Let's See Some Added Details and Panel Lining!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rattraprules98, Sep 17, 2011.

1. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently working on DOTM Thundercracker and Generations Warpath

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    What did you use? Those are really way too thick. If you were using a wash, you didn't thin it enough.

The ink/paint/whatever leaked into thunderwing's seams on his legs, and now you've got that lined unintentionally on at least one leg from what I can see. He really should have been taken apart first.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I'm glad I didn't go that far on my Thunderwing...

4. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    To be fair, silver sharpies are really great in a pinch. Not for panel lining, but touching up silver faces and stuff, it's great.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I like it a little more on Thunderwing. I sort of like it from a weathering standpoint...at least the application makes it seem as if it was intended as weathering.

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Yes, I have one and it really helps, but only on tiny details and careful application (I assume the gold one works too). It's the only exception though, the others really do look like shit.

7. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    This thread made me want to try my hand at this so my KO Ramjet got volunteered, didn't turn out to bad.
    [​IMG]

I thinned out the paint so it would flow in the lines, wiped off the excess and let it dry, then I took q-tip and some alcohol and cleaned up all the smudges and other little mishaps.

8. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    The figs I "modified"? Well, most of the ones I panel lined aren't with me anymore. Years ago I dug up a spare Armada Hot Shot and just markered him up to see how sharpies would work on figures. Honestly, I'd feel better using paint to modify the color of any figure. Panel lining though? I don't really know much about it honestly. The figs I full-out panel lined were done with fine point pens... Yeah, doesn't work that great. Never touched a paint pen or gundam marker in my life, so...

9. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

It's his opinion what he likes. If he wants to use Sharpies on his figure that's his choice, it's not up to you to tell him what looks better or worse. I personally think his panel lines look fine. Sure there are better options out there, but to spew like that isn't necessary.

10. rattraprules98

News Credits:
    Thank you(even tough I haven't posted pics yet :lolol )

11. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't done Transformers, but for similar stuff I've used a black Micron Pigment brand pen and other tiny felt tip pens that can be found in a .005 tip size if you look hard enough.

I also recommend the .01 Gundam marker in gray if you want panel lines that are slightly more subtle. For extra subtlely, you can wipe the surface with a slightly damp paper towel afterwards.

12. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Its a discussion forum, where people share experience and ask for opinions. Its the entire spirit of the medium for people to share such opinions, especially if he has already ruined figures in the past and is trying to help someone not make the same mistake.

One guy is around 30, the other is 13. Who do you think has the most experience?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

The 13-year-old.

14. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope you're not taking on any custom commissions any time soon. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  15. rattraprules98

News Credits:
    I like you! :lolol 

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Personally speaking I've never really been that fond of the panel lined look on figures. It's very rare I ever see one that I feel looks better lined than un-lined. Sure there's always going to be molded details lost on an un-lined figure but often panel lining makes those subtle whispering details into bold screams that just jump out and stab me in the eye and they become all I can see when looking at the figure.

But more power to those that like it.

17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Color-matching the paint/wash/pen/sharpie/whatever is key to a good looking outcome.
    Personally, I don't like panel-lining unless a figure really deserves a little something extra.
    Take the deluxe Unicron for instance. There are so many subtle details on that mold that get lost in the sea of orange plastic.
    What I did with mine is gave it a darker tint using some Vallejo washes of sepia and black. Adding enough water to make it barely noticable on the first coat is important. Too much straight off makes it look dirty rather than enhanced. After that dries, add another coat, then repeat until happy.
    In the end, the wash was a deep brown, which went with the orange of the plastic nicely.

Black panel lining looks too 'heavy' on a white figure, and nearly ruins it visually. A gray or even sepia shade are always more appealing.
    When I used to paint miniatures competitively, I NEVER used black for any kind of shading. It was always a shade of the base color mixed with it's contrasting color. That makes a more natural shadow, and is more realistic.
    Same goes for figures. If I use black, it's always as part of a mix with another color, and never as a standalone shade.

18. rattraprules98

News Credits:
    Ok, so I have tried using pencil for panel lining... Not bad... And for the most part, I have stopped using Sharpies :) 

So, can we get back to the real topic of this thread?