Let's get the facts straight

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by optimusprime42, Jun 30, 2007.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    found this on don murphy's board.. link http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2075&sid=fcd387fdd2c287641739b1df0562253a

The movie is over.

Wow that was a hard one, but I must tell you it was so much fun. The most difficult actors I’ve ever worked with, besides Bruce Willis, are Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. They took every single one of my days for a year. But they are well worth the work. I’ve just traveled 36,000 miles around the world (in two weeks) and had the most amazing premiere at the Taormina film festival in an ancient, Greek-built theatre that existed well before the birth of Christ. I loved seeing the reactions to the film from so many different cultures. This movie really travels around the world. I’m so excited for everyone to see it. Thanks to all you that supported me on this film.

Just so I set the story straight, my budget started a $145 Million it crept to $150 and some change – I’m very proud of that – the fact that we are half the cost of all these other summer blockbusters. I see people doubt that out on the net, but anyone want to challenge me I’ll put a ten thousand dollar bet down on the table right now.

Even when the studio tried to ship me out to Canada or shoot down with Aussies - I looked but I knew we were dead up there. I needed my crew that I have been loyal to for years, they are the best in the world. Besides I believe American movies that portray America, should be made in America. I cut my fee 30% so I could make this at home. I knew this was right for the movie so I asked the other producers to join – Ian and Lorenzo did, and the two others (that came attached to the project) Tom Desanto and Don Murphy did not. That was my introduction to them – they did not want any part of their fee going to make a better movie. Things like that don’t usually sit well with me.

Now that the movie is done I get strange questions from the press. Like “how did Tom control the set”? What? “ How did Tom and Don control you?” What the fuck. “How was it working with Tom and Don who knew Transformers so well?” “We heard Tom wrote the story – he had a 90 page treatment, right?” Okay stop. Let me take you back in time. Tom and Don are very nice guys, but let’s get some facts straight.

Tom had one creative meeting with me for one hour and ten minutes to be exact about a year ago. He told he was the über fan boy and was going to protect me from the minefields. The type of minefields on the Net like “Damn you Michael Bay” “You wrecked my childhood Michael Bay” and other various web death threats I received. Tom proceeded to tell me how much he had problems with the robot designs and script issues. I realized he was worlds apart in my vision. I said thank you very much, and then showed him my office door - I never really spoke to him again other then to mutter hello. He would occasionally come to the set with guests like it was some theme park. I never spoke creatively with Don. I read his notes kind of trashing the script and making me and the writers feel like a big shit pile. But during production Don was nice to me, he knew I was not going to talk creative with him.

One day not too long ago, the writers of our movie Alex and Bob called me in a panic saying all of a sudden after the movie was almost finished in post that Tom was applying for writer's or story credit. I was appalled because neither the writer’s nor I ever saw any treatment. Well, he applied for credit, but the Writer’s Guild shot him down, denied him.

But what made my blood curl was something that was on the Net with Tom at the Saturn awards on IESB.net where they interviewed him about the movie – a movie I might add he had not seen yet. He acted very much like he did. Check it out as he vamps through the questions, and how Hugo put his “thumb print on it”. Give me a break the guy was lying through his teeth - he had seen nada, nothing until the press screening.

So that’s the real truth, I had to say it, cause I'm tired of answering these questions.

What these guys did do was stuck with a ‘silly toy movie’ and pushed it around town and kept the faith after everyone turned them down, always with the hope that maybe someone somewhere would make it. Now I commend them on that. Hats off to them, but trying to taking creative credit in the press let me just say it – irks me. Too many credits are given to too many people who had nothing to do with the movie. Hell even investment bankers with not the slightest idea of how to make a movie all of a sudden are big producers in town.

I guess that’s how it goes in Hollywood.

Bay

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay talking himself out of directing TF2?

3. Ed Bailey

Ed Bailey Must.. spend.. money...

I don't know what to make of this...

some cheers and thumbs down for MB, I guess? Hope next film the director/producers/writers work together a bit better and represent the fans while taking new directions.

*sigh*

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow. I've heard of being brash, but he just called out both Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy... hmm... man's got balls. I'm impressed. And hats off to him if what he said about taking his fees down by 30% was actually true. That impresses me more than anything else.

5. Dream Warrior

Dream Warrior Well-Known Member

"Besides Bruce Willis". Awesome.

6. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

<_< Wow, go MB for stepping up.

7. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Well I can't see him directing TF2 after this...

8. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    after all the hate and death threats he got for the first one? If anything, I can see him making TF2 his "Wacky Delly"

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Alright, who sent the death threats? :lol 

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I remember Bay paying for the final explosion in BAD BOYS out of his own fee (he got it back when the movie was a hit though)
    Say what you like about him, but Bay clearly doesn't need the money and I honestly think he cares about giving everyone involved (including us) the best movie he humanly can.
    Whether the final product is to everyone's tastes or not is another issue, but even some of the cautious reviews for TF admit it did take talent to direct and Bay may not be the 'hack' some see him as

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Where does it say that Michael wouldn't direct the second one, because that's a big leap from his post?

Several things are certain: the second movie will probably have a bigger budget, fans won't be as up in arms about the designs having grown used to them, and they won't have to work so much from scratch the next time around.

I say he'd probably still do it, but I can't see someone like DeSanto being involved and Bay certainly isn't waiving 30% of his directing fee.

12. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

Basically this is what you call the bridge burner... He called out on the net rug two big names attached to the production of this movie. That's not good if you want to continue on with the franchise. However, Bay earns some mad props for stepping up and putting this out there.

Now, if the movie does as good as many suspect... and Hasbro looks at Bay as the guy who delievered... he's safe if he wants to do more movies. Hasbro's the license holder and as such.. has the production staff by the ratchet. If however Hasbro decides that Bay wasn't so much for the cause of the movie... who knows who could do TF2.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It seems to me he just wants people to acknowledge the work he put into the movie and to stop giving him crap and being negative. He wants people to say "great job Michael" I think anyway. He seems upset that people are giving credit to everyone else but him.

14. The Demolisher

The Demolisher Banned

This is where it went wrong for me - he should have listened to Tom.

I like this Tom.

15. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

uh Demi.... just out of curiosity, after reading your thread earlier, do you like Tom solely because he caused Bay problems?

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. But he's still got mad props from me for saying what he feals about all this.

Based on Tom's comments in the TFCC Magazine last month if Bay had listened to Tom than we wouldn't have anything new or inventive for this movie. It'd be a G1 rehash.

17. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay and Spielberg are such powerful people in this industry, I seriously doubt Desanto and Murphy could take this project from them. More likely, Desanto and Murphy should put any ideas of working on the sequel out of their minds.

18. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    yeah go Michael Bay def but i was for him in the beginnning that is because i am one fan who has never been disappointed in a Michael Bay Film.....im glad we didnt get a G1 Rehash

19. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

True.

Exactly what role did Speilberg play in the films production anyway?

20. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The short answer is: He paid for it.