Let's Play PC Roulette: IE 8 Beta-1 up for Download

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Bendimus Prime, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/getitnow.mspx

[​IMG]
    I just installed it, and can really find no difference so far when compared to IE7 except it now grays out the rest of the web address except the "main" site until you mouse over the address bar. Sounds like this will be out around the same time as Windows: Vienna (for those that don't know, since Vista was such a flop, sounds like MS is going to pull a Win98SE version of Vista for '09 codenamed Vienna at this time).

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

:inquisiti 

Seriously?

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The next version of Windows is penciled in for late 09 at the moment, but thats as far as his post goes. It hasen't been called Vienna for about 9 months and its hardley Vista SE considering that kernal restructuring is already in progress.

4. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I can't remember the last time I used any version of I.E.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

If hardware manufactures and driver writers didn't get their ass together for Vista, what makes them think that they are going to get their ass together for the next OS?

6. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I guess they are calling Windows 7 now aren't they? My mistake. But, the MinWin kernel sounds like the same pipe-dream WinFS data storage turned out to be.

All I've read that 7 will do differently is how it interacts with Tablet PCs, and does backwards compatibility through virtual desktops like Linux. That’s why I'm comparing it to 98SE; nothing but bugs of the last version fixed with a new interface.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

MinWin already exists and Microsoft plans more then far enougth ahead to have had 7's planned architecture in mind when developing 6's components.

Even if they wern't going to be using it for 7, theres still massive commercial incentive for them to productise it as a low footprint OS due to the imminent boom in dirt cheap sub-notebooks.

Considering that Microsoft are deliberately keeping quiet about 7 and that it has only just reached its first notable development build, I woulden't start stating the extent of its feature set at this point.

98SE didn't have a new interface and had more then just bugfixes in it.