Let's hear it for Marvels new, "Heroic Age"! (SPOILERS FOR ASM IN THREAD)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Coeloptera, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Yes, the Heroic Age, a bright new dawning after the darkness of Siege.

Where stuff like this happens: scans_daily | Amazing Spider-Man #631
    scans_daily | Amazing Spider-Man #632

Yes, that is indeed
    the Lizard killing and eating his own son in an alley.

Woo! Heroic age!

Woohoo.

I guess they felt they had to go to the
    dead child
    well after DC did it in the nearly universally loathed Rise of Arsenal #3.

Really Marvel? This is your brave new direction?

- Coeloptera

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I don't call them "The House of Bad Ideas" for nothing. I can't imagine what it will take for me to buy another Marvel book.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Between this and Wolfsbane eating her dad in X-Force, it is now clear to me that someone at Marvel has an incest vore fetish.

$10 says the next one is Reed and Sue serving up Franklin like a Thanksgiving turkey.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

If Spider-Man had eaten a kid, sure, I could see your point, but its the Lizard, yo.

The more important question is why hasn't Connors' kid aged since the 60's and yet Parker and co. have?

Riddle me that, Batman.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Billy Connors had been a character you watched grow up in the comics. Spider-man was written like an uncle to him. But since no one had written about the lizard or his family in a while some idiot thought killing him calously off camera was fine. The problems with many of today's writers is they don't care about continuity and haven't read more than 2 stories about the bad guy they are writing, but they saw the cartoon. They have no respect for the writers that came before them, and mostly what they write are senseless random horrid events that shock the reader. Because that sells. Many of them couldn't write or develop a character piece to save their lives. Which is why most heroes have lost their secret identities and have no social lives outside of being superheroes.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Wasn't this before the Heroic Age started?

Anyway, one of the best Lizard stories ever told. But haters gon' hate!

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    ...Wait, huh? I read X-Force. She KILLED her dad, but I don't recall any eating....

8. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Will that Lizard be a playable character in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood? He's got the look down pat.

9. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Wow. That's just... disturbing.

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Well uh......wow.....then again the Lizard is a primal, insane animal so I can't TOTALLY fault it but still....

And yeah this is before Heroic Age. I have the issues in my pull box and the banner isn't on it last I checked. It IS part of The Gauntlet I think.

11. Coeloptera

Oh yeah, the book also carried an "A" rating. That's nine and up.

Don't forget the rape-in-progress that that site didn't feel the need to post.

Also, this pretty much renders Connors unsalvageable as a character in any reasonable sense. If he ever gets his mind back he'd really just kill himself immediately.

- Coeloptera

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Atleast it's not like that god-awful decision way back when were Kurt was actually in control of his actions while the Lizard and was actually a psychotic dick.

13. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    It's actually a really, really good story. The last few arcs of BND have been surprisingly good. This arc was favorite. I felt Connors and son had some usefulness and purpose for the first time in years.

14. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I woulden't worry, its not like any 9 year olds are actually reading these books.

Which, of course, is one of the root problems of the Direct Market business.

15. pirateguy withapplepie

pirateguy withapplepie Well-Known Member

This. The story was pretty well written, actually.

16. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Technically the the Shed storyline and Amazing Spider-man book doesn't come under the "Heroic Age" Banner.

Shed is the best Lizard story ever, and one of the better Spidey stories in some time.

Heroic Age is about letting heroes be heroes again, now that the registration act and Osborn are gone, That doesn't mean everything will be puppies and rainbows.

Bad guys still gonna be bad.

17. Chrono Grimlock

News Credits:
    I don't think the original poster actually read the story, more of a topic to drum up a slam at Marvel more than anything. But yeah, the post I quoted is dead on.

18. Coeloptera

Actually, I read a friend's copies. 3 issues.

I basically disagree with the idea that this was in any way necessary or appropriate for the storyline and was done just for shock value, the way the Ultimates line has been piled with corpses to draw readers in.

Killing Billy feels like a cheap trick to drive home how savage and evil the new Lizard and the Kraven family are as opposed to giving them any more depth or anything like that. Making the villains just total, kid-eating sociopaths is much easier than anything else. The Lizard's new power has not only been done in almost exactly the same way (how soon we forget Shriek from Maximum Carnage) but "shocking" and "intense".

Marvel's been on a killfest lately and I'm not impressed yet.

It's a stunt, and again, they better not have ever had any plans to ever use Dr. Connors again because there's just no coming back from this for him.

Oh yeah, I also still totally don't care about Kaine.

- Coeloptera

19. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    This really doesn't have anything to do with Heroic Age, this was part of Gauntlet that revived Spider-Man's old villain crew. They all came back with a new edge to them, and a few of the stories (Rhino's) were really well written. The whole point of Shed was to make the Lizard animalistic, far more of a threat than before... Really, let's admit, the first cast of enemies did not age very well, Electro turned into a one punch villain for a long time. It's disturbing as hell, yeah... and that's the idea. If you're disgusted, then they did their job right.

20. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yeah, I thought Shed was a great arc, and I loved the art on it. Connors is as dead as his kid now. There is only the Lizard, who looks to be deadlier than ever. Looking forward to seeing what they do with him next, although I doubt there are any plans to use him in the immediate future.

If you want to make a thread to bash ASM, you should make one about O.M.I.T. That story arc has been terrible.