, the only suggestion as to their destination coming from the formerly crazy guy who just says "the space between spaces". Yeah, that answers all the gaping questions that just got spontaneously created. I don't even remember what the Russian chick was even planning, really.

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My first IJ experience was going to see ToD with my dad when I was a kid. I finally got to see RotLA on the big screen about 9 or so years ago, It was like seeing it for the first time. I am lucky enough to have a local theater house that plays old movies during the summer time. I even saw my first silent movie there.

As for my ranking:
    RotLA
    Crusade (was working at the theater when this came out. I saw it repeatedly.)
    ToD
    KotCS (I didn't care for the groundhogs and monkeys)