Lets talk about Director's Cut versions of movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Recall, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    As we know certain films get released and then we find out that for a mirad of reasons the films were actually changed from the original idea and the directors vision wasn't achieved.

So eventually we get the "true" versions later, that are generally (in my opinion) a superior version. Like Aliens, Lord Of The Rings, Blade Runner or Dark City. Or even a complete re-telling i.e Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut.

I like the idea of a directors cut and generally find them more appealing and actually seeing the story be told in a way it was originally intended, or so we are told.

What are your feelings towards these director cuts and the general idea of films having multiple versions? Did you wish more movies had director cuts, or maybe that once a film is printed it should be left alone regardless of any possible improvements? Do you have a favourite or a directors cut you dislike?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

So long as George Lucas isn't involved they're generally ok.

Some can happily co-exist, like Blade Runner. I like every cut of that movie. Some are just pointless fluff to sell a few more DVD's.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I completely forgot about the Star Wars ones. The original versions of them are perfect aren't they, and didn't even need any form of "cut" in the first place. So I agree to put those more in the column of spinning for more money and Lucas is a cunt.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Terminator 2. The regular version is great, but the director's cut added so much detail that really added to the film. The scene where they remove the T-800's CPU and discuss whether to smash it or flip the switch that will allow it to learn is a brilliant piece of character establishment as it gives a more gradual curve to Sarah's transition from "Holy shit, a Terminator!" to "I respect this being as a fellow warrior." The various bits toward the end where the T-1000 starts having trouble with it's shapeshifting abilities were also good, and subtly showed that the T-1000 wasn't totally invulnerable. These scenes really should have been in the original release.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I generally like them, as they expand upon the movie and show a bit more detail that usually helps explain parts better, improve characterization or just flesh out the movie overall. I'm not sure if the LotR extended editions count or not, but those would probably be my favorite director's cuts. While there aren't any director's cuts I've seen that I actively dislike, I'm somewhat ambivalent about the Terminator 2 extended edition. The added scenes were great for fleshing out the characters and providing some valuable information (T1000 malfunctioning), but I thought all the additions slowed the plot down too much, compared to the theatrical version.

Not a reflection on the quality of the movie, but it would have been nice if they'd released the Ultimate Cut of Watchmen right away instead of having three other releases before finally integrating everything (theatrical edition, director's cut separately, Black Freighter separately).

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah, a lot of the time the "director's cut" is just a cheap cash-in of an alternate cut rather than something with increased artistic value over the original.

But I agree on the above sentiments regarding Blade Runner and Terminator 2. What's people's general feelings over the director's cut of Aliens?

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I really like it. The sentry gun scene I feel added a lot, even though you really don't see much it really helps add the suspense and when the Aliens bust into the control room, you have a sense of the quantity and eagerness of the Aliens. Also it actually makes the Marines seem like thay have a fighting chance, so when they got killed off it has more of an impact.

Also back story on Ripley is great, she had a daughter and we know now her fate. It adds to the angst of the character, which makes for solid reasoning on the bond between her and newt.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Excellent example.

LotR "directors" cuts need to burn :mad 

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The extended versions >>>>>>>>> theatrical versions.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Overall I like Directors Cuts of films.
    Like the mentioned T2, it added so much more to the film.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Director's cuts are fun, but not deal-breakers. If a movie is good, a few added shots or spruced-up special effects aren't going to make me love or hate a flick any differently. In RoboCop it's neat to see the extra violence, and in Aliens I love the bit with the bugs testing the drone guns.

James Cameron put it best in the T2 commentary. Movies usually have ideal running lengths that studios, producers, and/or budgets set that have to be met for whatever reason. If a movie is well-crafted, the theatrical version still stands pretty damn good without the "what might have been." Star Wars is still awesome even if Greedo shoots first. Commando is still a mindless fun action flick sans the extended tool shed scene. And Return of the King will always be mind-numbingly drawn out with or without an hour of added fan-wankery deadwood.

12. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    LOTR extended version/directors cut/whatever is the only version of the film I enjoy. When I watch the theatrical version I just feel like too much stuff is missing.

The only other example I can think of at the moment is Leon: The Professional. Director's cut is so much better than the edited version - although the scene with Mathilde and Leon in bed makes for an uncomfortable moment. Not that anything happens. Or does it? o_O 

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Depends on the circumstances.

If its what was originally intended before studio/censor/whatever interference then its all good. Alien SE, Robocop DC, Abyss SE, Blade Runner FC and the like.

T2 SE is generally cool, but it could have done without those couple of extra shots of folks running around in the factory that stick out as being shot specifically for it rather then at the same time as the rest of the movie.

No time for cash grabs and the like, althought I don't so much have a problem with them if they admit up front what they are doing (Ridley Scott with Aliens DC for example) rather then try to spin some bullshit to try and make them sound legit (Lucas).

I'd give a nad for an actual DC of Lynch's Dune, but apparently he's still too pissed off about the whole thing to go back to it despite Universal making offers.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not to mention how cleverly that scene was shot, using Linda hamilton's twin sister. Such a clever idea; and yes, it added a whole new level to the movie. I remember seeing that scene in the comic adaptation and wishingit had been in there. And then it was.
    I suppose that's the problem with having to cut a movie for length. It's a shame, really.

15. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    First thing that comes to my mind is "Daredevil." That directors' cut is almost like a completely different film.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Or Alien 3. Fincher's version is infinitely better.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I woulden't go as far as saying that Alien 3 AC is Fincher's version of the movie thougth, just the closest Fox could get without his involvment and with whatever they still had lying around.

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah. Fincher has washed his hands from the entire film so you can pretty much forget about ever getting a true DC out of that one. The alternate cut is the closest you'll get to one.

They're not even "director's cuts".

19. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    True but I'm pretty sure thats what he was implying as what other versions are there?

20. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Well as far as I can recall, I think Jackson considers the theatrical cuts to be his "director's cuts". The extended cuts are just something extra for the fans.