Minor/Repaint: Let's Paint Prime! A Cybertron Prime Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by autobotx23, Sep 17, 2008.

1. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Howdy, fellow bots! Like everyone else, I enjoyed F_R's Menasor. For me, though. it was mainly for his Motormaster, cause it was a great and original Prime repaint, especially the head swap. It also kinda shocked me that F_R thought he was tough to paint.

In that same thread, a few other radicon's mentioned they had themselves procured a Cybertron Leader Prime, and planned on painting them. So, since I'm working on one now, I thought I'd point out some of the pro's and con's.

[att]13965[/att]

I would reccomend keeping his moving windows away from alchohol. Not even 70%, as it eats through the plastic pieces that hold the windows onto the pin. I tried to do it for only a minute once, and as soon as I picked it up, it broke. :banghead: 

I usually remove the cab windows and headlights before I strip the paint off, but I'm painting over them this time. Those plastic pieces become brittle when exposed to alcohol as well.

[att]13966[/att]

The back panel can be removed by the soldering gun method. Be careful, so that you don't tear the plastic on the thin side of the pin while removing the back panel. You can solder the whole pin out and remove the tire and bracket, but it sucks getting it back in, a real paint scratcher.

[att]13967[/att]

From there, it's all about sanding. Not many trouble areas, mainly the shoulders and the torso area need the most work. Also, if you paln on doing an advanced super mode (attaching arms/legs, etc) be sure to sand down the sides of the front cab/shoulders. The trailer will slide tightly right over these parts, and will jack your paint up for you. :lol 

Next up, we torture the trailer! Q's and C's welcome.

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Well, this is cool.

I never took mine apart. There is no original paint seen anywhere, no matter how it's posed. I found this mold challenging because there's a lot of potential to the detail. The windows were quite tough too. Those had to be outlined by hand, the edge which would separate the frame from the "glass" wasn't beveled enough to just run a wash through.

3. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, your MM was my favorite part of Menasor, particularly because of the ball joint you used with the head swap, sweet. I'd really like to see your take on the figure with the whole shebang, you know? Trailer and and the rest of the parts. Don't make me beg. :lol