Let's Talk About Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TF Ultra Prime, Apr 14, 2010.

1. TF Ultra Prime

TF Ultra Prime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hot Rod will forever be my favorite Transformer. I liked his bravado, his confidence...sometime arrogance, his love for Daniel, and his thirst for improvement.

Though, I think many would disagree with me. Many downright hate Hot Rod. Why? I know he was responsible for the death of OP. But it wasnt his intention. He lived up to his name and yes, it got Prime killed. But he was also instrumental in bringing Prime back to life and later in Headmasters, it was OP who once again bestowed the matrix to Hot Rod.

As Rodimus Prime, it seemed like he lost his iron will and confidence. When it was time for him to lead, he leaned on Ultra Magnus and questioned almost every decision he made. He constantly compared himself to OP and felt he wasnt living up to Prime. The glimpses we did see of Rodimus being confident quickly turned into cockyness and anger. He would snap at other Autobots or do things recklessly, that as Hot Rod was one thing, but as the Autobot leader should not have been done. I almost feel Rodimus and Hot Rod were 2 different people. It seemed like Rodimus was haunted deep down inside.

The episode that most demonstrates this inner turmoil the most and is a personal favorite of mine is The Burden Hardest To Bear. When Rodimus loses the Matrix, he seems to not revert back to Hot Rod, but to a reckless and careless version of Rodimus. Yes, the weight had been lifted. But every other autobot seemed to understand the importance of the matrix. Hell, how can he be fit to be leader if at any point he would think the matrix being in the decepticon hands was ok.

I would love to hear other's opinions, feelings and whether or not they liked Hot Rod and whether they see the 2 different people of Hot Rod and Rodimus as well.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I <3 him. He needs more love, poor guy, everyone is forever hating on him.

3. Swiftcat Prime

Swiftcat Prime Good always triumphs!

I like him when he was Hot Rod. I have to agree he changed so much when he became Rodimus it was like he was a new character. I missed that bot that believed they could win when everything looked hopeless (Transformers: The Movie). Starting out he had good qualities like you said he loved Daniel and he didn't give up. Rodimus left me feeling sorry for him and I wish his cockiness would return. He did nothing but doubt himself, all I think was "Poor guy".

4. Swiftcat Prime

Swiftcat Prime Good always triumphs!

I agree with you!

5. TF Ultra Prime

Ebay:
    Yeah, Movie Hot Rod trumps all other Hot Rod's. And even when Optimus came back, Hot Rod seemed like such a behind the scenes character.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was only familiar with Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime from the '86 movie while I was growing up. It wouldn't be until well over a year ago, when Shout Factory released the entire G1 series onto DVD, that I saw what he was like in the 3rd season.

Still, I think of him as a cool character. True, not many people like him, they always blame him for playing a role in Optimus's death or they complain how "emo" he was in the 3rd season, but I see him as a cool character that had great potential and would like to see more of him in future TF series.

Really wished we saw more of him in Animated. Man, did he look just as cool as he was in G1.

7. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Are you afraid of the dark?

I second the like for Hot Rod, because he's a turbo-revin' young punk. Unfortunately, he wasn't so likable as Rodimus Prime. It's goo to have a leader with flaws, but he was too flawed and unlikable, just as OP was too perfect and unrelatable. Personally, I think they should have made Kup a Prime :p 

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having only watched the 1986 movie and not season 3, I probably cannot be the best judge of character, but I do like Rodimus a whole lot. The whole, destined to be Prime is really cool, and the fact that he isn't super-perfect like Optimus is a nice touch (same reason why I like Animated Optimus so much).

However I was a bit disappointed he became a jerk in IDW's recent comics. What do you guys think of that?

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Haven't read any of IDW's latest comics... I'm still trying to catch up on all of IDW's comics.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Season 3 killed everything good established about Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime in the movie.

Overall though, it's ultimately the fans' fault that Rodimus is considered such a failure as Autobot leader. If it wasn't for all the bitching and complaining, he (hopefully) would have gotten a fair shake at proving exactly why he's "the chosen one" instead of being "the momentary one."

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I prefer him as whiny Rodimus Prime.
    I think Ultra Magnus really should have been in charge and made a better leader instead of Roddy in Optimus absense BUT I like the inner turmoil Rodimus goes through.
    There can't be many cartoons where the leader and main hero of the 'good guys' lacks confidence and snaps at the men under his command, that made him intresting to me.
    I just wish they wouldn't have let his personality go back to pre-Rodimus Hot Rod when he lost the matrix, they nullified his character-arc when they did that, such a shame.

12. TF Ultra Prime

Ebay:
    I love the IDW series. I dont think he is a jerk in the series. I think he just feels the war is over and that there is no need to be on different sides. OP left the autobots and Hot Rod is leading a group that doesnt want to fight anymore and has paired up with Decepticons who feel the same way. Now they are ready to return home to cybertron.

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I think it was said in one of the commentaries on the 25th Anniversary DVD that the writers wanted to see how it would work with a "failure of an Autobot leader"... kinda like how Galvatron was more of an insane tyrant rather than a leader for the Decepticons.

I can see why people don't like either of them, but I feel like Rodimus Prime (and Galvatron, though he's not the focus of this topic) was a more interesting character than Optimus, and I like how it lead to more interaction with other characters - his self-doubt lead to more characterization of his "advisers" (for lack of a better term), whereas with Optimus, the orders were followed without question, and other characters' opinions were not often a factor.

I loved Hot Rod, too. His stereotype lived on (Cheetor, Sideburn, Hot Shot), but I don't think any of them really worked as well as Hot Rod did... well, except maybe Cheetor. He was so much more successful in Beast Machines than Hot Rod/Rodimus was in Season 3. Even after Primal took command back, he was more of a second commander, more than a second-in-command.

14. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Somebody said Rodimus!?

Ah Rodimus........ the chosen one. Oh to list the many ways I love him. I can understand the hate, but don't hate on his leadership, all the reasons one loved Optimal Primal is why to love Rodimus.

I can talk about this till I am blue in the face.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    He's a traitor. Try him for treason.

16. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    i wish people Would stop hating him, :( ,

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a Decepticon fan, I hated both Primes equally and thought Jazz would have made the better leader.

Between Optimus and Rodimus.. I'd say i'm more of a Rodimus fan. Just because he wasn't the unstoppable, great one that Optimus was. He had faults and lived in the shadows of his predecessor.

18. TF Ultra Prime

Ebay:
    You sound like Ultra Magnus from IDW

19. vert02

vert02 Member

Ebay:
    i dont know why,but i cant accept him as a leader...

20. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to add to this, I like that it can be interpreted that the Matrix itself is not infallible when deciding who would be the next Autobot leader.