Let's hear it for RID/Car Robots

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by deltaprime, Jan 2, 2009.

1. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I know the series has flaws, but it was the series that got me started on Transformers. So many cool figures (like the car bors.) and not to mention Omega Prime! Tell me why you love RID/Car Robots.

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Because it was funny, and it gave us robots turning into vehicles again. And Sky Byte ruled.

3. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It gave us modern day TF combiners that's really good (imo that hasn't been outdone yet ever since)

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    A flying shark who composes haiku. That's really all I think needs to be said about the show.

5. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

"Who's the baddest shark around? Skybite that's Me!"

Yeah, Skybite happened to be the funniest one....without being stupid too much.

But I really liked the Railbots....Rail Racer was a cool combiner.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was the 'traditional' alt modes for me - after going off it for a bit during BW/BM, RiD got me to sit up and notice TFs again.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I liked RID a lot. It's the only series I own the entire North American run for. It was THE repaint line too. It was really the only time in the fandom where we got repaints that were nearly universally loved (except for a few of the Ruinations).

8. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Neil Kaplan was fantastic as Optimus Prime! Just getting that out of the way. Ahem. I loved RID because it allowed me, for the first time, to actually own Optimus Prime. The first Prime that I actually had an access to. And how awesome he was. Plus, the other toys were awesome. Come on, Sony! Release it on DVD in the US!

Also, as a bonus, it was directed by Mike McConnohie, who was the voice of Cosmos in G1 and Hot Shot in RID. A little nerd info for you.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    RID is absolutely the last TF line where I loved the Show and the Toy Line completely. Infact aside from G1 and it's Japanese spin offs it's the only one. Beast Wars I loved the show but hated the toys. I disliked Beast Machines as a Show but liked some of the Vehicons, Armada - Cybertron were just meh on both sides, and I find myself liking The Animated Show despite what I see as a horrible art style, and I hate the toy line for the same design aesthetic.

10. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In the context of the year it came out, Car Robots was really freaking cool to 16-year-old Vangelus. :D 

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    RID blew me away. The Brothers were all great characters and toys. Prime and Magnus are some of my favorite figures. Scourge was full of win and Rail Racer was one of the best Combiners ever. Yeah, I like RID

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

RiD had the same corny, kiddy plots as the original G1 cartoon, but it knew it and had fun with it. It was a show that was just fun to watch and it always brightened my day (and considering it was on when I was in college, I needed a lot of day brightening).

It also gave us the "Evil Prime" concept (in the US anyway), which is great idea when handled correctly (and not overdone).

Plus, as most have said, all the original molds were all kinds of awesome. :) 

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    RiD is what got me back into Transformers. I hadn't gotten a new Transformer since my first and only Micromaster pack back in '88, but the second I saw Prowl I was in love. I finally completed my original RiD mold collection in November with the addition of Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus, two of the most amazingly engineered Transformers I've ever had the privilege to own.

Thirteen fantastic toys:
    [​IMG]

14. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Most underrated TF cartoon and toyline

15. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Toys - Cool. Animation - Cool. English Dubbing - Not much so likey.

And Rail Racer FTW.

16. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've recently started watching RiD on YouTube, and I gotta say, it's great! Yeah, it's kinda corny and silly, but in a totally good way. It doesn't take itself to seriously. The characters are likable and entertaining. The episode plots are generally good. Put me down for a DVD boxset when/if it comes out.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    KibbleFormers.
    i liked the line going back to mostly realistic cars and things.
    aside from some hard as hell Transformations, a decent line.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Contextually it was great, now not so much. The only good original thing to come out of it was JRX / Rail Racer and to a lesser extent Omega Prime. At the time yeah the car bros blew our minds, but they're not really that great. Oh and the cartoon was terrible. But I guess it kind of was supposed to be terrible.

Although let's be fair here, CR did produce this gem:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  19. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    This is the show/toy line that re-ignited my TF fandom. I'm a child of the '80s, I remember when you ran home from school to watch TFs, GI Joe and M.A.S.K., if you didnt, you would have NOTHING to talk about to ANYONE at school the next day.

I was in the ARMY when Beast Wars was on, I remember it was on right after PT every morning, alot of guys would run up to their barracks room to watch.... I wasnt one of them, I just couldnt get into the show.

I had just gotten out of the Army when RID started running on Fox Kids, I was anticipating the show, especially after an article on ToyFare magazine had announced the toys, and sadly, incorrectly announced Skybite as Skyshark(sad that they were wrong, I was too excited!), which was my nickname when I was in the 82nd Airborne, not only my nickname, my license plate read skyshark, my car was called the shark and my email still to this day is skyshark93@yahoo!

So his name ended up Skybite instead, still one of my favorite characters ever! My girls (9 and 4) just up and start singing the "who's the baddest shark around" song at random when we're out driving.
    The show was great, I enjoyed watching the original run, and enjoyed it even more watching it on youtube with my girls, it's the kind of show we could get into together! Yeah, some of the translation turns into cheesy dialogue, but I noticed that the kids and I would often laugh at different things, so I guess the show did it's job of entertaining all age brackets.

The toys were also awesome, when I saw Optimus and Magnus at the store I couldnt resist, I hadnt owned a TF toy since being a kid, so I got them both and started my collection. Those two toys have turned into a nice collection on display in my home. My wife often reminds me of what I said to her when I got those first two, "remeber when you said you would only pick up a coulple of these, and that you wouldnt become a collector?", having a sizable Star Wars collection already which she encourages, starting a TF one just scared her :wink: 

Anyways, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that it was this show/toyline that kickstarted my fandom again!

Sorry if I went a little long there, believe or not I had to edit myself, I could just go on about this topic.
    Later

20. Beemer

Beemer Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with pretty much all the comments here. The series that got me back into TransFormers with a BANG after the dark ages of Beast Whatever. Fantastic new molds, and I finally get to own Optimus! SkyBite was pure comic win, and for the first time in my life, I was introduced to a dub of a Japanese cartoon that actually took the time to craft a loving interpretation full of humor from a somewhat wacky source.

And Ultra Magnus DID have time to deal with it! Finally! ...By raping Optimus' body and turning into Omega Prime. Gotta love TRICKING someone into combining with you. Best combiner moment in TF history.